Poll: Should widescreen be added?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
87.50%
56 87.50%
No!
12.50%
8 12.50%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Widescreen - Player Vote
Hi there everyone. I'm posting this for MBC who is not here at the moment but I really think this should be posted.This thread is to gauge player interest in adding a widescreen option. Widescreen has been requested by a lot of players ever since our server-wide toggle (Toggle-Widescreen-Station command) was made. It looks cool, and let's enable it for everyone!

Examples (open the image in a new tab for full size):

Game looks like this on a normal widescreen display : 
[Image: m5D9JAQ.png]

But what about players who still use 4:3 displays? Great! We can set the game/chat split horizontally, like so: 
[Image: tpH1SK9.png]

We can also preserve the classic square view as an option, something like this:
[Image: LvhZO84.png]

Please vote on the poll + leave your thoughts!
i voted yes. i think the benefits of having widescreen outweigh the drawbacks of "seeing too much", so to say
so do widescreen players see more than non-widescreen?
Normal Display widescreen mode is my favorite. Extremely excited this has had some progress.
We did a survey of screen sizes earlier. i believe we found that almost everyone is 1920x1080. Seeing as roughly everyone is using the same resolution - I see no reason why this would cause any major balance issues. So yes!
(11-03-2017, 06:24 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: so do widescreen players see more than non-widescreen?

Same number of tiles, just bigger/wider. Which is fine by me.
If it's already coded then it's best to just enable it and get feedback from direct experience. Don't get me wrong, a 'hey we talked about this' thread is needed, but it's hard to gauge the large scale effect on gameplay when it's theoretical.

I abstain, since the way I play leaves me in deadchat for 95% of the time.
(11-03-2017, 06:47 PM)Grek Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:24 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: so do widescreen players see more than non-widescreen?

actually, no.

Widescreen does see more tiles.
(11-03-2017, 06:48 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: If it's already coded then it's best to just enable it and get feedback from direct experience. Don't get me wrong, a 'hey we talked about this' thread is needed, but it's hard to gauge the large scale effect on gameplay when it's theoretical.

Rudimentary example is coded, but we still need a better interface for selecting a display mode, possible auto-detection of screen size for new players, AND (the biggest one) is that all screen overlays (KO for example) are broken in widescreen and need to be re-centered or given a new image in wide format.
So it's not quite ready yet, but it's good to see support for this so far!
With the ability to have the game/chat split horizontally, the main problem I saw people having (16:9 players having an advantage over 4:3 players) has been fixed. No reason not to make it an option.
I rather have 16:9 over 4:3. 4:3 is what we have now and making that widescreen puts the chat in a odd spot that frankly looks awful and adds two distracting black bars.

and you see less of the chat in 4:3 widescreen then we do currently in normal 4:3 which would be worse than what we currently have.

and if you compare the screenshots showed they both show the same amount of tiles. Though in the 4:3 one he is one tile over than the 16:9 one

I want true widescreen and really who does not have a TV or Monitor that does not support 16:9 at this point? Get with the times and stop trying to hold everyone who wants a better playing experience back.

(11-03-2017, 05:57 PM)kremlin Wrote: i voted yes. i think the benefits of having widescreen outweigh the drawbacks of "seeing too much", so to say
Hooray, it's finally happening #MakeSS13Widescreen2017
Would love for this to happen. A new era. Wide times.
(11-03-2017, 07:20 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:

actually, no.

So on my little screen I can be an antag, do antag things and have people see and report what I'm doing even though I can't see them simply for this reason, making it so I would have to be extra cautious when doing things ?
(11-04-2017, 05:16 AM)Haprenti Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:20 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:

actually, no.

So on my little screen I can be an antag, do antag things and have people see and report what I'm doing even though I can't see them simply for this reason, making it so I would have to be extra cautious when doing things ?
Possibly, but the number of people playing on 4:3 screens is such a minority now. I'm sorry if you're stuck with one, but this would be a nice touch of modernisation.