Poll: Should we give all HOS whitelisted players VOX access when they pick AI?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yeah
4.84%
3 4.84%
Nah
6.45%
4 6.45%
Seperate whitelist entirely - independent of HOS whitelist
35.48%
22 35.48%
HOS whitelist merged with new Whitelist
8.06%
5 8.06%
As above, but with Mentor whitelist added too!
45.16%
28 45.16%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VOX whitelist
Mentor whitelist too imo, they've proven themselves to the community so i don't see what playing security well has to do with it. Mentor's always on and not a job like hos is, and the hos players are also mentors already.

:synpa:
Give it to mentors imho. They hit the standard for "not a shitty player." Locking it behind HoS seems a little silly considering the two roles are so different. Also, admins will presumably still be able to mute vox when players are bad with it.
I'm going to fill the human trait of "Rational Self-Interest" and say to make it a white-list separate from mentors, but realistically it's probably going to end up as a mentor white-list to primarily reduce hassle.

and thus I'll never use the vox, not that I play AI that often.
While admittedly tooting the horn of my own class group, I know most other mentors to be pretty reasonable dudes who I don't imagine would be shitty with VOX. HoS requirement seems sort of byzantine, partly because they're very different and partly because I would never in my life want to be HoS and locking part of AI's (admittedly silly) functionality behind that is yet another reason people would ken as to never fucking touch AI.
I wanna change my vote to it's own whitelist. Peeps changed my mind about it.
(06-29-2016, 08:32 AM)Gannets Wrote: Give it to mentors imho. They hit the standard for "not a shitty player." Locking it behind HoS seems a little silly considering the two roles are so different. Also, admins will presumably still be able to mute vox when players are bad with it.

Locking it behind HoS does seem silly, but so does automatically granting it to all mentors. I'm sure there's quite a few mentors who don't even play AI and who probably won't be persuaded by this change to start playing it.

On the flipside, an AI player who's good enough and responsible enough to merit vox privileges would also most likely be a good mentor, since the qualities behind an effective AI (knowledgeable regarding relatively complex mechanics, helpful, sociable) are similar to those for a mentor, only significantly more specialized.

If I had to make an analogy, it'd be to the medical field. Mentors are general practitioners, Heads of Security are trauma surgeons, and vox players would be neurosurgeons or endocrinologists.

They all went to med school, but two of them went on to take different specializations.
I'm gonna vote for mentors getting it, but it might cause a problem of people applying for mentor just because they want VOX (like others have said). Their application would still need to be for mentor though so it should be alright.
Mentorship does need the backup of other players, though. If it's an obvious grab for VOX, or someone who doesn't deserve it, they won't get either much less both.
I've got a quick question. Can I still make an application even if mentors are automatically included in the vox whitelist? I like writing things, and writing an application forces me to analyze myself critically, awakening me to a better awareness of my flaws and my strengths.
I forget, is VOX mutable? If it's mentor-wide then we'll need it.

It feels a bit like okaying somebody for driving a taxi, and then somebody mandates that all taxis are to be tanks. I want off that road.
(06-29-2016, 10:29 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I wanna change my vote to it's own whitelist. Peeps changed my mind about it.

Just click undo vote at the top.
(06-29-2016, 03:33 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 10:29 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I wanna change my vote to it's own whitelist. Peeps changed my mind about it.

Just click undo vote at the top.

I don't see any such option.
All I want out of this is the ability to mute vox. I like vox in itself, but it tends to get annoying more often than not these days IMO.
These are some good points, lads. I'll leave it up to the bigger admins to decide where to take this, but a lot of good points.

Now, to figure out why using VOX in the pre-round wait breaks everyone's legs...
Aight, here's the application template.

http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6698

Go nuts, nerds.