Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
doors are shit pls revert
(01-29-2017, 02:58 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i like it and it makes combat more challenging

No it doesn't? It makes combat for aggressors easier. Aggressors tend to have the advantage anyway, so it just makes combat more imbalanced.

(01-29-2017, 11:14 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: As for the door crushing, I find it preferable to people being able to hold doors open indefinitely or stand on top of them when they close.
?
They can be held open indefinitely; you don't even need to be there to do it.

Take an open locker, put it in an open door - the door stays open. Leave that locker there till the door would have closed naturally and the door stays open until someone closes it. Naturally the same goes for some jerk in magboots.

I'm not gonna give strong arguments for this. If it's what people want, it's what people want. I just vastly prefer the old doors in respect to gameplay. New doors are more 'realistic' I guess.
I can tolerate everything about the new doors but the sprites. You have to be fucking spot on when closing them and it's just a giant pain and really needs something to be fix. Any security player can tell you trying to shut red security doors is a battle by itself.

Or the Doors at the bridge. I've had my ID stolen countless times cause I would be a HoP and another head would use the door and not close it. Only to have me rushing to the door helplessly trying to locate the sprite that has now become super small and almost overlapping the firedoor's edges so as I click I just click the firedoors and a bunch of greysuits run in and take my spare ID or push me down and steal my ID.
<ZeWaka> people are still up in arms and petitioning to remove doorcrushing patch erik

(01-28-2017, 07:09 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I've been gone since October and the door change still hasn't been reverted?
Jesus

Door crushing is a great thing, there is a small chance (read: <10%) for a door close event to be unsafe, you can keep doors open as long as you want, but if you keep standing there for long you start playing russian roulette.

I will punch whoever removes door crushing : - (
(01-29-2017, 11:45 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(01-29-2017, 02:58 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i like it and it makes combat more challenging

No it doesn't? It makes combat for aggressors easier. Aggressors tend to have the advantage anyway, so it just makes combat more imbalanced.

(01-29-2017, 11:14 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: As for the door crushing, I find it preferable to people being able to hold doors open indefinitely or stand on top of them when they close.
?
They can be held open indefinitely; you don't even need to be there to do it.

Take an open locker, put it in an open door - the door stays open. Leave that locker there till the door would have closed naturally and the door stays open until someone closes it. Naturally the same goes for some jerk in magboots.

I'm not gonna give strong arguments for this. If it's what people want, it's what people want. I just vastly prefer the old doors in respect to gameplay. New doors are more 'realistic' I guess.

things are usually stacked against the aggressor. now you can't just run away like a pissant and stand over a door for an easy out. unless you've got a stun weapon and get the first hit in, people just run around/away from you so they're nigh impossible to hit
(01-30-2017, 12:09 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: I will punch whoever removes door crushing : - (

No one in this thread has called for crushing to be removed (someone complained about the damage it does), they want to be able to close doors on things again. Or the sprite I guess, that wasn't even the point of the thread though. For those people, there was plenty of thought and discussion about the door sprites before they were added in the cog2 discussion thread (around here?).

I hate to be blunt/rude, but this feature was added as a promise of a funny thing that doors can do with a new wire (which starts cut by the way) and ended up with a little side thing being silently added because of an opinion on how the game should be that's caused glitches and problems that haven't been fixed months later.
Doors crushing people honestly adds nothing to the game. It's just frustrating. There's nothing to the gameplay aside from random damage, and random damage in game design just makes people angry.

That's just what I want removed. The doors being unable to close when blocked can stay, even if it makes fighting critters hellish.
there could be something to the gameplay if it were an ai/borg controllable function like electrocution, or something you could clamp down on ppl with using a remote signaller or etc.

it happening at random is apparently really getting on ppls nerves so that can go

and although i confess i make use of blocking doors open, it does detract slightly from the classic ss13 puzzle of ensuring you have the correct access levels or ways around them if half the doors on the station are stuck open
(01-30-2017, 04:28 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Doors crushing people honestly adds nothing to the game. It's just frustrating. There's nothing to the gameplay aside from random damage, and random damage in game design just makes people angry.

That's just what I want removed. The doors being unable to close when blocked can stay, even if it makes fighting critters hellish.

i think door crushing could be less binary

there could be more stuff like happens! like your arm or your leg gets caught and torn off in a terrible accident

or your jumpsuit could get snagged and torn off from you
(01-30-2017, 11:00 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 04:28 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Doors crushing people honestly adds nothing to the game. It's just frustrating. There's nothing to the gameplay aside from random damage, and random damage in game design just makes people angry.

i think door crushing could be less binary

there could be more stuff like happens! like your arm or your leg gets caught and torn off in a terrible accident

or your jumpsuit could get snagged and torn off from you

That is a good suggestion, i have some time this weekend to whip up a new patch. I'll see if i can make it do cool shit
What if normal doors were reverted, but red airlocks and fire doors retained crushing?
(01-31-2017, 01:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if normal doors were reverted, but red airlocks and fire doors retained crushing?

The door code is a unholy mess, i tried to fix it at some point but $life became a thing, and the patch system is also a mess especially because things on the other side of the wall keep changing which makes it rather hard to do these large refactors
If you ask me, the only problem is that the safety wire starts out already cut. Besides being annoying it also makes no sense. I know Nanotransen doesn't care about their employees, but what is the point of adding a safety feature only to intentionally disable it immediately?
(01-31-2017, 07:24 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: If you ask me, the only problem is that the safety wire starts out already cut. Besides being annoying it also makes no sense. I know Nanotransen doesn't care about their employees, but what is the point of adding a safety feature only to intentionally disable it immediately?

deep lore: the syndicate wuz here
real story: fuck the door/wire code

i'll fix it. maybe.
(01-31-2017, 07:24 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: If you ask me, the only problem is that the safety wire starts out already cut. Besides being annoying it also makes no sense. I know Nanotransen doesn't care about their employees, but what is the point of adding a safety feature only to intentionally disable it immediately?

a rat chewed through the wires of every airlock on the station and upon chewing through the last, he tried to open the airlock only for it to close on him and kill him instantly.

rip. can the amount of dmg be reduced, too? like it does 60-70 brute dmg which if you've already taken a bit of damage can put you into crit. it also instantly kills critters. it'd be nice if they could at least survive
i saw a polymorphed crow crewman die horribly in the merciless jaws of the airlock the other day

it was great because they made a comical squawk as they perished