Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Chef - The Thread
This thread is dedicated to changes and improvements to the Chef. The guy/gal with the funny white hat and clogs.

Before you start slapping those keys, take a moment to read through the entire thread and get acquainted with what's being discussed and where we are in the process.

1. Discuss what needs changing
2. Prioritize those changes
3. Organize and take action

PHASE 1
Feel free to post ideas from other threads you have. This is just a brainstorming phase. We already have a lot of ideas out there, this thread is to organize all of it. (They never made a Breakin' 3 movie which is a tragedy. At least they saved the rec center.)

1. Prepared meals should have temporary benefits other than/in addition to basic healing. More complex recipes should, in general, provide more extreme benefits. Examples include:
    1. Resistance to cold
    2. Improved stamina
    3. Improved stamina regen
    4. A stamina "buffer" that depletes with stamina use in some cases
  2. Some recipes should allow creation of rarer/more exotic reagents (see Warm Donk Pockets), especially novelty ones (see Swedish Meatballs).
  3. Donk Pocket supply around the station/ship should be reduced at round start, giving crew more of a reason to visit the chef.
  4. Interfacing with kitchen machines/tools could use a standardisation pass. Allow drag-drop into oven/mixer/deep-fryer.
-Move the loafer to somewhere accessible by the Chef
-Give them a book with some of the more useful recipes/products, on the table at roundstart
-Give food some minor buffs, like boosted stamina regen for X time or free regen/resistance to/from a certain damage type for X time.
On the Destiny map, the chef could really use a produce satchel or 2. Or add them to the kitchenmate vending machine.

The ability to cook multiple things in an oven at once (even if limited to multiples of the same recipe to keep it simple) would be awesome. I understand how this could be really complicated for some recipes.

Also being able to drag/drop like Mordent mentioned would be awesome. Thinking especially turning flour into dough one at a time.
(05-22-2017, 10:18 AM)Mordent Wrote:
  1. Prepared meals should have temporary benefits other than/in addition to basic healing. More complex recipes should, in general, provide more extreme benefits. Examples include:
    1. Resistance to cold
    2. Improved stamina
    3. Improved stamina regen
    4. A stamina "buffer" that depletes with stamina use in some cases
  2. Some recipes should allow creation of rarer/more exotic reagents (see Warm Donk Pockets), especially novelty ones (see Swedish Meatballs).
  3. Donk Pocket supply around the station/ship should be reduced at round start, giving crew more of a reason to visit the chef.
  4. Interfacing with kitchen machines/tools could use a standardisation pass. Allow drag-drop into oven/mixer/deep-fryer.

1. This is the most important. Its imperative to make food separate from chemistry and medical; it shouldn't thread on the toes of either and if it does its for exotic gimmicks in 2. It should avoid being needlessly complex but should also encourage the chef to make good food, some goldilocks zone between. 
2. I have no reason not for this, but avoid poisons unless produced in some special way. This is essentially requires a culture shift of sorts; now that people have reason to eat your food there'll lynchings for chefs that put bathsalts in their food.
3. Yes
4. Yes. Could use some code from Noah's patch, afaik drag+drop is a feature of the Borg's ovens.
  • More flexibility. I wanna be able to throw a bunch of things together instead of following strict A+B=C recipes. I want cook times to affect foods beyond how good it is. EX a steak that can be anywhere from rare to well done, eggs that can be soft or hard boiled
  • More dishware. Skillets, pots, pans, casserole dishes, pie trays. Stuff food inside those things to combine them, then place them in ovens or on stoves and cook them. Cook multiple dishes at once inside multiple things
  • More utensils. Spatulas, whisks, tongs. Have them change the nature of what you're making. EX: An egg in a skillet makes an over easy egg, whisking it first makes it an omelette
(05-22-2017, 11:57 AM)Sundance Wrote: 4. Yes. Could use some code from Noah's patch, afaik drag+drop is a feature of the Borg's ovens.

Unfortunately, this feature never survived the code storm and i'm still as of yet undecided about whether i'm going to keep the implementation or if i'm going to see if i can't think of something else
(05-23-2017, 03:58 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 11:57 AM)Sundance Wrote: 4. Yes. Could use some code from Noah's patch, afaik drag+drop is a feature of the Borg's ovens.

Unfortunately, this feature never survived the code storm and i'm still as of yet undecided about whether i'm going to keep the implementation or if i'm going to see if i can't think of something else

Actually, I think click dragging for ovens still works and is still in there.
(05-23-2017, 07:39 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 03:58 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:

Actually, I think click dragging for ovens still works and is still in there.

Really? I'll need to check that
a cookbook that exists ingame rather than on wiki would be delightful

same goes for chemistry recipes, really. you can limit it to meds/benign stuff if you really insist
(05-23-2017, 08:41 AM)misto Wrote: a cookbook that exists ingame rather than on wiki would be delightful

same goes for chemistry recipes, really. you can limit it to meds/benign stuff if you really insist

There is a cookbook ingame. But it's off-station. And unused.
(05-23-2017, 08:41 AM)misto Wrote: a cookbook that exists ingame rather than on wiki would be delightful

There used to be a copy of "To Serve Man" on the center table in the kitchen, not sure where that went. You can buy a copy at one of the book vending machines.

On the main topic, two threads have been made in ideas in suggestions that I know about discussing stamina and food.

Crew members could get a random "favorite food" each round too.
-buff Frosted Donuts, and remove the starting box in sec
-buff espresso and coffee ice-cream
-remove donuts from the vendor machines, and remove most donk boxes
-increase the time donks stay warm
-reinforce or fucking remove the windows in the bar on cog 1
-a sauce packet machine
-fix hand cooked pizza (always tastes terrible). maybe let us actually bake it
-make hand cooked pizza more robust
-a better way to make cheese than smoking cheese all over the place
-have a nerfed version of MSG be available via QM
- on cog 2 please put the peanut butter and maple syrup in the kitchen somewhere else because they are literally eaten by remy before a human being can react and it's dumb and pointless
(05-23-2017, 10:52 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: - on cog 2 please put the peanut butter and maple syrup in the kitchen somewhere else because they are literally eaten by remy before a human being can react and it's dumb and pointless

Not even Remy, its a filthy wild mouse and the chef's arch nemesis. You may think you won when you killed and butchered it, but it already ate the maple syrup and is laughing at you from beyond the grave.