Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 2.59 Average
Removing Urine
(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: On the SS13 subreddit and some other SS13 discords I have seen people saying that all the piss and farts made them decide against playing goon. Would removing them really cost us more players than it would gain us?

reminder: tradition is the enemy of progress. "it's a part of goon culture" is not a valid argument.

if they can't appreciate the farting spaceman simulator then i don't know what to tell you crossarms
(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: On the SS13 subreddit and some other SS13 discords I have seen people saying that all the piss and farts made them decide against playing goon. Would removing them really cost us more players than it would gain us?

reminder: tradition is the enemy of progress. "it's a part of goon culture" is not a valid argument.

i am going to push x to doubt that anyone on reddit worth caring about is going "injecting someone with horrible things that make people discombobulate into a pile of random organs is fine, but farts? now that's a step too far", but i would love to be proven wrong so i can laugh at them

e: like, i'm not riffing on you, but on the idea that somehow pee and farts are a step too far, when this is a game literally entirely based around getting randomly selected to be Authorized Murderer, Esq. and thus going around chopping people's limbs off, doing horrible frankenstein surgery, splashing people with chemicals that melt off skin, etc, is ridiculous.
(06-03-2021, 03:13 AM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: On the SS13 subreddit and some other SS13 discords I have seen people saying that all the piss and farts made them decide against playing goon. Would removing them really cost us more players than it would gain us?

i am going to push x to doubt that anyone on reddit worth caring about is going "injecting someone with horrible things that make people discombobulate into a pile of random organs is fine, but farts? now that's a step too far", but i would love to be proven wrong so i can laugh at them

e: like, i'm not riffing on you, but on the idea that somehow pee and farts are a step too far, when this is a game literally entirely based around getting randomly selected to be Authorized Murderer, Esq. and thus going around chopping people's limbs off, doing horrible frankenstein surgery, splashing people with chemicals that melt off skin, etc, is ridiculous.

Those things are all outlandish fantasy violence though, but everyone knows the terror of flatulence from real life experience.

We don't need weird people from reddit playing here, the streamers did enough to water down the community as it is. More people isn't always a good thing, IMO
I don't want people who can't appreciate a good fart playing on goon
To toss it out there

What if urine was replaced by a solution of like ammonia salt and water or something
(06-03-2021, 05:28 AM)Sov Wrote: To toss it out there

What if urine was replaced by a solution of like ammonia salt and water or something

Good solution.
"We don't need weird people from reddit playing here, the streamers did enough to water down the community as it is. More people isn't always a good thing, IMO"

This is a really lousy position and not one we are interested in indulging. The streamers brought in a ton of great players and new energy.
(06-03-2021, 03:43 AM)MoonJesus Wrote: We don't need weird people from reddit playing here, the streamers did enough to water down the community as it is. More people isn't always a good thing, IMO

I'm sorry, but I really don't like this attitude. No one is diminishing this space by playing here as long as they stick to our community rules.

Like, we're going to disagree on things because we all have different ideas about what this game should be, but everyone belongs here just as much as anyone else.
never forget that there's documentation about SS13 somewhere in an FBI file, with spacemen farting in it
(06-03-2021, 03:43 AM)MoonJesus Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: snip

We don't need weird people from reddit playing here, the streamers did enough to water down the community as it is. More people isn't always a good thing, IMO

Hi, I am a weird person from Reddit and I refuse your request to stop playing here.
First of all, i think we should pat ourselves on the back for the fact that we are able to discuss urine in an online spes game and end up with such a fascinating read.

I also don't feel very strongly about removing urine. I do however believe, that while claiming this WILL lead to fart removal is fallacious, removing urine does set a certain precedent, which is worth considering at least.

(06-02-2021, 07:13 AM)DimWhat Wrote: I'll start off by saying that I personally find urine to be disgusting.

Interesting to see the different disgust rankings of bodily fluids in this thread (vomit>blood>pee for me personally). While the levels of disgust might differ, isn't pee kinda meant to be disgusting? Ofcourse people can take this too far, but like others already said, i think that's why the rules exist, and that this should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Would removing them really cost us more players than it would gain us?

I find this a slightly scary and rather reductive way to look at this issue, or any issue for that matter.

(06-03-2021, 12:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: reminder: tradition is the enemy of progress. "it's a part of goon culture" is not a valid argument.

Tradition isn't objectively bad, nor is progress objectively good (and i say that as someone who often hates tradition). I strongly believe that gooncode being constantly worked on is what keeps it fresh, and part of what makes this such an amazing game. However i do believe that certain elements of a game can be what defines a game, at least on a personal level, and possibly broader ("goon culture"). While i understand that weighing this argument too heavily can stifle progress, i don't think dismissing it outright is productive either.

Since urine seems to be mostly an issue on RP, couldn't it somehow become part of the motives system? I could imagine something along the lines of needing to pee every so often, but also having a cap on how much you can pee. Seems to me this would solve the pee flood issue, although i have no idea how hard this would be to implement.

I also like the toggle idea. Makes me think of how in Rust you are able to toggle nudity on and off. I personally don't mind the nudity, but can also see how censoring it is ideal for streamers for example. Seems to me that everyone wins in such a scenario.

Counter-offer: Add a Hot Dog Water chem that can be extracted from hot dogs or mixed by heating pepperoni and water. Actual hot dogs contain sodium nitrate, which is an oxidizer and can be used in blackpowder instead of potassium nitrate.

Introduce new cattail plant to botany. The use is TBD, but actual cattail have a variety of uses as food, biofuel, clothing fiber, or livestock feed. Adding porktonium to the water of the cattail causes it to mutate into a hotdog plant, potency yields varying amounts of hotdog water.
(06-03-2021, 07:09 AM)Mr. Green Wrote: Since urine seems to be mostly an issue on RP, couldn't it somehow become part of the motives system? I could imagine something along the lines of needing to pee every so often, but also having a cap on how much you can pee. Seems to me this would solve the pee flood issue, although i have no idea how hard this would be to implement.

Worth noting that having to piss actually used to be a motive, back when we had... 5? 6? motives instead of the three. The others were sleeping, piss, and maybe another im forgetting. It went down to just hunger/thirst/hygiene at some point because taking a leak and turning your spaceman flat for a couple minutes weren't engaging for the purposes of roleplay like leaving your office to go to the bar is. One might argue that hygiene isnt mechanically that different, but I'd just say that's more an indictment of the hygiene motive than anything (i don't like the hygiene motive very much)
(06-03-2021, 07:10 AM)SimianC Wrote:

Counter-offer: Add a Hot Dog Water chem that can be extracted from hot dogs or mixed by heating pepperoni and water. Actual hot dogs contain sodium nitrate, which is an oxidizer and can be used in blackpowder instead of potassium nitrate.

Introduce new cattail plant to botany. The use is TBD, but actual cattail have a variety of uses as food, biofuel, clothing fiber, or livestock feed. Adding porktonium to the water of the cattail causes it to mutate into a hotdog plant, potency yields varying amounts of hotdog water.

Can I splice corn with a hotdog plant to grow corndogs?

I don't feel particularly strongly about the actual topic but this is important to me.