Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove door crush damage for polymorphed critters
The title. Normally, as a spaceman, the door crush is either annoying or funny depending on the circumstances. But people polymorphed into critters usually don't have the health to withstand this, and to make matters worse, the door safety that usually prevents it from closing on people does not apply to critters. What this means is that, out of nowhere, a polymorphed player could be instakilled just by going through a doorway at the wrong time. Which is extremely unfun.

Seriously, I may be blowing this atleast a little out of proportion by saying this, but in my opinion there's nothing more anticlimactic and unfun than getting killed as a polymorphed critter because of a door that closed right as you were going through it or even just standing in the doorway. Something needs to be done about this. Who else thinks this?
I personally consider this a feature and have died many times to doors as a critter, but if other people hate it a bunch I'd be willing to change it.
on one hand you are a tiny  critter so it would make sense that you'd get annihilated when getting crushed by an airlock 

if critters could be rezzed using the easily made strange reagent this wouldnt be so bad
I like it as is. Being polymorphed is a bad thing. Not as bad as old cluwning or old shocking touch, and I'd still rather be polymorphed than cluwned or even fireballed.

but I concede that I'm a tad odd and probably have unpopular opinions.
Personally I subscribe to the newfangled millennial idea that random, unavoidable instadeath thrown at you by the game itself is a design feature that should be avoided.

I'd be happy to see the whole doorcrushing thing done away with really. I don't think there's anyone who's a genuine fan of it in and of itself, only of how mad it makes other people, and design decisions driven by contempt does not a healthy playerbase make
(05-24-2017, 05:46 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: on one hand you are a tiny  critter so it would make sense that you'd get annihilated when getting crushed by an airlock 

if critters could be rezzed using the easily made strange reagent this wouldnt be so bad

fairly certain that strange reagent can rez critters on touch

maybe instead of a kill it could be just a stun?

"X is caught in the closing door! Looks like it's trying wiggle free."
I, for one, wholeheartedly support the outright removal of door crushing. You can't even use it effectively as a rogue AI since you have to mess with wires.
Hi I grumped about this a bunch here: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6833
Only if they dont add critter murder using doors.
(05-24-2017, 09:21 AM)Roomba Wrote: Personally I subscribe to the newfangled millennial idea that random, unavoidable instadeath thrown at you by the game itself is a design feature that should be avoided.
Lol. Roguelikes and PAC Adv. games loved to give you a glimmer of hope only to rip off your head and shit down your throat. Well, you're right on millennial if you mean the generation, as that goes back to 1982 or so.

Anyways, the only problem I have with a critter getting crushed in a door is how hacky doors work in general.

If you block a door for past it's auto-close signal being sent, the door stays open indefinitely. From then on, every time someone walks through it, it has a chance to crush them (if that's enabled) - resulting in you getting crushed by a door that's been open for 30 minutes. That's dumb.

There's also how the autoclose works in general. IIRC, when you open a door the autoclose timer starts. If you close the door yourself, the door will still 'close' itself. If you open a door, close it, and open it again - it still uses the first autoclose timer, so the door can shut in your face.

This mean you can't be absolutely safe without waiting at most doors to see if the autoclose timer is already set. You also have to close then reopen every open door you pass through if you want to be absolutely safe.

If yer gonna remove critter crushing, then remove door crushing altogether. I sorely miss being able to close doors on myself.
yes this is dumb please fix
also door crushing in general i wouldn't mind if it was done away with entirely
I don't think door crushing needs to be done away with. I just don't think it should be the default setting. Let it be another option the AI can tamper with on his doors (with the same warning as shocking) along with being hacked. Doors still close on critters (because mob code is whacky) but it doesn't do any damage unless the ai/someone else has tampered with it.
door crushing is annoying even if you are not a critter because it just is a "im gonna take a part of your health now have fun" kinda deal but it also is a good way to get rid of polymorphed people who are acting like a proper ass hole and murdering you because "i got polyd so it must mean i can kill people hurr durr" and its nice to do that (unrelated thing add a big red message when you get polyd saying you are not a antag dont kill people without a good reason you knob or someting like that ok).

but about door crushing it need to go or be changed a lot because its not fun and all the time i have been crushed was when its just annoying and not fun at all.
It's so incredibly unpredictable and does a surprisingly large amount of damage for something that's just a joke. Seriously, it can take you from 100% to yellow or even orange, can't it? As well as the stun? That's rude.

I like being polymorphed, it's funny, so the fact that it serves as a death sentence not from unruly players but every door in the station is irritating beyond irritating. It's funny the first time or two it happens, then it's an extra threat and a nuisance. I haven't enjoyed it, and I don't tend to take this game very seriously in common play.

tl;dr: don't make it the default, why is it the default, what the hell
most other things that kill you, it's your own fault, not rng
i could also take removal of the feature entirely-- hell, change it so that you can close doors on yourself again, but if a specific wire is fucked up it closes really hard and hurts you, there you go
why not give the lil guys more hp or a crit state so they dont die instantly