Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Security - The Thread
Yeah, it would be nice if security had any ability to track people on their own. It would encourage sleuthing rather than "HEY AI, TRACK THIS GUY", followed by the AI having to do that instead of whatever else they were doing, and having their life ruined by the irritated traitor/get reported for supercopping and giving too much information/get griped at for not giving enough information
You know, tracking implants are a thing.
I've played security a decent amount, and I've never seen anyone actually use tracking implants.

Not to mention that it requires injecting the person with the implant, difficult when the person does something that sometimes necessitates killing them (90% of the time, for the record).
(06-03-2017, 02:25 AM)Technature Wrote: I've played security a decent amount, and I've never seen anyone actually use tracking implants.

Not to mention that it requires injecting the person with the implant, difficult when the person does something that sometimes necessitates killing them (90% of the time, for the record).

shoot people with implant guns + tracking implants. pretty sure the implants don't get names cause of the host, just the location, so you can know where people are but not who people are. maybe we should add a thing where we can name tracking implants and also attach them to clothes covertly. maybe a qm crate that has a sneaky little bug that tells the HoS or sec computers where the bug is, general area i mean, as in room name. could help with when sec is tracking a bad man, just in case someone is a bad man, attach them to an important person to find their corpse later, and wouldn't be too op i reckon
It's partially the other way around. Tracking implants can be tracked via the regular teleporter, which will only display the name of the person being tracked and not where they are. You can use the teleporter to jump straight to the implanted person, but since you don't know exactly where they are it's a bit of a gamble.

You can also find out their exact location by using one of the GPS units, like the kind in telesci, but this will report their position via coordinates, which means you then have to calculate their position via GPS coordinates, a functionally impossible task if they remain on the move.
What if we gave Sec nukeop-style trackers, but for tracking implants rather than the disc? It would make it a lot easier to actually hunt someone down with them if you could see their general direction and distance at a glance.
(06-03-2017, 05:47 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: What if we gave Sec nukeop-style trackers, but for tracking implants rather than the disc? It would make it a lot easier to actually hunt someone down with them if you could see their general direction and distance at a glance.

ye
I would really like it if secmans had a "call for backup" button, because unlike in real life where you can talk while chasing a bad dude I frequently have to pause to say things. Some way of quickly communicating would really help sec work as a team, I think.
I was thinking, the camera system for Sec could be a bit different than AI's

In the past, someone suggested simplifying the list of cameras to a few networks of linked cameras that cover sections and departments, and your just cycle through cameras on the network you were on with the arrow keys. So you could say, pick the Medbay network and hit left and right to go back and forth through those cameras

Now, tag door ids in those camera networks with a matching door network, and a sec officer can watch for when someone opens a door, then switch to the cameras and search for them on the same network
(06-03-2017, 05:47 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: What if we gave Sec nukeop-style trackers, but for tracking implants rather than the disc? It would make it a lot easier to actually hunt someone down with them if you could see their general direction and distance at a glance.

Also put them in all their tazers and batons. That way not only is Sec easier to find when they're killed, but their killer might want to think twice about carrying around something that'll lead the other cops right to them.

Also also, if any of the zappers are used, it should send a PDA report to the rest of Sec and maybe the AI, with a cooldown so you dont get half a dozen messages of "RobustCo ThugZapper EX #DELTA-125901 discharged in Northwest Space" all at once.
(06-03-2017, 03:07 PM)Superlagg Wrote:

Also put them in all their tazers and batons. That way not only is Sec easier to find when they're killed, but their killer might want to think twice about carrying around something that'll lead the other cops right to them.

I am in favour of dissuading people from nicking sec gear and then using it for crimes (but not outright stopping them). This could play into a camera tracking upgrade. So if you imagine baton/tasers can be tagged with an ID, examining it might say *This stun baton belongs to Crime-catching MacGyver* and then through some similar process for tracking people you could track the equipment. Not an direct obstacle but a potential looming threat you might be tracked.

sounds good but would probably end up on the pile of 'things that sound good on paper but in reality are never ever used'
Made a couple of suggestion threads that relate to Sec gear, guess I should cross post them here.

New Sec PDA module - Flasher
Handcuff nerf/buff
Sec Helmet Buff
Stun Baton nerf/buff
Taser Buff
Back Mounted Portable Recharger
(06-05-2017, 11:02 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Made a couple of suggestion threads that relate to Sec gear, guess I should cross post them here.

New Sec PDA module - Flasher
Handcuff nerf/buff
Sec Helmet Buff
Stun Baton nerf/buff
Taser Buff
Back Mounted Portable Recharger

My problem with most of these buffs is that they would give traitors who get their hands on it the same advantages, a lot of these would be seriously overpowered in the hands of a stealth traitor or mindslave. The helmet and cuff ones are good though.
Well, to be fair, any equipment on the station is going to run risk of falling into people's hands. I tried to make the weapons less useful for rampaging traitors then they currently are.

I do think modifying existing equipment is the way to go, rather than adding a ton of new items. The less to carry the better