Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas of Questionable Quality: Security Edition
(02-16-2018, 07:04 AM)SimianC Wrote: I think a Security Uplink, similar to the Syndicate Uplink traitor's have access to, would introduce some versatility to security and generally make the role more fun. Like the Syndicate Uplink, players would have access to a limited amount of NT Fun Bucks to purchase security items, items designed to increase their chances of survival and make them more capable of handling specific threats, rather than tools of outright murder. Giving sec players these options at round-start prevent the need to hunt for gear around the station.

For example, if Sec catches wind of a possible changeling, they might purchase an improved vest that is impervious to stinging or an implant that injects a preloaded chem upon winking. Other possible items might include the already implemented security baton, roll of duct tape, or box of cyber eyes. Some of the ideas posted feel like good candidates for Sec Gear, like the the metal foam gun posted above.

I like this.
(02-16-2018, 08:11 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 07:04 AM)SimianC Wrote: I think a Security Uplink, similar to the Syndicate Uplink traitor's have access to, would introduce some versatility to security and generally make the role more fun. Like the Syndicate Uplink, players would have access to a limited amount of NT Fun Bucks to purchase security items, items designed to increase their chances of survival and make them more capable of handling specific threats, rather than tools of outright murder. Giving sec players these options at round-start prevent the need to hunt for gear around the station.

For example, if Sec catches wind of a possible changeling, they might purchase an improved vest that is impervious to stinging or an implant that injects a preloaded chem upon winking. Other possible items might include the already implemented security baton, roll of duct tape, or box of cyber eyes. Some of the ideas posted feel like good candidates for Sec Gear, like the the metal foam gun posted above.

I like this.

This is actually a really fun idea that would add significant strategic depth to playing security! Fuck. Yes. Make it happen.
Agreed ten out of ten idea.
(02-16-2018, 04:00 AM)Tombi Wrote: Kind of linking into the crime computer thing, there is a threat summary from HQ which is printed out every round in the bridge. In it's current position and state it's mostly unhelpful but if this was moved to print out in sec and reworked a bit I think it could be invaluable to the observant sec officer.
For instance, if there were multiple print outs, one at each 10 minute mark each updating info about the round. Each print out could provide more evidence / things to investigate about the gamemode/antags. Obviously ruining an antags round before they actually do anything is pretty shit so it should be made clear that you should not act without a justified reason.
(02-16-2018, 05:06 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I do prefer the crime computer idea since you do have to direct towards someone rather than have it passively give you information like the Centcom report.
But... Maybe instead of hinting at who or what the antags are, Centcom reports could just slowly clear other people as trusted persons.
I really really REALLY like the idea of actually making the Centcom report actually useful.
I also want the crime computer, but we need a quick fix right now and this is easy to implement (the damn print-outs already exist and there are printers all over the station).

Hmmm. At first I envisioned a PDA uplink like the one traitors have, and didn't like it. After re-reading, I am thinking more of a Uplink computer, like the one in the Syndicate shuttle. And I like that system very much! We could even recycle the same 'pool NT telecrystals for the really cool stuff' mechanic.

