Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FEATURE] Mint plant + derivative drinks
This patch introduces the mint plant and several derivative drinks, as based on this post.

The drinks include:
  • Mint (reagent that exists in mint leaves)
  • Mint Tea (slight energy boost in sims mode)
  • Mint Julep
  • Mojito
  • Crème de Menthe
  • Grasshopper (turns humans into roaches for an amount of time proportionate to the time this drink was spent in their system)
  • Freeze (can turn you into an ice statue)
I also added a recipe for candy canes and introduced mint chutney as a recipe/food item. The menthol reagent was also added, with these features.

Everything (mint plant, recipes, drink effects) seem to be working on my local server:
  • Mint plant can be grown from mint seeds and harvested for mint leaves and more seeds
  • Mint leaves can be extracted for mint reagent
  • Mint reagent can be mixed with other reagents to produce aforementioned drinks
  • Mint tea does give a slight energy boost in sims mode
  • Grasshopper turns humans (in the most traditional sense, not code sense; humans that aren't a mutantrace) into roaches; does not produce the same effect on monkeys/lizards/etc.
  • The length of Grasshopper's effects is indeed proportionate to the amount of time it spends in someone's system
  • Recipe for candy cane does indeed produce a candy cane
  • Recipe for mint chutney does indeed produce mint chutney
  • Mint, mint tea, and mint julep do give a slight cooling effect
  • Freeze does indeed make someone cold, give them random burn damage, and turn them into an ice statue (with the probability based on how much is in their system)
  • Everything listed here about menthol works
Compare here: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...t?expand=1

DMIs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxifb4i2gdsk4i...s.dmi?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtlkdor6ssyk3f...c.dmi?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnikdswhat0w3g...s.dmi?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/egf8cpiznc474y...s.dmi?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj9d6pqgygkyhe...s.dmi?dl=0

Ideas and suggestions are very welcome space goose

edit: Added mint chutney!

edit2: Added cooling effects to mint, mint tea, and mint julep, and added a drink called Freeze

edit3: Menthol!
There are - as usual when touching some of the files with special characters - a bunch of changes showing in the diff that haven't actually changed, but other than that, looks solid. Suppose I'd better implement it now!
(09-23-2017, 06:20 PM)Mordent Wrote: There are - as usual when touching some of the files with special characters - a bunch of changes showing in the diff that haven't actually changed, but other than that, looks solid. Suppose I'd better implement it now!

I don't know if this is too late, but I just added mint chutney on a whim.
(09-23-2017, 06:20 PM)Mordent Wrote: There are - as usual when touching some of the files with special characters - a bunch of changes showing in the diff that haven't actually changed, but other than that, looks solid. Suppose I'd better implement it now!

also as I said to Noah, this encoding issue is avoided by switching your IDE or whatever you use to ISO/IEC 8859-1 (Latin-1)
An idea: Originally I suggested that mint should have a cooling effect. Might be a good botany mutation for mint plants to have strains that negate heat damage
(09-25-2017, 08:34 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: An idea: Originally I suggested that mint should have a cooling effect. Might be a good botany mutation for mint plants to have strains that negate heat damage

The problem is that sprites are really hard...

Do you think it'd be okay if I just add a cooling effect to the mint reagent, and also mint tea and mint julep?

Also, what are your thoughts on mint leaves being distilled into menthol? Menthol could have that same cooling effect, and also some medicinal uses (any ideas?). Though, if I stray too far from the actual uses of menthol, maybe I should rename it (minthol? though that falls a bit flat)?

(09-25-2017, 01:42 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: also as I said to Noah, this encoding issue is avoided by switching your IDE or whatever you use to ISO/IEC 8859-1 (Latin-1)

Alright, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
I'll look to finish this up in the next couple of days. I'll leave mint chutney out for now, if that's okay, just because I like being able to draw a line under a unit of work. Feel free to put a slight cooling effect on mint, mint tea, and mint juleps.

Distilling into menthol is a cool idea (see what I did there?), I'd like to try to fairly fully flesh it out if we go that route (e.g. have some secondary reagents you can make from it). You should probably also be able to synthesize it via mint + ethanol or something (maybe at 50C to avoid it just happening in your body).

If you're looking to do the cooling thing, look into how cryostylane works. I'd put a lower bound on what temperature it can lower you to, experiment a bit to work out something sensible. It shouldn't be slowing you down (or certainly not much).
I'm disappointed that there isn't something DEADLY you can make with either mint or menthol.

Something that's so cold that it causes you to freeze into an ice statue, the polar (BRRRR) opposite of El Diablo chili.
(09-25-2017, 01:15 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: I'm disappointed that there isn't something DEADLY you can make with either mint or menthol.

Something that's so cold that it causes you to freeze into an ice statue, the polar (BRRRR) opposite of El Diablo chili.

mint juice + cryostylane + plasma/mutagen or something = manfreezium
in small doses, covers you in frost and slows you down as if you had been exposed to space, maybe does some burn, but doesn't icecube you
in large doses, you become an ice statue, solidifying all your items and thus making them unretrievable (i forget, does dragon's breath death delete your shit?)
(09-25-2017, 11:47 AM)Mordent Wrote: I'll look to finish this up in the next couple of days. I'll leave mint chutney out for now, if that's okay, just because I like being able to draw a line under a unit of work. Feel free to put a slight cooling effect on mint, mint tea, and mint juleps.

Distilling into menthol is a cool idea (see what I did there?), I'd like to try to fairly fully flesh it out if we go that route (e.g. have some secondary reagents you can make from it). You should probably also be able to synthesize it via mint + ethanol or something (maybe at 50C to avoid it just happening in your body).

If you're looking to do the cooling thing, look into how cryostylane works. I'd put a lower bound on what temperature it can lower you to, experiment a bit to work out something sensible. It shouldn't be slowing you down (or certainly not much).

That sounds good! I just added the cooling effects, and I'm currently figuring out what I want to do with menthol. The new drink I added ideally would include that, so that's one recipe. A couple more to go?

(09-25-2017, 01:15 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: I'm disappointed that there isn't something DEADLY you can make with either mint or menthol.

(09-25-2017, 08:03 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: mint juice + cryostylane + plasma/mutagen or something = manfreezium
in small doses, covers you in frost and slows you down as if you had been exposed to space, maybe does some burn, but doesn't icecube you
in large doses, you become an ice statue, solidifying all your items and thus making them unretrievable (i forget, does dragon's breath death delete your shit?)

Added a drink called Freeze that does something like what you guys suggested! It makes someone really cold, gives them random burn damage, and has chance of ice-statuing them based on the amount in them. It's negated by chocolate (because hot chocolate and all that).
Quote:and I'm currently figuring out what I want to do with menthol

Menthol cigarettes? Menthol Mouthwash? Menthol Shaving cream?
Menthol should definitely boost your hygiene motive thing on LLJJK1.
(09-26-2017, 03:15 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
Quote:and I'm currently figuring out what I want to do with menthol

Menthol cigarettes? Menthol Mouthwash? Menthol Shaving cream?

(09-26-2017, 04:03 PM)Mordent Wrote: Menthol should definitely boost your hygiene motive thing on LLJJK1.

These are good ideas! I'll definitely work on cigarettes and boosting hygiene motive.

Also, I noticed that the Robustissin patch is still sitting in this subforum. Would it be okay if I made some version of that idea (cough syrup or whatever) that had menthol as an ingredient?
If this gets merged first, the recipe for Robustissin can absolutely change to include it.
Yesssss, my idea for a danger-drink got implemented
can't wait to steal galoshes and freeze part of the station and make myself mr freeze, hypospraying people with the stuff to statue them