Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
Security works best when they are in relatively large numbers, to make up with teamwork for their general incompetence and lack of resilience. Having somebody else to rely on also helps against feeling like every assistant is out for your blood.

We have a two tier system, supposedly to prevent hitler cops from griefing too hard the players, which are just as much hitler.
The Hos has much more access (although sec. got an upgrade) and crucially many more and stronger guns.
Players have less of an incentive to pick regular security when the Hos has much more and is unavailable except to whitelisted players.

Something could be done at least about the guns. The armory could be open to every cop. Every locker would contain a type of weapon: pod locker, riot locker, smoker locker and big game hunt locker.

However the locker would work like personal lockers, each security id can only open one gear locker per round.
This prevent a single cop from hoarding, but still makes the bigger guns available to regular security and brings them closer to the hos.

With shotguns in play much more often, they could get a nerf to 4 bullets instead of the current 8.
I disagree, cops are great at teamwork when it comes to being shit, they would open all the lockers and the hop would make more ids to open all of the lockers.
Hm
I agree and disagree at the same time.

My issue here is that this makes the tasers even MORE useless. Why even bother with the tasers when you can open the lockers for a riot-shotgun that instant stuns someone and knocks them back. Oh it kinda hurts, and officers shouldn't be taking them out when it's not a riot/badness everywhere? Too bad, most officers won't make that distinction and open them right away anyway, because you know, they're not the HoS.

So there needs to be some sort of buffer.

Here's an idea:
Have a new QM crate, call it the Riot Crate.
It contains: x2 Riot Shotguns x2 Pepper grenades x1 Tranq Refill.
The riot-shotguns come empty. The ammo? In sec dispensaries.
Security should have access to QM if they already do not have access (maybe not the computer)

And for the love of god, can we make please make the experimental crate security access instead of head access? It's the exact thing security would order for fighting lings, but they can't open the darn thing.
I think a discussion about peoples perception of security needs to happen as well. I know its been talked to death, but I think its something that needs to be discussed from time to time to try and make sec a bit more enjoyable and useful to the station.
hatmadder Wrote:I think a discussion about peoples perception of security needs to happen as well. I know its been talked to death, but I think its something that needs to be discussed from time to time to try and make sec a bit more enjoyable and useful to the station.

Truth.
I really like the approach the admins have taken to make security more likable. We've distinguished ourselves from being dystopian death squad you often see in other servers, our security are more like lovable rogues (or at least from a ore pee perspective, I try to act it)

In theory security right now need more ways of being more lovable. The ticketing system was probably one of the best things to come to security. The clothing choices are also great, although i'd prefer if they were more uniform (the Hawaiian shirt should be red) and picking them isn't making yourself weaker (the headband should block head blows equally to that of the helmet)

I'd like to see more work on the brig. I'm a stern believer that sometimes, some jerks really need a time out. That doesn't mean that time out has to be not fun. I wish the gym stuff actually effected you in a way that would make you want to use it, it would mean that security might actually work out in the brig with the prisoners. The toilet should restock those funky drugs every 5-10 minutes, and there should be a beaker in the brig so prisoners can do some thug chemistry.
I agree that sec isn't nearly as reviled as it used to be, though they're still viewed (and not entirely unfairly) as incompetent dopes. Though a good part of it may be that you just hardly ever see them around as much anymore, either from a lack of recruits or from a high death rate, people seem marginally less inclined to just outright knock out and strip sec officers in the hallway. I do think that people still have that mentality that if they see a sec officer running with his weapon out that he needs to be shoved over and robbed, but more often than not he has it out for a very good reason, as he was probably chasing a bad guy, and while you're pocketing that taser the vampire/ling/traitor comes back around and murders you both.

I try to help out sec when I see them these days, especially if they're actually trying to do their job in a non-shitty way. Honestly, I always just feel kind of bad for them.

Plus, more redshirts means more targets for the traitors to go after that aren't me.
I play Sec a lot nowdays and I find it pretty fun to be honest, as long as you take stuff only vaguely seriously then nobody really has any issues. Hav eyou dudes actually played much Sec recently?
Most of the time people are friendly to me and I am friendly back, like a real officer!!
Weavel Wrote:I play Sec a lot nowdays and I find it pretty fun to be honest, as long as you take stuff only vaguely seriously then nobody really has any issues. Hav eyou dudes actually played much Sec recently?
Most of the time people are friendly to me and I am friendly back, like a real officer!!

I haven't played SS13 recently, but when I have I don't actually have much issue with most people at all, most people help out, and I've often recruited people into security (most times they're not even a traitor #wow). Niceness begets niceness, like you said.

Still, it would be nice if there was more stuff that when security have to get mean, like brigging, that it's removes the unpleasant experience.
Urgh you nerdlords. Grief on security seems at an all time low.

The issue is, most rounds I still don't see more than one-two sec officers (including the hos), sometimes more spawn later.
I do think that having more officers from the start helps them survive fights and feel like they have some backup.
Getting access to some of the hos arsenal would let regular sec have some variety and give them the option to escalate if they are up against somebody good. This will hopefully get more people to play security.
Sundance Wrote:
Weavel Wrote:I play Sec a lot nowdays and I find it pretty fun to be honest, as long as you take stuff only vaguely seriously then nobody really has any issues. Hav eyou dudes actually played much Sec recently?

I haven't played SS13 recently, but when I have I don't actually have much issue with most people at all, most people help out, and I've often recruited people into security (most times they're not even a traitor #wow). Niceness begets niceness, like you said.

Still, it would be nice if there was more stuff that when security have to get mean, like brigging, that it's removes the unpleasant experience.

Being nice also makes people more likely to go along with any gimmick that sec runs in the future. Like a protection racket, or illeagle searches and seizures.
Let's form two security departments.

One which will have weapons, armor, and all the modern weaponry and bullshit.

The other will be styled after the police of the United Kingdom. No weapons, just a dapper hat and a vest.

I want to see how the two would do on the station. Of course this isn't an automatic guarantee that one will automatically be better because shitlords will gravitate toward both roles as well as decent people but it'd be interesting as a social experiment.
Put the UK Bobbys under control of the Detective

Oi nofink to see here m8 oi oi
Security is fun to be with if you're a non-traitor and just being an extremely rude, but non-lethal dick.
Weavel Wrote:Put the UK Bobbys under control of the Detective

Oi nofink to see here m8 oi oi

yes. an entire detective agency. scotland yard.

OI GUV ARE U BLEEDIN MAD OR SUMFINK M8
Sec officers need special miscreant objectives themed around internal politics (so they only negatively affect other sec officers.) Things like "sell drugs to the rest of security," " "help the detective cover up his drinking problem," or things like "keep the peace at the bar and don't answer other calls" or "be the station's community relations officer."