Poll: Which server should be on secret?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
LLJK1 - The American Dream
67.39%
31 67.39%
LLJK4 - European Unifier
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
LLJK1 VS LLJK4 Which one should be the "main server"?
(01-26-2016, 02:40 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 10:26 AM)lambskin Wrote: LLJK 1 is definitely faster for me up here in Canada. What about having both servers run secret? Maybe automatic switching to extended when the population is low enough?

I kinda feel that something like this might be the way to go. Or reinstate the voting system like in the one thread. Or have scheduled extended hours/days.

Yes for both Frank and lamb. The voting system would be great if we had something like that.
As far as my experiences go, for both servers if the population gets to ~50 its unplayable no matter what. In fact, I felt like #1 ran smoother at high pops than #4 but that could just be confirmation bias. Normally with a station that large there are many air leaks and other sources of lag.
Server 1 tends to be better for me. At 40 players the lag is enough on both servers that I don't really notice a difference. I don't really care either way. I'll miss the 60-90 vs the 90-120 average ping, but that never stopped me from playing on 4.

In the end this is SS13; it's going to lag regardless thanks to Byond. We switched from 4 to 1 because the lag with 4 was unbearable for reasons (??). Now we're switching from 1 to 4 for the same reason? Please, just pick a server. We've had a lull in active players every time a switch has happened.

I guess the most logical choice, barring individual server/host issues, would be to look at the player population and choose the server most suited to the bulk of them. Switching based on timezones would be alright, but it might alienate new and old players alike. Voting is nice for an active server, but votes for extended would be very rare; even on low pop. Forcing extended on lowpop is logical, but I think the bulk of those players would just hop onto another station instead.

Apologies for the disorderly post; I'm tired and a little high from medication. HOLY SHIT PC GAMING!

edit: Honk
So I don't know if anyone else is having this issues but I am having an insane amount of trouble trying to get into server 1. I either get a "connection closed" , black screen or the window closes automatically. Clearing my cache was working for a time but now it just stops mid way though downloading the resources and give me a "connection closed" either way I miss out on round start. Send help.Frog Gonk
Let it be known I have the most updated version of byond
Somepotato helped me solved the issue in IRC and I am now able to play again. What a happy ending
Realtalk, Wire, changing 1 into a secret server was the dumbest move made in 2016 so far. The population is now split even further, between 1, 4 and 5, and now each server is sporting barely anyone, on a big map, and that sucks. You've also ousted the small group of funtime experimenters/new players who are learning, just because you think extended is a dumb game mode.
:downsbravo:
People can experiment and learn on secret. You know, during the actual game in this game of ours.

The low playercount isn't because of this.
(01-27-2016, 06:56 PM)quiltyquilty Wrote: You've also ousted the small group of funtime experimenters/new players who are learning, just because you think extended is a dumb game mode.

(01-27-2016, 07:17 PM)Wire Wrote: People can experiment and learn on secret. You know, during the actual game in this game of ours.

Yeah... secret can run as long as extended, and if anything it allows even easier testing sometimes as you would have access to traitor items. No idea why you would ever put it on extended in the first place, it's a very redundant gamemode that is for other servers. LAFFO
To be honest the only times this whole ordeal was annoying for me was during Monday evening when 1&4 kept getting switched making it where no one played the whole night and when LLJK1 was not letting me join earlier today.

(01-26-2016, 03:32 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Please, just pick a server. We've had a lull in active players every time a switch has happened.
Eng Left

Have to agree with this. Pick one and let's leave it behind us. I don't see the harm in having one secret (well two servers secret if you want to throw the RP server in) and the other extended.

(01-25-2016, 05:08 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Also stop switching 1&4 every hour. Thank you.

I made this post on Monday to voice my frustrations on the event
(01-27-2016, 05:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Somepotato helped me solved the issue in IRC and I am now able to play again. What a happy ending

Hey I think I'm having the same issue, what's the solution?
(01-27-2016, 07:36 PM)ShyShadow Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 05:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Somepotato helped me solved the issue in IRC and I am now able to play again. What a happy ending

Hey I think I'm having the same issue, what's the solution?

Clear your cache on byond, make sure everything is updated (your byond and IE) and put the BIN folder in the byond folder in your exceptions in your anti-virus

Even then this is not a sure fix as it has started doing it to me again. Granted I have to fight with one to get it to let me in but it has been somewhat easier now that I did that
(01-27-2016, 07:29 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 03:32 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Please, just pick a server. We've had a lull in active players every time a switch has happened.
Eng Left

Have to agree with this. Pick one and let's leave it behind us. I don't see the harm in having one secret (well two servers secret if you want to throw the RP server in) and the other extended.

To be honest, the reason that  I haven't been really playing recently is because I haven't had time to, which is a common explanation for low player counts.

I think I've only played on LLJK 1 two or three times since the switch, but I do think that it's a good change.
If we're talking about player count changes, you have to factor in seasonal as well as time-zone factors. It's school/uni/college season, so a lot of the younger players wouldn't have as much time to play.
I'm not saying that isn't a thing, but the other servers seem to have stayed pretty consistent if the lobby pop numbers are accurate. That and 5 currently has almost four times the pop of 1 and 4 combined, which I find both hilarious and awesome.

Go destiny! Here's to us!
Just saying guys I've notice a drop of players since last summer. The drop of players lately has only had to do with the switches and that seems to be over now or LLJK1 dying for a bit and then no one playing for a bit. But now since they are all running secret things should go back to normal