Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
(05-05-2017, 12:57 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 12:28 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: This is only tangentially related, but I have a question: are you still eligible to be a late join antagonist if you pick security?

I know it's not the case for roundstart, but I'm curious if it applies to late joiners.

of course not, that would be too fun

feeding the inherent distrust between the crew and security is fun for about five seconds and then shit for everyone, forever

it'll take care of itself on its own, i promise
The only people I ever see playing sec are new people or people who have been playing sec since forever.

The few rounds I've played sec were like babysitting a bunch of kids who do everything in their power to keep you from helping them, only for them to later call you shit for not saving them from the red-hot stove-eye that they touched. Of course, if you capture and execute the perp who just killed half the server then you're also shit. Let's not forget the low-key grudges that even regulars hold for weeks on end.

It was worse than being AI pre-AIborg. It takes a certain type of person (masochist) to like that job. I'll just stick to getting drunk in the bar or finding some interesting way to die.

:shivdurf:
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8398

heres a nice buff sec thred of ideas
The worst part about sec is people questioning your judgement and intentions.

Once, I helped this guy get his cuffs off after beepsy got him for carrying around a flamethrower. While I was doing that, someone came up and grabbed the flamethrower.

Then, the guy I uncuffed tried to fight him to get it back. I asked them to stop and was either not noticed or ignored.

So I flashed the thief, gave the flamethrower back, and then helped him up.

Then the first guy sets an unassuming third guy on fire and I have to taser and recuff him, while he claims they are a traitor

Meanwhile, a fourth guy comes up and points at me calling me shit sec for cuffing the first guy while I'm putting the third guy out with an extinguisher

Of course, at round end, the guy set on fire wasn't listed as a traitor or mindslave

It's like, guys I'm just trying to keep as many of you alive and ungriefed as possible.

Even if you have caught the traitor, and your smashing their head in the halls, think about what that looks like for me.
sec is dead because there is nothing to police because goon is for needs and not facepunchers of old

also-note all the rip people in the community in the thread
I'd say sec's gear is something that could do with a second look over it, especially after the movement update. Most melee and touch-based tools like flashes and stunprods are pretty useless for anything but prisoner control and surprising people, as you're unlikely to be able to nail a moving target with one.

Tasers are alright, but seem rather slow-moving and short ranged. A chase is almost always a losing prospect for sec, as it seems fairly easy for people to run right round your limited taser shots and lose you. I feel that the projectiles could be made a little faster and longer-ranged, to compensate for how fast people are now.

It's also important to note that tasers, flashes and batons are about the limit of useful weapons provided for sec. Flashbangs are highly situational, and will often result in their thrower being caught in their stun. Smoke grenades are limited, potentially harmful and often give the target a window of opportunity to escape. Anything in the armory is off-limits unless a HOS is around, meaning it's more frequently stolen and used against sec.

Spicing up sec's gear would probably make it a more enjoyable job, as currently there's very little variety in terms of tools or equipment.
(05-06-2017, 12:25 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Flashbangs are highly situational, and will often result in their thrower being caught in their stun. 

This particular problem could be easily fixed by making earplugs for sec more readily available. Adding them to the secvend machines seems like the easiest option here
Make sec headsets have earplugs that you can toggle with a button. Also let them hear the radio while they're on, at least the sec channel.
(05-06-2017, 07:28 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Make sec headsets have earplugs that you can toggle with a button. 
this is a very good idea
(05-06-2017, 07:40 PM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 07:28 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Make sec headsets have earplugs that you can toggle with a button. 
this is a very good idea

I love that too. It should only allow the sec channel to be heard. The rest of radio chatter and noises around you should get blocked out
what a good idea to buff security, its almost like i heard it somewhere before, months ago https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=7718
(05-06-2017, 09:06 PM)misto Wrote: what a good idea to buff security, its almost like i heard it somewhere before, months ago https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=7718

Good idea misto
(05-05-2017, 10:03 AM)Roomba Wrote: So far the major issue with sec lately is 'nonexistent', which kinda overrides any other sec-related issue on account of nothing can be done about/to sec players who don't exist.

IMO on low-pop rounds the crew themselves are fine for acting as security against baddies. Playing sec when there's so few people on just paints a target on your back for any antag to go after you.
That honestly depends. An antag can murder fiesta through low pop fast enough before folks can catch on.
(05-07-2017, 10:15 PM)The_Rain Wrote: That honestly depends. An antag can murder fiesta through low pop fast enough before folks can catch on.

Honestly, anyone who doesn't want to be the next bone to be murdered needs to have a plan go super spaceman at the drop of a whirlwind kick. I've been thinking about hosting some graytide self defense classes to teach scrawny nerdlingers to be robust shitstirrers. Cus this game is much more fun when the crew fights back.