Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mimic Attempts Spriting
So I've been trying my hand at spriting these past few weeks, and it seems to be going fairly decently. As such, I thought it might be nice to make a thread to post my sprites to as they occur.

I've mostly been drawing Cambrian animals so far. At some point I will have to actually make right-facing and dead versions. The former is pretty much effortless, whereas the latter will take a little bit of time.

[Image: McR6M4h.png]

(from top-left to bottom-right: Trilobite, pikaia, opabinia, hallucigenia, herpetogaster.)
What if mining could unearth fossils and wierd dna samples for geneticists to make these
(01-27-2018, 11:09 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: What if mining could unearth fossils and wierd dna samples for geneticists to make these

That would be dope as hell!

Here's left-facing, right-facing, left-facing-but-dead, and right-facing-but-dead sprites for pikaia, hallucigenia, opabinia, and the trilobite.

[Image: 5YMtKLZ.png]

The dead opabinia probably need a little work, but I'm really pleased with how over-the-top goopy and disgusting the dead trilobite turned out.

Hallucigenia's name just comes from how weird it looked, but if it winds up ever being an in-game critter, I think it's essential that it have some hallucinogenic chem in its flesh, in case someone wants to make burgers out of it.
I love them. We need more alien looking critters for space and mining
[Image: ZvYrPNu.png]

Some extremely large viruses (a bacteriophage and a mimivirus). 
Maybe they could be revived from fossils?
[Image: uPIdxu4.png]

Left: Standard clown shoes.
Right: Advanced clown shoes

Cursed basalt and jade clown shoes, based on some conversations on the Goonstation Discord. They'd definitely have to make deep/loud/echoey crashing noises instead of squeaking sounds while worn. Also discussed:
  • Having it talk to its wearer like the obsidian crown does (but in comic sans and with shitty puns)
  • Making it age the wearer over time, causing their farts and screams and whatnot to get lower and lower.
  • Making the wearer occasionally hear honks in the distance (like how certain drugs can make you hear phantom grenade noises).
Today I learned to make .DMIs! Here's hallucigenia, opabinia, pikaia, a trilobite, and herpetogaster, with all necessary directional and dead sprites

Attached Files
.dmi   hallucigenia.dmi (Size: 1.11 KB / Downloads: 257)
.dmi   opabinia.dmi (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 305)
.dmi   pikaia.dmi (Size: 1.23 KB / Downloads: 267)
.dmi   trilobite.dmi (Size: 1.11 KB / Downloads: 247)
.dmi   herpetogaster.dmi (Size: 413 bytes / Downloads: 249)
[Image: GtS8cHD.png]
A real, actual public minimed that is not just the paint vendor with a bunch of shit spraypainted on it. A fine and cheap source of slightly-shittier medical chems than you're used to (ephedrine syringes instead of epinephrine auto-injectors, for instance). Was clearly not designed with medical products in mind; it occasionally dumps out more (or less) product than you've paid for.

Does not have broken or knocked-over sprites yet.

[Image: jlyMlRE.png]
I just realized I uploaded the cursed clown shoes, but never the jumpsuit/outfit meant to go with them. There it is. Wasn't able to make a decent looking mask to complete the look the first time I tried, but I'll take another stab at it.

Neither article of clothing has side or back sprites yet, which is kind of shameful given that I made these frontsprites (and slapped them on a clown for illustrative purposes) like a month ago.

Here they are at actual size:

[Image: JZ7wZiS.png][Image: CPF01gw.png]
Infovore (Fossil Critter)
From left-to-right: Adequately-Fed, Well-Fed, Overfed, Uh Oh.

[Image: 350kvwz.gif][Image: 10xcakg.gif][Image: riyslt.gif][Image: 2m3ikgg.gif]

Should probably do a deadsprite, or an animation of it disintegrating into nothing.
Here's a space mola mola:

actual size:
[Image: KRl9LFP.png]

enlarged to show texture:
[Image: uTAzctX.png]

I was originally going for something a little more realistic, but I couldn't capture the full... cantankerousness... of real live ocean sunfish:

actual size:
[Image: Cjm0rc7.png] 

actual sunfish:
[Image: 2hYdMQL.jpg]

Also I finally finished all the necessary sprites for a very old and just the grodiest medical vending machine:

actual size:
[Image: GLRAkYB.png]

enlarged:
[Image: lEkGlRQ.png]

John Warcrimes also asked if I could sprite some bread clips / oclupanids for a mechanic they wanted to pitch re: bagging food to retain freshness. Not sure if they ever posted it, but here's some p. utiliformis sprites:
[Image: C41bFI5.png][Image: 4Zc4Ifb.png][Image: b3Bnxsc.png]
I kinda iterated it until I arrived at something reasonably-sized for a bread bag clip. Come to think of it I should do these as those monochrome sprites that can be colored in later. Also should ask how that's done.

.dmm files available on request, since I haven't actually collated this stuff in dream maker yet.
A old-fashioned polished wooden vending machine to sell you patent medicines, radium water, and new vitalizing plasma water:
[Image: JyBUALU.png]

Here they are except super huge:
[Image: PMDKg3T.png]

Here is an animated .gif of the vending machine switching between its powered and depowered states:
[Image: mockup_patmed-power_depower-animation.gif]

Here's the base icon for the vending machine restock cartridges I made for Kyle's patch:
[Image: Plx5MWa.png]

Here's the cartridge icon as it will appear with the different overlays (corresponding to vending machine types) applied, as well as the overlay icon cycling through its different object states:
[Image: qOqXZcK.gif]
[Image: vendcart_MOCKUP_gif_overlay_1.gif]

And here's one in a different, browner visual style I tried out first:
[Image: SwGaly3.png]
holy shit i want that tube radio vendomat so much
Behold! The Nautilus!

[Image: HV5BozN.png]

[Image: ynvQQgm.png]

(.DMI included. Dead sprite not included, since all the the fish on Oshan don't have deadsprites (or rather, they do, but they're identical except for being more stationary))

Attached Files
.dmi   nautilus.dmi (Size: 1.22 KB / Downloads: 233)
I love this, thank you. Please note that Oshan fish only have bad deadsprites because i was busy and lazy, you're welcome to make more elaborate ones if you're inclined!
have sunfish and the other weird cephalopods and other pods been used ? askin for a friend ( i havent seen oshan yet im a loser )