Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Make blindness crippling (and not utterly disabling)
(06-14-2018, 08:29 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 04:07 AM)Superlagg Wrote: I'd say to nerf blindness in general. Instead of being blocked from interacting with the environment (and yourself!), it should let you do that, but give you a whole mess of disabling debuffs, like clumbsiness, that trait that makes you stumble in odd directions and pick up the wrong thing, and needing to touch everything and everyone in your path to know what's there, nethack style. Crippling, but in a more interesting way that gives you a fair chance to fix it with a lot of determination.

Make this thread please 
Make it twice and mail it to every coder by snailmail.
Call your representative and demand action. It's been long enough

Done. Just got back from the post office.

When my spaceman goes blind, I can pretty much give up. By myself, there's more or less one thing I can do to fix it--find and wear the visor that spawned with the station. Even doing that is kinda exploity, using rightclick to interact with something you normally can't.

I think blindness, with how sorta-common it is, could be reworked into something just as crippling, but in a less gamejank-y sort of way.
A longstanding gripe. Where's my Ray Charles RP? Being blind sucks but it doesn't make you all-ass, no-hands.
Just make blindness blind you and nothing else. No clumsiness bullshit, not being able to see shit is crippling enough.
We talking wizard blindness or just normal blindness stuff?
Blindness in general. Right now being blind in any way puts an overlay on the screen that blocks clicking on anything.
Pretty sure years back blindness didn't have the overlay so you could actually click on stuff while blind. I think the overlay was added because back then blindness didn't really effect your ability to fight back.
what if it made you totally unable to see but you can right click on tiles directly adjacent to you to "feel" your way around?
(06-15-2018, 07:46 AM)Recusor Wrote: what if it made you totally unable to see but you can right click on tiles directly adjacent to you to "feel" your way around?

I'm cool with that. Let it use the old knocked out effect where your vision fades in and out so you can only see every once in awhile but you can still click on stuff.
(06-15-2018, 07:46 AM)Recusor Wrote: what if it made you totally unable to see but you can right click on tiles directly adjacent to you to "feel" your way around?

Right clicking can be kinda meh sometimes, so I'm not entirely sold on that being your only means

My ideal version would be to black out everything but the tile you're standing on and the one directly in front of the way your character is facing.

Maybe add a walking stick or cane to make a full circle around you when you're holding it

They should also get a filter similar to drones so they can't tell who people are except by their voice
(06-15-2018, 04:23 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Pretty sure years back blindness didn't have the overlay so you could actually click on stuff while blind. I think the overlay was added because back then blindness didn't really effect your ability to fight back.

IIRC that was how blindness used to function before current genetics. Back in 2012 or 2013. Your entire screen was black, but you could click anything. When I came back and that was changed it was kind of frustrating.
(06-15-2018, 08:42 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:

I'm cool with that. Let it use the old knocked out effect where your vision fades in and out so you can only see every once in awhile but you can still click on stuff.

Take the same type of proc that throws you off of segways / skateboards and have it give you a brief glimpse of whats around you. 
Literally learn the room by smashing your shins into the patio furniture.
As a clown main who often gets his eyes stabbed out doing simple things like heart surgery, i support this greatly.

Stabbing my eyes out doing surgery is a funny idea if it wasn't for the fact that I risk blindness just standing in the same room as sharp objects. The idea that you can interact with tiles in the direction you are facing and that you can see 1 or 2 tiles around you with a waking stick is great.

Another idea is perhaps add an echolocation genetic power that will give you a few seconds of sight. Or a power of tracking smell (that could be added to werewolves by default) where you can see outlines of humans and creatures, even in complete darkness or blindness.

One of the major issues that comes from blindness is being unable to click on your spaceman. I need to rely on passers-by to feed me like a little baby birdie. Though it is kinda fitting that the crew cant find their mouth with both hands and a map.

Blindness could also interfere with using manufacturers and vending machines. All the labels would show up blank (Cus NT aint springing for braille).
Bro we have VISORs if you can't handle them that's probably a feature
(06-16-2018, 12:47 PM)MrMagolor Wrote: Bro we have VISORs if you can't handle them that's probably a feature

I see you've never attempted to put on visors blind before.