Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Chemistry Thread (Cogwerks)
I just think chemistry should be more reactive and responsive.
Mixing random chemicals could do something, but most of the time it doesn't.

Just mixing things together to see what happens should be dangerous or hilarious, making science actually about being prepared for the unexpected, not just looking up existing recipes online.
atomic1fire Wrote:I just think chemistry should be more reactive and responsive.
Mixing random chemicals could do something, but most of the time it doesn't.

Just mixing things together to see what happens should be dangerous or hilarious, making science actually about being prepared for the unexpected, not just looking up existing recipes online.

Yeah, because the real content in the game is the tedious and boring nature of every job on the station and not the player-player interactions.
Ah, here's one that definitely needs to be added - a chemical which forces people to grow tramp beards. So many times I have lost my tramp beard, unable to ever get it back... But it'd make for a good chemical to smoke. Beards for everyone!
RedbeardRum Wrote:Ah, here's one that definitely needs to be added - a chemical which forces people to grow tramp beards. So many times I have lost my tramp beard, unable to ever get it back... But it'd make for a good chemical to smoke. Beards for everyone!

Don't Hairgrownium and Grog already do this?
Dauntasa Wrote:
RedbeardRum Wrote:Ah, here's one that definitely needs to be added - a chemical which forces people to grow tramp beards. So many times I have lost my tramp beard, unable to ever get it back... But it'd make for a good chemical to smoke. Beards for everyone!

'fraid not. Grog gives you dreadlocks and small beard, hairgrownium gives you, uh... well, I'm not sure, but it didn't give me a tramp beard. Bo jack daniels also gives you a beard, but with the unfortunate side effect of being drunk, and it's still no where near as large as the tramp beard.
RedbeardRum Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:

'fraid not. Grog gives you dreadlocks and small beard, hairgrownium gives you, uh... well, I'm not sure, but it didn't give me a tramp beard. Bo jack daniels also gives you a beard, but with the unfortunate side effect of being drunk, and it's still no where near as large as the tramp beard.
As long as you have any beard at all, you can go to the Barber shop and have it shaved into a tramp beard.
But SCIENCE is a part of the player/player interactions.

When someone discovers how to make napalm and sets themselves on fire or geneticist works on discovering superpowers, only to release a hulk on the station, who promptly breaks into security, bridge, VIP, and several other areas, that's science gone hilariously wrong. Chemistry accidentally blowing up in the name of science should be part of the player/player interactions, in the same way that things get set on fire repeatedly, or things get blown up due to traitor.
Dauntasa Wrote:As long as you have any beard at all, you can go to the Barber shop and have it shaved into a tramp beard.

barbers can only shave/cut hair to styles of a length shorter than what you've got now. depressingly realistic.
mozi Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:As long as you have any beard at all, you can go to the Barber shop and have it shaved into a tramp beard.

barbers can only shave/cut hair to styles of a length shorter than what you've got now. depressingly realistic.
What? Is this a new thing, because I ran a barbershop gimmick a while ago that gave everyone giant pink afros. I could do any hairstyle or beard style as long as they weren't totally bald/shaven.

Maybe there could be a reaction for brewing up some hobo wine.
Cogwerks Wrote:Maybe there could be a reaction for brewing up some hobo wine.

Tap water( finally a use for the sink other than washing gloves) + ethanol or anything else remotely alcohol containing( maybe using alcohol leather couch cleaner strips? or washcloths?)

Plus a glass bottle makes whatever the fuck those dirt cheap hobo wine bottles with all the packaging still on them are.

Also i kind of want to see some kind of nasty toilet drink.
But where will Joe Assistant get the ingredients for his nasty toilet wine?
Anticheese Wrote:But where will Joe Assistant get the ingredients for his nasty toilet wine?
In ss13 just as in life, you can always find alcohol if you know where to look.
How about water + cola (spooky dan's?) + space fungus? Space fungus is sorta like yeast and that's a pretty gross sounding recipe that any maintenance-lurking assistant could make without much fuss. I'm not sure about the cola part, but I think a vending machine step would be good... we've got some fruit juice reagents already, maybe adding juice boxes to the vending machines could satisfy that part. Hobo wine / prison wine is pretty much just sugar, whatever fruit you can find and yeast.

Speaking of toilet wine... what if toilets were more like bathtubs? Fill the toilet with reagents, use it for horrible hobo chemistry, give someone a polytrinic acid swirly.
Cogwerks Wrote:Fill the toilet with reagents, use it for horrible hobo chemistry, give someone a polytrinic acid swirly.

That sounds really cool.