Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Chemistry Thread (Cogwerks)
Furbeh Wrote:Daunt, mind naming certain items removed from chemistry you would like to see. Give names please so we can talk about specific substances and choose whether or not they should be put back into the game.

I don't necessarily want all of the old reagents put back in(although making Stable Mutagen require an annoying as hell process to work correctly seems completely pointless and irritating especially since that exploit with genetics doesn't work any more[also flash powder seems to have been removed or changed and I have no idea why since nobody ever used it anyway]). Why not add new ones that do interesting things? Chefs can make foods that make you talk like Elvis or give you incurable diseases. Why are chemists limited to setting shit on fire and boiling things?
Dauntasa Wrote:
Furbeh Wrote:Why not add new ones that do interesting things? Chefs can make foods that make you talk like Elvis or give you incurable diseases. Why are chemists limited to setting shit on fire and boiling things?
Do you personally have any good ideas that would be interesting? Right now no new mixtures have been added due to the fact that there are no ideas to add. There are obviously possibilities with chemistry, but nobody has given any examples of future possibilities.
Furbeh Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:
Furbeh Wrote:Why not add new ones that do interesting things? Chefs can make foods that make you talk like Elvis or give you incurable diseases. Why are chemists limited to setting shit on fire and boiling things?
Do you personally have any good ideas that would be interesting? Right now no new mixtures have been added due to the fact that there are no ideas to add. There are obviously possibilities with chemistry, but nobody has given any examples of future possibilities.
Eh, sure, I'll throw a few out there. Other people probably have a few, too, so I guess this is a suggest reagents thread now.

A poison that makes you start coughing up pieces of your own lungs(represented as gibs I guess) and take brute damage

Something that has the glowing effects of radium but without poisoning everyone could be cool. Also you should glow if there's some in your system

A reagent that, as long as it's in someone's system, gives them hulk strength. They don't have the superpowered body to match it, though, so breaking walls and reinforced windows with it will eventually reduce their hands to useless mangled stumps.

Space glue. Glue people to the floor. Glue things to other things. Glue doors shut. Holds until someone forces it enough times or uses a different reagent to dissolve it.

A medicine for curing deafness.

The opposite of Hairgrownium to make people bald

A poison that causes your skin to start slowly falling off, leaving horrible lumps of skin and flesh and blood everywhere until eventually your organs are exposed, at which point a punch to the chest will crush your heart and kill you instantly.

A chemical which causes you to start emitting radiation(without making you immune to it)

A chemical that slowly absorbs electricity when it's in a powered room, and can be splashed on a power cell to recharge it(or a person to shock them)

Anyway, I thought these up in like 2 minutes and don't know if they're feasible or good but I'm throwing them out there anyway.
a chemical which will cure retardation, blindness and deafness, called Jesustonium. should be a fucking pain in the ass to make.
Nitrous Wrote:a chemical which will cure retardation, blindness and deafness, called Jesustonium. should be a fucking pain in the ass to make.

why, when you can just go to genetics and do it easily
Dauntasa Wrote:Space glue.

This. A hundred-thousand times this.
Nitrous Wrote:a chemical which will cure retardation, blindness and deafness, called Jesustonium. should be a fucking pain in the ass to make.

Alkysine and ryetalin.

Made a lot more sense to me (and was funnier) when i read "cure" as "causes", but enough offending all the religious folks around.

Allowing chemicals to mix when in you would be nice, it would add a few fun things, but also remove a few. (like it would remove being able to inject yourself with all the materials for napalm, then asking someone to draw your blood for the hell of it.)
Get rid of the firebot from chemistry and make napalm the old way, I loved seeing people run out of chemistry on fire because they were too incompetent to know how to make napalm safely, or better yet keep it the way it is but still trigger the massive firepit that it used to cause to bring back the old safe way as well as the new.

