Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Makeshift weapons
(08-23-2016, 03:03 PM)BBEG Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 02:54 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 02:38 PM)misto Wrote: the zip gun should probably be locked to not firing anything heavier than pistol calibers, i m o.

I disagree on the grounds that whipping out a tiny little zip gun only to shoot a 40mm smoke shell is hilarious.

yes but pretty unbalanced considering how easy it is to get/craft one.

Yeah, but they're hilariously unreliable with the explosion.

I really don't think the explosion should be removed either.

Coding solution: Increment the severity of all ex_act() calls that are triggered by a zipgun-induced explosion by 1 except for the call affecting the shooter himself.

This avoids heavy collateral damage while still maiming the person who fired the gun.
Since I'm bored anyways I'll throw out the chances of the zipgun blowing up for ammo you can find/make/buy:

Suppressed .22/Fab:
.22: 10%

Detective's Gun:
.38: 10%
.38AP: 10%
.38Stun: 10%

Revolver:
.357 AP: 10%
.357: 11%

Hunting Rifle:
.308AP: 19%

Shotgun Ammo:
Flare: 10%
Rubber Slug: 10%
Smoke 'nade: 20%
AEX: 20%
40mm HE: 20%
Buckshot: 29%

MPRT-7:
RPG: 31%

Of course I could be dumb. I always tend to mess up simple calculations.

Also, some of these things are not like the others. :downs:
I've had this idea for a while so I'll just post it here:

A spud/vegetable launcher: Based on ones in real life, you can maybe craft one with some a pipe, an air canister, an igniter, and maybe a staple gun for the trigger. Can shoot really any produce as well as potatoes and do mostly minor damage really based on more or less what you use as ammunition. Might be more of a fun toy for botanists more than anything.
(08-23-2016, 03:24 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Since I'm bored anyways I'll throw out the chances of the zipgun blowing up for ammo you can find/make/buy:

Suppressed .22/Fab:
.22: 10%

Detective's Gun:
.38: 10%
.38AP: 10%
.38Stun: 10%

Revolver:
.357 AP: 10%
.357: 11%

Hunting Rifle:
.308AP: 19%

Shotgun Ammo:
Flare: 10%
Rubber Slug: 10%
Smoke 'nade: 20%
AEX: 20%
40mm HE: 20%
Buckshot: 29%

MPRT-7:
RPG: 31%

Of course I could be dumb. I always tend to mess up simple calculations.

Also, some of these things are not like the others. :downs:

you could increase the chance to explode on AP round's a bit considering they can you know pierce armor. and a few changes could be that only flares, explosive buckshot, 40mm HE rounds, and Rocket would explode the gun with varying levels of intensity the rest would just break the gun. and have you take the shot instead and lastly bigger caliber shots like from the hunting rifle can knock you on your ass due to the recoil.
I'm fine with tweaked explosion to caliber or more damage to the user, but firing .22s from a hacked manufacturer and being able to blow the fucking walls open is ridiculous. It's made of staples and a pipe, how the hell is the explosion blowing apart steel plate and girders as thick as tree trunks? Our one shitty makeshift weapon destroying the station and getting us screamed at for griefing/causing Breaches, The Worst Mechanic™ is a horrible gyp.

EDIT: also I show my support for pressure launchers/spud guns
(08-23-2016, 03:48 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I'm fine with tweaked explosion to caliber or more damage to the user, but firing .22s from a hacked manufacturer and being able to blow the fucking walls open is ridiculous. It's made of staples and a pipe, how the hell is the explosion blowing apart steel plate and girders as thick as tree trunks? Our one shitty makeshift weapon destroying the station and getting us screamed at for griefing/causing Breaches, The Worst Mechanic™ is a horrible gyp.

EDIT: also I show my support for pressure launchers/spud guns

That's why I suggested incrementing the ex_act severity for everything but the user. It should still cause MINOR explosive damage, but not nearly enough to result in any sort of breach.
Misto made some nice sprites for a pneumatic gun and shotgun/rifle thing. I say just regulate calibers to those things things based on what makes sense and make explosions happen when you mix
(08-23-2016, 04:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Misto made some nice sprites for a pneumatic gun and shotgun/rifle thing. I say just regulate calibers to those things things based on what makes sense and make explosions happen when you mix

Admittedly I like that idea, considering if you get knocked over by an exploding zip gun, any antagonist will almost certainly have your butt by the time you can recover.
Ironically pneumatic cannons and blunderbusses (which is basically a gun that uses liquid or gas, ignited by piezo igniter to propel a projectile, here have a toy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8LvxwwCK-o but actual weapons using same idea existed and still exist) on other servers are wery similar weapons, with the difference being that pneumatic cannon uses gas to propel, which is obtained from canisters and one canister can offer maybe 5 full refills, and while having peassure in tank, the cannon needs onnly projectile reloaded; Blunderbuss on the other hand requires propelant and projectile reloaded after each shot (propelant being anything flamable, from welding fuel to plasma or actual gun powder), and due to fire created while shooting, also ignites any fuel in air (so shotting in a plasma filled room would be about the same as lighting a cigar or using a flamethrower in that room) but the advantage of the blunderbuss was it hit harder (altho if ya ask me it can do same dmg as the air cannon) but main advantage was propelants were easy and plenty to find, and ya could easily carry a beaker or two and have more shots than someone with a tank or two for the airgun).

