Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Chemistry Thread (Cogwerks)
Being terrible with chemistry has always been a problem, but people are going to abuse game mechancs no matter what, If we were going to hide or remove everything remotely dangerous, plasma would have been long gone as a source of fuel and bomb making would be gone, as it pretty much only exists for traitoring and the occasional singularity. Some of the dangerous chemistry recipes are actually availible online on other sites, and like already said, there's a lot of dangerous stuff on the station that you may not be able to kill literally everyone, but people could easily be duped into killing themselves with, such as dangerous cakes made with discount dans.

My point being is that there's more then enough dangerous stuff without require scientists actually blow up chemistry or another area in order to learn chemistry or bomb making.

Most of the dangerous things from chemistry that were repeatedly abused have been removed or otherwise changed, and most of the crewmen know better then to willingly grief the station with poly acid for the 11 billionth time.

I'm just saying a traitor guide new traitors can waste points on would be useful, People should already know better then to kill everyone on the station with poly acid/explosive whatever as nontraitor/non antag.

Most of the chemicals that were abused were all medical anyway, at least from a traitor prospective, They could fill themselves with drugs that made them impossible to stun until the coders added limits to what reagents could do before you got addicted. The mindinglyawful people got banned or calmed down once the admins started punishing people for overabusing chemistry.
The worst thing about the chemistry nerfs was that the equally affected chemist traitors as well.

Chemist traitor grenades? Usless, a timer/igniter beak array can do the same thing for free, you can only use 1 chemical in grenades and all the smoke/foam nerfs still apply

Fog Machine? too weak for such a conspicuous item, shares all the same smoke/foam nerfs.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:Here's an Idea that might make (awful) chemistry better. An anarchist cookbook style traitor item, Filled with traitor recipe's and designs that involve chemistry or reagents. Specifically to allow them to be openly terrible as a traitor.

Actually maybe it could be better suited as a eBook for pda or something contained on a pda cartridge, maybe with some other traitor pda things.

A how to be traitor guide that effectively gives traitors a few more options besides break into security/qm and get all the guns.
So then after somebody gets that once as a traitor and writes it down, they never need to get it again and can be shitty even when not a traitor?

Admins exist to ban people who are being terrible in the game.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:So then after somebody gets that once as a traitor and writes it down, they never need to get it again and can be shitty even when not a traitor?

Who gives a fuck. All the terrible people know the recipes already, they're hardly secret. As one of the worst chemists myself, I think it's kinda dumb to act like chemistry is a No Pubbies Club.

It would be kinda cool if there were some especially horrible recipes that required a Forbidden Reagent. Make that something that traitor scientists can buy, maybe one or two telecrystals per 30-unit bottle. Maybe bring back some of the really evil shit by having that reagent as part of the recipe? I'm not sure of what could possibly be worse than the current non-chemist murderpotions though.
Cogwerks Wrote:It would be kinda cool if there were some especially horrible recipes that required a Forbidden Reagent. Make that something that traitor scientists can buy, maybe one or two telecrystals per 30-unit bottle. Maybe bring back some of the really evil shit by having that reagent as part of the recipe? I'm not sure of what could possibly be worse than the current non-chemist murderpotions though.

See, that'd be a lot better in my mind because yes, Admins are there to stop griefy fuckers, but no, they can't be there all the time, and it is a lot easier to just be a traitor and get all the big bad recipes than to go with what I think Chemistry was meant to do. That is, experimenting with random chemical combinations, heating and cooling them occasionally, until something mixes together. It just seems like giving away the bigger recipes instead of just the little things like Kelotane ruins the point of Chemistry.
That's also what the fire extinguishers are for, if someone's a nasty repeat offender, and the admins aren't around, beat them (if you can catch them in the act) with the fire extinguisher and (if necessary) space them, If they are a non-traitor they probably won't complain about it (because who is stupid enough admitting that they killed several people with napalm for laughs and then got mad when someone murdered them for it), and if they were a traitor, you just saved the station because you caught them in the act.
atomic1fire Wrote:...who is stupid enough admitting that they killed several people with napalm for laughs and then got mad when someone murdered them for it...?

