Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Construction Boogaloo
So now that ABC-Us are fixed, I've been on a bit of a station-construction kick. I've noticed, however, that certain things are much more easily remade (or fixed, in case the station gets bombed) than others.

Things you can make with metal, mechanics, ABC-us, pipelayers, RCDs, etc:
- Floors; although, you can only make certain kinds of tiles by ripping others up.
- Walls.
- Grilles.
- Windows.
- Airlocks. (RCDs can only make ugly 2d airlocks; ABC-us can replicate anything; mechanics mighhhht be able to replicate individual door types.)
- Machines, by scanning and replicating them.

Things you can't do:
- Create most other floortypes (white floors, carpet, etc).
- Paint floors. Departments are marked by stripes on the floors, as well as guidelines like hazard stripes.
- Reskin airlocks. TGcode has an 'airlock painter' that lets you change an airlock's sprite.

My suggested solutions:
- Incorporate one tool: a floor painter. The floor painter would have two options: style, and color. "Style" would provide options such as checkerboards, stripes, markings like loading zones, or full tiles. "Color" would allow you to determine the color of the resulting decoration. So, for instance, say you're in Medbay and you want to make the floors a white-and-red checkerboard: in Style, you pick Checkerboard, and in Color, you pick a shade of red. You'd then use the object on the tiles you want to color in order to apply it. (A third option, Clear, might be necessary in order to clean off a tile and get rid of the overlay shit being stacked up.

- Incorporate another tool: an airlock painter. This would simply provide one option, that being to change the design (though not the access, sadly) of the airlock, from external, to maintenance, to glass doors, et cetera. Using it on an airlock would then change its appearance; have fun setting random airlocks to look like they don't lead to the airless void of space!!

- The two tools would likely be powered by power cells, capable of being charged in a recharger station. This limits spammability but doesn't make them too dependent on a rarer resource like paint buckets or RCD cartridges.

- Make it possible to order certain other types of tiles, like carpet or 'white tile'. Standard grey floortiles might not play as well with being fully recolored as a white one would; ideally, all components of an overlay-based system start white and are then additively colored.

Feel free to post here if you have other suggestions on how the station construction system could be improved, big or small, or super obvious shit I missed. My ideal is that no part of the station would be irreparable, with the right initiative, time and materials.
From a performance point of view, this sounds like it could be a nightmare. Letting it use existing sprites instead, potentially grouped somehow, might be better.
Was never quite sure why we never had 'painter' utilities. I've always wanted that functionality, along with the integration of construction mode tools into the ABC-U kit.

Edit: Ah, probably should have checked for new posts. Had to go do things. Well, performance would explain why it isn't a thing.
(12-02-2017, 10:13 PM)Mordent Wrote: From a performance point of view, this sounds like it could be a nightmare. Letting it use existing sprites instead, potentially grouped somehow, might be better.

I'd also be cool with that. My approach was more of a flexibility and ease-of-use based thing, not so much performance admittedly. I wasn't sure of any good way one could go through the large variety of floor deco combinations and then apply them without having them all backwards or something.
Regarding carpet, sounds like something that would synergize with that thread asking for dyes. Botany grows fibers to make carpet, dyes it the desired color, and hands off the dyed carpet tiles to Engineers to lay down wherever
(12-02-2017, 10:01 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Things you can't do:
- Paint floors. Departments are marked by stripes on the floors, as well as guidelines like hazard stripes.
- Reskin airlocks. TGcode has an 'airlock painter' that lets you change an airlock's sprite.

This would require a major refactor of all the maps and the codebase.
I always found it odd that on Goon the floor sprite is associated with the grid, while on TG it seems to be associated to the individual floor tile. I used to love ripping up sought-after tiles from departments i'd broken into to swag-out the bar. Goon could definitely benifit from that.
TBH I just want to re tile the floors into whatever tile grafitti I can make. For instance maybe some sort of smiley face.
Let us put fabrics on the floor to make carpets!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 'carpet' reagent already to make your own (shitty) carpeting?
Posting this here but I want to be able to build windoors.
(12-04-2017, 11:20 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote: Posting this here but I want to be able to build windoors.

and break/hack em but that's a patch, at least the latter one
(12-04-2017, 09:32 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 'carpet' reagent already to make your own (shitty) carpeting?

yeah, and luckilly it's become a lot easier to make since the fluids update, but it's still just boring awful church basement carpet
(12-03-2017, 11:02 AM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 10:01 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Things you can't do:

This would require a major refactor of all the maps and the codebase.

How exactly? I'm curious
TG's floors are based on the tiles used to make them, goon's tiles are based on the type set on the map and the tile material. So if you crowbar up a synthrubber astroturf and steel floor and swap the floor tiles you'll end up with steel astroturf and a synthrubber floor.