Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Chemistry Thread (Cogwerks)
Chemistry used to be awesome but has been nerfed to the point where it is completely useless. The most lethal poisons can be found in Vending Machines, Botany, and the Kitchen. The most powerful sedative can be found in vending machines. Medicines have been made a lot worse with the addition of overdose effects, and can all(including a few chemistry can't even make) can be found in Medbay or Botany. Almost anything interesting or useful can be made without setting foot in Chemistry. Basically the only reason to go into Chem is to make smoke or thermite.

So, what I'm saying is make it less terrible. Don't go back to when chemists were gods among men who could destroy the station on a whim, but go back to a time between then and now, when they had been weakened but could still do some pretty cool shit. Add some poisons or sedatives they can actually just make. Add some cool shit they can do. Make it so that Stable Mutagen isn't terrible. Shit like that.
Can't they still make napalm?
Chemistry isn't 'nerfed' at all. There's tons of ways to instantly kill people with chemistry. You can blow things up with chemistry. Chem-bombs are back.

Chemistry is better than it has been for a long while. I don't get why people are saying it's been nerfed.
Superheated poly acid and a fire extinguisher is all you need to kill someone, as long as they aren't wearing a mask..
spergot Wrote:Chemistry isn't 'nerfed' at all. There's tons of ways to instantly kill people with chemistry. You can blow things up with chemistry. Chem-bombs are back.

Chemistry is better than it has been for a long while. I don't get why people are saying it's been nerfed.
sure there's a couple of recipes left that can kill people, but the selection of fun and creative ways to kill people with chemistry has been limited to a fucking minimum, since the whole no-fun campaign started. Luckily that thing ended a while ago
I think it's more an instance that people who know the really nasty shit keep it to themselves instead of flaunting it and inviting others to spy on them and figure out the recipes until its run into the ground, which is how it should be
Yeah. I've kept a list of all the chemistry and chef recipes I've discovered.

The chemistry section is mostly healing items.

34 helpful recipes.
6 more evil recipes.

Would like to make more than space lube+suicider smoke when traitor.
Conor12 Wrote:The chemistry section is mostly healing items.

I would disagree strongly with this.
backifran Wrote:
well, the whole nerf chemistry thing mostly affected the harmful substances because, well, its kinda hard to grief someone with healing, isn't it? right now i'd say that chemistry is only really good for either:
1) breaking into places with thermite
2) making medical stuff (which scientist never do)
3) filling ethanol in sleepypens
I'd like to see a textbook of some basic healing recipes and utility chems starting in chemistry. There's no reason to keep shit like Kelotane secret.
Cogwerks Wrote:I'd like to see a textbook of some basic healing recipes and utility chems starting in chemistry. There's no reason to keep shit like Kelotane secret.

This. So much. Annoying as hell to be on the verge of death from superheated air and to die because you couldn't remember Kelotane off the top of your head.
Nitrous Wrote:
backifran Wrote:
well, the whole nerf chemistry thing mostly affected the harmful substances because, well, its kinda hard to grief someone with healing, isn't it? right now i'd say that chemistry is only really good for either:
1) breaking into places with thermite
2) making medical stuff (which scientist never do)
3) filling ethanol in sleepypens

You can easily grief someone with healing. A blood stream full of hyperzine or tricordrazine is a giant advantage in a space fight. They've been nerfed too anyway.

Also, ethanol isn't good for that. Space beer metabolizes into like 4 ethanol per unit. Suicider is something crazy like 50 per unit.
spergot Wrote:Also, ethanol isn't good for that. Space beer metabolizes into like 4 ethanol per unit. Suicider is something crazy like 50 per unit.
exactly, that just shows how nerfed chemistry is
I understand that you are still capable of killing someone by using things in Chemistry. It's just that it's been reduced to two extremely boring ways: Heat something up and spray it their face, or set them on fire. And it's not really all that much more effective than just taking the extinguisher and beating them with it. And it really isn't all about murder, anyway. Some chemicals that you could make that have interesting but non-lethal effects would be great.

Chemistry is basically just a thermite factory now because every other useful thing it can make can be found in huge quantities in a big room right next to it. It's weird that someone in a chemistry lab can't actually make any sort of effective poison and instead has to just boil something and splash it into a person's face.
Daunt, mind naming certain items removed from chemistry you would like to see. Give names please so we can talk about specific substances and choose whether or not they should be put back into the game.