Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another Food Buffs thread
Wink 
[Image: JxWaPVo.png][Image: qKcBjM0.png]

Currently the only benefit from eating food is healing a slight amount, and only if you're above a certain threshold of health. Some foods have chemicals or you can put chemicals in them, but it's not enough to get people to eat something even once a round. This leads to you almost never seeing chefs, and if they are around the food they make piles up on the tables.

The system I propose is to give minor buffs when someone eats a food based upon the ingredients used. The food has to be completely consumed, not just a bite taken out of it. These aren't chemical reactions, but rather "psychological" effects, or something along those lines. Foods created in the kitchen would provide much better buffs than vending machine food on top of having more diverse ingredients.

Let's say someone eats a vending machine candy bar. They get the "Sated" buff on their HUD which lasts 2:30 and gives a small max stamina boost. They also get the "Happy" buff added to "Sated" since it was a sugary treat. Someone else eats a 6-ingredient sandwich from the kitchen, and gets a handful of buffs from each ingredient on top of "Well Sated" which lasts 10 minutes because the chef created it.

I have some ideas for more specific buffs (Botany produce gives the "Healthy" buff?) but maybe you guys have some better ones.

This would lead to Sandwiches and Cakes being the most cooked items. But at least everyone would be popping by the bar and going through their shift with a full stomach.

I made some HUD sprites but it probably wasn't necessary.

Attached Files
.dmi   sate.dmi (Size: 2.75 KB / Downloads: 290)
One idea I've always liked that comes up in food buff threads is having each player get assigned a random  favorite food and drink
Favorite food: THE MONSTER
Favorite drink: Suicider
I like this though, we need something to make the chef/sous-chef/waiter/barman not useless
The Barman already has chemistry to play with. Its the Chef who needs love.
Chef can be honorary barman since it's just a dinky wooden door, but yes, I want chef to be decent
eating a hot meal should give a few minutes of resistance to cold slowdown
(08-03-2016, 04:50 AM)misto Wrote: eating a hot meal should give a few minutes of resistance to cold slowdown

This! Tons of people would eat if it would counter cold rooms.
(08-04-2016, 05:20 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 04:50 AM)misto Wrote: eating a hot meal should give a few minutes of resistance to cold slowdown

People would spin in circles and fart if it didn't make them turn subzero when they stepped into a cold room
I'm not sure if the Chef is the way to fix THAT problem, but it could be one way
(08-04-2016, 06:16 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 05:20 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote:

People would spin in circles and fart if it didn't make them turn subzero when they stepped into a cold room
I'm not sure if the Chef is the way to fix THAT problem, but it could be one way

Another way would be to stitch the meals together into an outfit, like a sweater made out of tacos you can heat up in the microwave that'll keep you warm until it cools off.
clearly we need more craftable clothing
like, we could tear jumpsuits into swatches of fabric and a collection of them could make one thing or another, if you could access the recipe

so we can make a lady-gaga meat dress
(08-04-2016, 11:24 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: so we can make a lady-gaga meat dress

This is SUPER IMPORTANT, okay? This is the MOST IMPORTANT THING.

People used to use coffee this way. It was funny watching the engineering guys put on a biosuit and swill a bunch of coffee before going to work on a hull breach.
(08-06-2016, 01:26 PM)MollyMillions Wrote:

People used to use coffee this way. It was funny watching the engineering guys put on a biosuit and swill a bunch of coffee before going to work on a hull breach.

That reminds me. We need more coffee machines and cigarette machines throughout the station.
(08-06-2016, 01:54 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

That reminds me. We need more coffee machines and cigarette machines throughout the station.

This kind of stuff would be nice if the stupidly broken addiction to these was nerfed... again.

If you drink like, one cup of coffee, good luck for the next little while because you will drop everything and randomly slow down to a crawl. Hell, not even drinking more coffee will help half the time, that is if you can keep it in your hand!  Argh!
(08-06-2016, 08:07 PM)69andahalf Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 01:54 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

This kind of stuff would be nice if the stupidly broken addiction to these was nerfed... again.

If you drink like, one cup of coffee, good luck for the next little while because you will drop everything and randomly slow down to a crawl. Hell, not even drinking more coffee will help half the time, that is if you can keep it in your hand!  Argh!

To be fair, coffee has a pretty low addiction chance.

Nicotine though, that stuff gets you addicted really quickly.