Also sorium, that is all.
Honestly, old napalm was pretty dumb. Napalm is a sticky goo that is hard to put out when it's on fire. It was goofy to have napalm as some magic fireball chemical that leaked through windows to engulf multiple rooms in a flash fire.

Myself, I think napalm should just be a highly flammable goo which makes it really hard to extinguish a burning person, instead of a being a beaker full of fire.
Napalm needs an ignition source anyway. It doesn't start on fire by itself. I never understood that part about napalm in game.

Anyway, for chemical ideas, I like the one about making things glow. The chemical should add a green glowing layer over the top of the sprite and radiate light faintly maybe a tile out. Splash it on something to make it glow in the dark, or drink it to give yourself glowing green skeleton sprite in the darkness of maintenance. Good for getting around without needing a flashlight. Bad for hiding from people in the dark.

I also love the super glue idea. I think that not only should you be able to splash it on things to glue them in place, you should be able to splash it on a floor tile to make the next person who walks over it get stuck for a second. If they hit resist, they lose their shoes, which get stuck in place, but can keep running. The shoes can be pried off later.

Being able to make chlorine would be an interesting way to rust cyborgs. splash it on them and they take whatever damage it is that cyborgs take. Too much of it, or a killing blow with it, should turn the cyborg sprite into a rusty red one that can't move at all. The drawback is that if a human inhales it, they take heavy toxic damage as well. Mixing it with ammonia would create extremely volatile hydrogen gas.
neogeo0823 Wrote:Being able to make chlorine would be an interesting way to rust cyborgs. splash it on them and they take whatever damage it is that cyborgs take. Too much of it, or a killing blow with it, should turn the cyborg sprite into a rusty red one that can't move at all. The drawback is that if a human inhales it, they take heavy toxic damage as well. Mixing it with ammonia would create extremely volatile hydrogen gas.

You know chlorine is already one of the starting chemicals in the dispenser, right? It just doesn't do much in game other than a bit of tox damage. Chlorine smoke hurts you, but perhaps not as much as it should, since straight up chlorine gas was one of the primary weapons in early chemical warfare. Hydrogen is in the dispenser too, but it doesn't really do anything on its own. Maybe it should.

And that thing with ammonia, you've got that reaction wrong. The reason it's bad to mix bleach (NaOCl) with ammonia (NH3) is because you get a bunch of chloramine, nitrogen trichloride (explosive) and hydrazine (even more explosive). Those fun exothermic reactions there can yield a nice boiling hot mess of tear gas and other toxic compounds.

Reacting straight chlorine to NH3 looks like it makes a pretty similar mess of ammonium chlorides, nitrogen trichlorides, hydrochloric acid and/or liberated nitrogen, not liberated hydrogen. Free hydrogen isn't really that big of a problem anyways.
Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was chlorine or fluorine, and I haven't played chemist in forever. Also, my irl chemistry apparently isn't up to snuff, as I couldn't even get the name right. Still, can't blame me for being enthusiastic, I suppose.

I do agree though, that chlorine and hydrogen should do a bit more than they currently do, yeah.
Here's an Idea that might make (awful) chemistry better. An anarchist cookbook style traitor item, Filled with traitor recipe's and designs that involve chemistry or reagents. Specifically to allow them to be openly terrible as a traitor.

Actually maybe it could be better suited as a eBook for pda or something contained on a pda cartridge, maybe with some other traitor pda things.

A how to be traitor guide that effectively gives traitors a few more options besides break into security/qm and get all the guns.
atomic1fire Wrote:Here's an Idea that might make (awful) chemistry better. An anarchist cookbook style traitor item, Filled with traitor recipe's and designs that involve chemistry or reagents. Specifically to allow them to be openly terrible as a traitor.

Actually maybe it could be better suited as a eBook for pda or something contained on a pda cartridge, maybe with some other traitor pda things.

A how to be traitor guide that effectively gives traitors a few more options besides break into security/qm and get all the guns.
So then after somebody gets that once as a traitor and writes it down, they never need to get it again and can be shitty even when not a traitor?