So to compare

Pneumatic cannon: - uses airtank (can be hard to obtain sometimes) any compressed gas for propellants, however airtanks have 5 or so full power shots, while setting the peassure release lower saves on gas reduces damage and range too
takes less parts to make than blunderbuss, can be shot in a room filled with flamable gas without igniting it

Blunderbuss: uses igniter or zippo for ignition of flamables as propellant, performance depends on propelants, and ammount of them loaded into the gun (max capacity for propelant being 10 units)
takes more effort to make than the air cannon (cause there are more steps and parts) takes more time to reload (cause both propelant, and projectile have to be reloaded) but the propelants are easy to make or obtain (litterally anythin flamable)
It is also a LOUD weapon, so not useful if ya wanna be stealthy.

I think we should make air tanks craftable, or made via fabricators (example as QM i never spawned with the tank, not even the emergency one) to not only stimulate space exploration, but also improvized items (imagine a jetpack that is propulsion only, uses the fire extinguisher and 2 big gas tanks) Speaking of fire extinguishers are they craftable? i had situations where we had fires and couldnt find any, someone nabbed them! (probably the pyro setting the station ablaze)

there should be also pistol variations, at least in the form of a firelock pistol, which while being smaller, and fits in bags and belts, unlike blunderbuss acceppts only one projectile (mostlikely custom projectiles like slugs and buckshots are made, in which case slugs are good vs armored targets, while buckshot, is good for unarmored targets on which it causes a lot of bleeding), this would enable peeps to have a gun they can carry with them in a bag or belt, thus awoiding beepsky aresting them, and this gun while having good damage, just like blunderbuss, takes long time to reload, so security can easily deal with any trouble makers, while allowing explorers and screw to defend themselves with ssomethin!

Another idea i had is a blackpowder revolver, which basically would be a six-shooter, with stronger firepower than the detectives revolver, but would have some major disadvantages! Making it would take a while, ammo would take a while to make too (blackpowder as propelant and bullets from metal). Pipe frame+ revolver frame+ cylinder would have to be put together. Due to the enourmous ammount of effort (and a LOT of different resources) taking to actually make black powder, this weapon could also have replacable cylinders, so peeps can have reserves ready! The cylinders would require 1-2 untis of black powder per hole (and cylinder has six) and a bullet per hole! So reloading the cylinder, would be blackpoder then bullet, repated until filled fully or however player wishes it, then cylinder inserted into the revolver!
This would be and should be the safe to use (a lot of fuckin effort) gun that aint a one shooter! considering the trouble needed to make it, i doubt anyone but scientists would make some for exploration!
(08-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Words

The only thing I was able to extract from that message is that we should be able to fabricate fire extinguishers.

I agree.
(08-28-2016, 10:47 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Words

The only thing I was able to extract from that message is that we should be able to fabricate fire extinguishers.

I agree.

then ya should actualyl sit and read instead of just glimpsing, if ya got time to check the thread ya got time to read it properly too!
(08-28-2016, 12:41 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 10:47 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Words

I agree.

then ya should actualyl sit and read instead of just glimpsing, if ya got time to check the thread ya got time to read it properly too!

I think what he was saying was that the rest was just a mishmash of sentences without real structure.

Honestly, I'm entirely against going all 19th century with gunpowder. Scientists already have enough ways to kill people without giving them another.
(08-28-2016, 01:58 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 12:41 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 10:47 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Words

I agree.

I think what he was saying was that the rest was just a mishmash of sentences without real structure.

Honestly, I'm entirely against going all 19th century with gunpowder. Scientists already have enough ways to kill people without giving them another.

Mordent yer against almoust everything i propose, also the game already has 19th century stuff in it (even older) but none of them are craftable.

Also i just learned uqill is wery good material for melee weapons, and ironically the best melee weapon is... glass shard... yea basically make uqill window and break it ya got a powerful melee weapon... which is bullshit... i wanna see maces clubs and such used not fuckin glass shards which take 0 effort to make!
(08-28-2016, 02:55 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Mordent yer against almoust everything i propose, also the game already has 19th century stuff in it (even older) but none of them are craftable.

I don't base my feedback on the person but the idea. Sorry if my expectations don't meet yours.

I'm still against most makeshift weapons on the basis that in general it simply escalate the arms race with security, who already have a hard enough time. Against traitors/changelings they're going to likely be stunned or injected with something nasty before their weapon can do anything anyway.

The only use-case I can see for the makeshift weapons you've thrown out are against nuke-ops, who generally wipe the floor with the crew anyway. The notion of telescience away teams being sent down with whatever makeshift bludgeoning/gunpowder weapons the crew could cobble together on a freakin' spaceship/station baffles me.

In summary: there's plenty of ways for folks to kill each other already without adding more effective ones.
(08-28-2016, 04:20 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 02:55 PM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: Mordent yer against almoust everything i propose, also the game already has 19th century stuff in it (even older) but none of them are craftable.

I don't base my feedback on the person but the idea. Sorry if my expectations don't meet yours.

I'm still against most makeshift weapons on the basis that in general it simply escalate the arms race with security, who already have a hard enough time. Against traitors/changelings they're going to likely be stunned or injected with something nasty before their weapon can do anything anyway.

The only use-case I can see for the makeshift weapons you've thrown out are against nuke-ops, who generally wipe the floor with the crew anyway. The notion of telescience away teams being sent down with whatever makeshift bludgeoning/gunpowder weapons the crew could cobble together on a freakin' spaceship/station baffles me.

In summary: there's plenty of ways for folks to kill each other already without adding more effective ones.

Actually i think sec is pretty well equipped to deal with almost any situation. (though the could use something a bit better then phasers for a lethal response) it's just that there pretty much understaffed most of the time in most rounds you have 2 officers and detective maybe a hos or vice officer and i always wondered why the station has 8 basic sec lockers but only 5 sec officer slots maybe raise that cap.