Oh, you'd be surprised. That's a pretty good portion of adminhelps right there.
I do think a reagent only availible, if not only easily availible to traitor scientists that can do all kinds of fun things would be great.

If it could be made, it would have to be a No pubbies type secret, so that only traitors are the ones carrying it in general at any time, unless a admin decides to give a chemist the power of kill everything during a slow round.

Also, more reagent reactions should be deadly or inconvenient, so that the really awful stuff is just plain hard to make even if the ingredients are found online. Like for example a poison that releases a gas cloud of plasma or something upon reaction, so anyone making napalm at the same time ends up killing themselves by removing all the air.
atomic1fire Wrote:Also, more reagent reactions should be deadly or inconvenient, so that the really awful stuff is just plain hard to make even if the ingredients are found online. Like for example a poison that releases a gas cloud of plasma or something upon reaction, so anyone making napalm at the same time ends up killing themselves by removing all the air.
Yes. Chemists should have to put on a biosuit and turn on their internals to stay safe while making deadly gasses and such. It just makes sense, and adds that "danger factor" everyone wants back.
h3half Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:Also, more reagent reactions should be deadly or inconvenient, so that the really awful stuff is just plain hard to make even if the ingredients are found online. Like for example a poison that releases a gas cloud of plasma or something upon reaction, so anyone making napalm at the same time ends up killing themselves by removing all the air.
Yes. Chemists should have to put on a biosuit and turn on their internals to stay safe while making deadly gasses and such. It just makes sense, and adds that "danger factor" everyone wants back.
I remember killing/permanently crippling myself almost every round while experimenting with chemistry... where doesthe time go frown
Also, If Chemistry reactions can be made dangerous, Research should probably have more atmospherics and cleanup tools, because who wants to leak all the toxic radium gas out of chemistry and be responsible for a sudden blindness epidemic when they were trying to make unobtainium (just an example idea), also privacy shutters should also be used to prevent heat spillage from napalm/sudden flaming plasma clouds.
Atomic you are a genius, chemistry needs things that leave residue and lasting effects in an area, not just foam and smoke. and ways to clean the effects up.
Ok, under less of a time constraint now.

What i am trying to say is to allow chemists to create something that will leave a lasting effect (1 min, 5 min, permanent?) of a chem, or only specific chems.
Maybe a field of tricordazine that gives everyone in it 1 unit of tri every 5 seconds until all the tri used in the field is used up.

Or a field of napalm that will leave a fire until extinguished or it burns out all the napalm (1 unit = half a second?)

I can see myself at least running around the station placing hyperzine fields in larger rounds. fields of various cures when an epidemic hits the station, that kind of fun stuff.

On another (pretty dumb) note i have in my mind, make people be able to be area of effect carriers of chems. that is to say, add a chem that you can inject into someone to make them disperse all chems in them around them in a small area.
Ronnyfire Wrote:On another (pretty dumb) note i have in my mind, make people be able to be area of effect carriers of chems. that is to say, add a chem that you can inject into someone to make them disperse all chems in them around them in a small area.

I have a fantastic idea for chemicals - rather than have chemicals like that, make farting disperse chemicals which're in your bloodstream around you. Or, failing that, have farting in someone's mouth transfer chemicals into them. This way, if you had prions in your bloodstream, you could push someone over, fart in their face, and give them kuru too! I'm sure Boeggles would enjoy that.
RedbeardRum Wrote:
Ronnyfire Wrote:On another (pretty dumb) note i have in my mind, make people be able to be area of effect carriers of chems. that is to say, add a chem that you can inject into someone to make them disperse all chems in them around them in a small area.

I have a fantastic idea for chemicals - rather than have chemicals like that, make farting disperse chemicals which're in your bloodstream around you. Or, failing that, have farting in someone's mouth transfer chemicals into them. This way, if you had prions in your bloodstream, you could push someone over, fart in their face, and give them kuru too! I'm sure Boeggles would enjoy that.
Given that he got namebanned for that kind of thing being accepted by the crew because of his name, that is a sure way to never have your idea done.