(02-16-2018, 06:08 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: A couple of smaller things I'd like
  • Flashlights on the Sec helmets 
    - YES PLEASE! FOR ALL UNHOLY GAWDS SAKE, THIS IS BROUGH UP IN EVERY SEC THREAD. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE THIS!!!!
  • A pair of night vision goggles
    - No strong feelings.
  • Either safer to use segways, or a patrol vehicle of some kind
    - Would love this.
  • A security lockdown switch, that changes door access levels to increase Sec access while limiting others
    - Do you mean like a 'Lockdown the Security Sector'-lockdown, like on the bridge, or a station-wide type thing? I like both, we need something to keep the grey-tide out of Security. And we also need better tools for cordeing off a section of the station.
  • A device for making impromptu barricades, such as a metal foam gun
    - A player can carry a stack of 50 steel sheets, which can be crafted into 16 girders. Less of a priority, but still nice to have something faster
  • Traps for slowing down and catching fleeing people. At the very least, a mousetrap box in Sec
    - I like this
  • A weapons registry to whitelist people for carrying certain contraband
    - Would like this, but I don't see how this would work in code. Would it be like 'swipe ID-card on the machine, gives it a weapon permit'-sort of thing?
  • Some kind of code system for quickly describing a situation (Hostiles, how many, what kind, armed, injuries, deaths, what kind of response desired, urgency, etc) probably an accompanying PDA program to help with it
    - I don't know. Security has already got a bit of a steep learning curve. Can you elaborate on how this greatly improves on copy-pasting a few lines from chat.
  • PDA program for lights and siren effect
    - I like this. If only so you can spot the rookie cops by them testing it out at round start.
Does anyone feel like tasers kinda suck too much now? When it was a 1 shot stun it was definitely too crazy but now I feel like it's pretty easy to stim yourself up on easy to get chems and shrug off taser rounds. Maybe give security officers a spare battery they can quickly swap out to reload their gun? Then when they need to recharge they can recharge the gun and their spare battery and be ready to go again.

Whenever I play HoS it's less of an issue because I usually carry a taser, egun, AND a riot shotgun that I can reload on the fly. But I can't imagine how I'd handle some situations if I were a lone security officer with only my taser and baton. I mean really detectives have a better stun weapon than sec and they're not really supposed to be front line officers.
(02-19-2018, 12:16 AM)Firepower Wrote: tasers kinda suck too much now...
I can't imagine how I'd handle some situations if I were a lone security officer with only my taser and baton.
I usually carry 2-3 tasers for this reason; I know those are to share, not to hoard, but either I share my spare tasers around for the max of 5 officers on a 7-9 taser station, and you have backup. Or, more likely, you are the only damn Guard on duty, and anything that fits on your belt is 1 item less in the hands of the infinite grey-tide.
I dunno how I feel about tasers. It's by far the most common weapon I get killed with.
Remove the jailbird trait, it serves only to confuse sec as to who set them to arrest and waste their time.
I dunno, every time I arrest a jailbird I see it as a fun interaction. Handcuff them, tell them why that thing they did on the last station shouldn't be done cause it's an illegal, then let them go and set them to don't arrest.

Would be nice if other people didn't try to remove their handcuffs so I can explain that it's jailbird procedure though.

Seriously stop doing that.
(02-19-2018, 12:16 AM)Firepower Wrote: Detectives have a better stun weapon than sec and they're not really supposed to be front line officers.

Have Sec start with the same pistols but only get Stun rounds (Making the Armory FAR more useful so long as you buff the amount of ammo in the machine). Any smart officer will grab a Tazer as a secondary to use against low priority targets (That does not mean add any pistols elsewhere on the station, that would be madness)
Eh, I think if you wanna mess with tasers, just bump up their shot capacity a bit higher. You've really got to land most of them to make it count
(02-19-2018, 07:26 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Eh, I think if you wanna mess with tasers, just bump up their shot capacity a bit higher. You've really got to land most of them to make it count
I used to like this idea, but I've changed my mind. Making tasers (more) OP doesn't really fix any of the problems with playing security; it just aggravates the problems of tasers falling into the wrong hands.
Can we have VR prison cells with VR pods that we can bucklecuff prisoners into?

VR swirlies! And, they can't break out, AND they can actually do stuff without risk of being an idiot and extending their sentence because they wanna break out USING FUCKING STIRSTIR.
(02-21-2018, 08:31 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Can we have VR prison cells with VR pods that we can bucklecuff prisoners into?

Unbreakoutable (that's a word) prisons are bad.
Brigborging - A machine that lets brigged crew remote control a cruddy borg drone from their cell. If permabrigging is boring as shit, and VR might as well be telling you to play another game, giving them a stripped-down ghostdrone might make things more interesting.

Or a sort of borg suit that effectively makes the prisoner a temporary borg with fixed laws. Some kind of engaging punishment.