Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40mm launcher/ammo improvements
Berrik Wrote:Here's a thought: if my idea of just loading throwable grenades won't work, what about a special manufacturer in security or something that you can stuff grenades/pipe bombs/chemnades into and have them turned into 40mm loads of the appropriate type?
Maybe some kind of way to modify the launcher itself could have it do this?
Berrik Wrote:Here's a thought: if my idea of just loading throwable grenades won't work, what about a special manufacturer in security or something that you can stuff grenades/pipe bombs/chemnades into and have them turned into 40mm loads of the appropriate type?
The main issue with this is why would security have a device that turns pipe bombs into 40mm grenades? Sec is rarely intended for lethal purposes, but bombs are definitely not a thing Sec would find itself using ever, so why would they have something to modify them for use with their equipment?

I can MAYBE see a device that turns the normal grenades (not chemnades) into 40mm shots, but still, might be a bit much.

Also, in the event such a machine comes into existence, there is the matter of the shells themselves. Standard shells come in a box deal similar to shotgun shells.
If the device is ever made there are 2 plausible ways for this to work:
The machine simply churns out one shell per grenade inserted, and you just keep them in a box. This would require a 40mm shell sprite, though.
The machine accepts chemical loads and churns out a shell box with as many shells as the chemical load can produce.
I'm just gonna bring this back again for the sake of keeping it relevant.
Just give the armory a workbench with sec tech. BUILD YOUR OWN BATTLE.

This would bring back chemical stun batons and junk, but in a way that only the HOS would be able to dictate who plays with them, short of a traitor showing up.

40MM casing would require a beaker (or a bag of liquid from the materials science room) and metal. Maybe blackpowder somehow if you want to get real fancy.

Also it would give the materials science system some more use, because security could get some cool gear without it being immediately OP since they actually have to make it by hand.
atomic1fire Wrote:Just give the armory a workbench with sec tech. BUILD YOUR OWN BATTLE.

This would bring back chemical stun batons and junk, but in a way that only the HOS would be able to dictate who plays with them, short of a traitor showing up.

40MM casing would require a beaker (or a bag of liquid from the materials science room) and metal. Maybe blackpowder somehow if you want to get real fancy.

Also it would give the materials science system some more use, because security could get some cool gear without it being immediately OP since they actually have to make it by hand.
The only issue with requiring a bag of liquid from materials science is that it would be a bit annoying as a sec officer to have to go get some chems from chemistry, go to material science, convert all the chemicals to bags of chemicals, then go back to sec. Or perhaps sec could have its own materials science thing to turn chemicals into bags of chemicals.
Since this was mentioned in another thread, I'm going to restate it again: I'm honestly not even sure why the riot launchers are even around; they're very rarely used for any legitimate purpose, and it's even more rare that they're used effectively. In almost all cases, they're used by people who loot security to run around and annoy people with, which is absolutely infuriating for both the obvious reason of debilitation and the fact that it lags the game harder than almost every other item in the game. And they're not even in the actual lockers? What?

A good solution might be to move them over to the armory. They seem explicitly designed for large-scale crowd control rather than your typical copping about, and perhaps a bit of a buff could be in order to accommodate this change in availability.
I'd positively love to see some more variety in the 40mm shells since that riot launcher never seems to get any legitimate use.
Look, sometimes you need to quell a riot. You could use capsaicin, but why not use ant smoke instead? get in not go out
(11-03-2014, 04:37 AM)Cogwerks Wrote: Six 40mm grenades going off in rapid-fire succession could be pretty rough on the server. Single shot launchers were an intentional choice to slow down how often people can fire them. I can give it some more testing but a six-shot MGL seems a bit excessive. We're trying to lean more in the direction of stealth and mischief with new gear lately, there are already tons of ways to rampage and blow holes in the station. I have been considering letting pod weapons be mounted on tripods though, so... hrmph.

I'm heading to Iceland today and coming back on the 7th. If I've got some time to waste at airports, I'll see if I can knock out an MGL and let players mess around with it a bit.
Is this still the case, regarding lag? Also that tripod idea sounds amazing
(06-29-2016, 03:54 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Is this still the case, regarding lag? Also that tripod idea sounds amazing

Particles cause nowhere near the same ammount of lag thanks to a recent lag murder by drsingh.
(06-29-2016, 03:59 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 03:54 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Is this still the case, regarding lag? Also that tripod idea sounds amazing

Particles cause nowhere near the same ammount of lag thanks to a recent lag murder by drsingh.

Hail drsingh, slayer of lag!
In that case, might I suggest the normal launchers become double barreled, with each barrel firing and loading separately. Swap which is firing by using it in hand. This way it has a bit more versatility with ammo types.

Also maybe color code the barrels red and blue, with a light indicating the current barrel for the sprite.

Locked in the armory, include a six shooter one, and most of the more volatile ammos, but have this one only able to hold one ammo type at a time.

Some basic shells for Security:
  • The current smoke rounds
  • Uniform rounds, which place replace the person's current clothes. By default, they have prisoner jumpsuits, but maybe a space vendor could have exotic ones.
  • Paint rounds, which just paint someone a color for help tracking them down
  • Bean bags, which are just stun rounds with brute damage
  • Scrambler rounds. They implant themselves in people and mess with electrical equipment, such as signal jammers or cloaking devices. Also a good anti-borg weapon

(06-29-2016, 04:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
  • WORDS

I love the idea of scrambler rounds, especially since it seems like a relatively unique mechanic that's not current accomplished by anything else.
Some advanced rounds for the armory:
  • Riot gas that acts like the smoke rounds with the addition of itching
  • Net rounds, which apply a net over the target, severely slowing them. Nets can be slowly removed by resisting, or quickley removed by cutting them with a sharp object.
  • Tracker rounds, which implant themselves into the target. Not only does it allow them to be tracked like normal tracking implants, it also emits a flashing light, and periodically beeps.
I have a stupid idea for the riot launcher but I have no idea if it would be feasible in byond or even logical.

Cluster flashbang.

Multiple tiny small yield explosions spread from one spot and rendering anyone close enough to one blind and deaf for a short bit. Like HOS just let off some sweet fireworks next to your face but you didn't get burned. Used mostly for messing with gangs and the occasional rev round.

Just imagine a grenade that propels those little bangsnaps everywhere except shinier and noisier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_snaps

Or maybe just remove the deafness and blindness part and make it a HOS party favor.