Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
doors are shit pls revert
Quote:<Erik> but re: doors are shit pls revert

<Erik> create a forum topic

While making Nerd Crushers is fun, I think this change has caused a lot of problems.

Problems like:
  • Mobs and players are almost impossible to keep out now.
  • A lot of bugs
  • erasing goonstation history  frown
I think having doors crush people who try to close it on themselves is great. Restoring old doors would make it much more effective than the current functionality since people will actually try to close them. Tie it to a wire that needs to be cut instead of completely changing how doors function.
I can't click the doors to close them anymore because the sprite is tiny as hell
I thought door safety was already tied to a wire? Unless that changed today or something.
(07-29-2016, 08:23 AM)Gannets Wrote: I thought door safety was already tied to a wire? Unless that changed today or something.

The door safety feature works like this.

- Doors will no longer close when someone is standing in a doorway.
- Doors will crush, and hurt someone that is standing inside when the specific wire has been cut.
- Doors will sometimes (1% chance per close attempt) crush someone that stands inside a door when it's closing.

With regards to the bugs, I've been trying to fix a few of them but burnt out rather quickly whilst doing so as the entire wire system requires a complete re-write in order for it to be less hacky, It's still on my list of things to do smile
(07-29-2016, 08:28 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: (1% chance per close attempt)

It explains why some people still get crushed by doors.
(07-29-2016, 08:28 AM)ErikHanson Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 08:23 AM)Gannets Wrote: I thought door safety was already tied to a wire? Unless that changed today or something.

The door safety feature works like this.

- Doors will no longer close when someone is standing in a doorway.
- Doors will crush, and hurt someone that is standing inside when the specific wire has been cut.
- Doors will sometimes (1% chance per close attempt) crush someone that stands inside a door when it's closing.

With regards to the bugs, I've been trying to fix a few of them but burnt out rather quickly whilst doing so as the entire wire system requires a complete re-write in order for it to be less hacky, It's still on my list of things to do smile

I think it'd work a lot better if you could still manually close doors on people non-harmfully unless the wire's cut.

That would cause some hilarious industrial accidents when an assistant hacks open the door to genetics.
(07-29-2016, 12:05 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I think it'd work a lot better if you could still manually close doors on people non-harmfully unless the wire's cut. That would cause some hilarious industrial accidents when an assistant hacks open the door to genetics.

That's pretty much what I meant, sorry if the first post is confusing. People would try to close doors and actually get crushed rather than thinking "doors can't close on people now, I won't try it".
I certainly miss being able to close the door while on the tile. This combined with my small res and bad eyesight have led me to stop trying to keep nerds out of my workplace.

I love the premise, and I love being able to pile 50 airlocks on one tile and activate them all at once on myself to see what happens, but it generally winds up being just a hassle.

No offense, though. It's a good and fun idea. I'm just too used to the old ways.
How about closing it on yourself was still a thing, but then it snags your uniform and it takes you an extra second or so to move away from the door. 1% chance it also removes your clothes as you walk away?
I have strong feelings about this, the trouble is that they're in different directions -- at least different than how doors work now.

Heres what seems most useful and fun to me:

You can close an unhacked door on yourself/others, usually at no harm --
However a small chance (2-3%?) exists that you'll get some part of yourself bit by the door. This comes with some fixed amount of brute damage + a stun to emulate having to pull yourself free.
(and perhaps another small {10?} percent chance that you'll lose a limb.) (Or, just reliably damage anyone that is on the door tile once it clicks shut)

You can take this a step further, by hacking the door:
-Hacked doors shut quickly, and perform as they do now.

I'd also like to see the door able to re-open and shut faster -- though to balance this, anyone on the floor avoids damage (they tuck their legs to avoid being in the doorway while lying on the same tile) {why this? because spamming the door sounds more fun, even if you have to buckle your opponent to a chair before you can make proper use of it}
(07-28-2016, 07:56 PM)poland spring Wrote: I can't click the doors to close them anymore because the sprite is tiny as hell

Holy hell this is my number one complaint. I just love when someone runs into security cause I can't close the door like I used to before the sprite was change. Why were doors change anyway? I can't imagine they were as broken as they are now.
Doors sprites were changed when things were made isometric.
(07-28-2016, 07:56 PM)poland spring Wrote: I can't click the doors to close them anymore because the sprite is tiny as hell

This is literally my only complaint about new doors and boy howdy is it a big one. Closing a door is a huge pain in the ass and if I'm an AI or a cyborg I invariably accidentally close the firelock instead
Yeah this thread can't decide if it is talking about door-crushing or different door sprites which were completely separate things.
(07-30-2016, 01:34 AM)zewaka Wrote: Yeah this thread can't decide if it is talking about door-crushing or different door sprites which were completely separate things.

Doors are broke from the sprite to the way they work. Pls Fix.