Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.53 Average
[Feature] GhostVR™ - Spectres plaguing your virtual realities!
Video 
There's quite a bit of demand for more ghost-distractiony-stuff, especially if there's nothing that really interests you to spectate the current round. Lots of players just alt-tab to do something else or log out entirely, some players who enjoy construction play as ghost drones. But if you're not even into construction, even ghost drone is not that viable of an option.

Meanwhile, VR spaces exist in the game, and they're completely underused and unpopular - living players are just way too busy for that kinda stuff, and even when they're not and can spare some time for VR-ing there's nobody to even hang out with. It's just a ghost town.

well why not make it a literal ghost town duh (PR)

Was also suggested in https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=9245 and https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6587

To elaborate on what this patch actually DOES:
  • Lets ghosts right-click and "move inside" into VRpods (todo: make this on click of VRpods, support for VRgoggles)
  • Ghosts in VR world spawn as "Virtual Spectre #123". All their chat is re-routed to deadchat, however, they can still emote in the virtual world. *custom, *me, etc. is blocked for obvious metagaming potential.
  • Human VR users will be able to interact with these ghosts - punch 'em, wave at them, thunderdome them, etc.
  • Solves the problem of VR being underused and ghosts being eternally bored! Lets ghosts run around as actual humans even if it's not on station and even if it's as a ghost mime.
noice
who keeps one-starring my fukken threads guehhh
Q: does the ghost occupy the pod, or can a regular spaceman hop right into the same pod?
A: Nope, the ghost doesn't occupy the pod!
How do ghosts leave VR?
What happens if I join VR as a ghost and decide to logout of it?
You just spawn back on station on the location of the vr machine

This is merge ready!
oh yes please
PLEASE!!
This is long overdue
You also need to disable emotes such as *airquote or whatever it was, as there are much more emotes that allow custom text to be added, also colons are bad.
Will fix colons and check over for more custom emotes
Minor suggestion that's slightly off tangent, but it's in this patch so it could possibly be transferred over another long needed suggestion, that is that ghost drone speech is also transferred to deadchat. I felt like a large thing going against the drones is the fact conversation (the one major pro of deadchat) runs dry if you make the choice to go drone.

Again, off tangent but if it's easy enough to do, then I would recommend it as it's sorely needed.

Also great patch on paper. It's one of those ones that it's difficult to poke holes in, other than as Wire pointed out in the thread highlighted that it may take the attraction away from drones. For me, i'm of the opinion that freedom of choice is paramount to keep people playing after the lull of death.
My god this is beautiful
(09-04-2017, 02:24 AM)Sundance Wrote: ghost drone speech is also transferred to deadchat.

I've talked with the creators of Ghostdrones in the past about this and they voted no to this idea. You're free to convince them.
(09-04-2017, 12:38 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:24 AM)Sundance Wrote: ghost drone speech is also transferred to deadchat.

I've talked with the creators of Ghostdrones in the past about this and they voted no to this idea. You're free to convince them.

..Would need to know their reasoning before attempting to convince anyone, i.e: Open to abuse / metagame, detracts from ghostdrone functionality, etc.