Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Making your own laced cigarettes
(09-08-2017, 10:28 PM)Roomba Wrote: There's a Vape-o-matic right there in the code already.

that's just the injector belt but for a mask slot. it doesn't allow slow ingestion as far as i know.
You can set it to inject small amounts of whatever chem is in it at regular intervals upon taking a small amount of brute damage, and then punch yourself or something to activate it. I'm fine with having it be something you have to work hard for because slow injections of custom chem mixes is sometng that can be very easily taken advantage of for overpowered builds (see: meth belts, meth armor when material infusions were a thing, meth anything mostly)
I support the idea of space-vapes. Fill the reagent tank, possibly set the temperature and vape away
It's healthier (but not really because there's a damn well chance it'll explode in your hands if you crank it up too high)
could go from tiny puffs, to smoke breath particles, to jenkem/fartcloud sprites with increasing risk of malfunction
Great, just what we need, another thread about dabbing. Rimshot

Seeing as the Vapo-matic exists and in a form as strong as an injector belt I don't think being unable to put your own chemicals into cigarettes is a balance thing.
(09-09-2017, 05:54 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I don't think being unable to put your own chemicals into cigarettes is a balance thing.
The Vapo-matic is good, but takes effort to find, and costs 7500 credits. Well beyond starting cash for any role.
20u Salbutamol pills are available in every 4th medkit, but taking one right before spacewalking is a hassle, and then they deplete fast, making it a poor choice for extended travel.

But put that stuff in a cigarette, and it will last for 10 minutes. Better still, the dose is always 'just enough' to stop you from choking. The heat from it will also offset the cold, and if not, there are more chems which can help there.
A single fag becomes a complete set of internals, available from every locker, that can be worn on the face and due to glitches, in either pocket or hand.

I like the idea, but I do so because it is as unbalanced as a Trebuchet.
I tried that with a salbutamol cigarette from a pack of pro puffs with slow metabolism and it wasn't enough to keep me from suffocating. It's also erratic as to when cigs transfer reagents sometimes going for long periods without any, and the heat given off is so minor it barely if at all affects the speed that space cools you.

With slow metabolism it's already possible to just take a large dose of something and have it last for extended periods without taking up the mask slot, which means you can also avoid breathing in anything from the air by having internals running at 0kpa.
(09-10-2017, 07:20 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I tried that 

Point taken.

On implimentation: in real life the crack pipe is the go-to method for substance abuse of the diverse kind. Would pipes be an alternative implimentation, or would that be a different feature entirely?

(Pipes sounds more doable to me in regards to how to code it, but I haven't looked at anything yet)
(09-10-2017, 07:20 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I tried that with a salbutamol cigarette from a pack of pro puffs with slow metabolism and it wasn't enough to keep me from suffocating. It's also erratic as to when cigs transfer reagents sometimes going for long periods without any, and the heat given off is so minor it barely if at all affects the speed that space cools you.

With slow metabolism it's already possible to just take a large dose of something and have it last for extended periods without taking up the mask slot, which means you can also avoid breathing in anything from the air by having internals running at 0kpa.

(09-10-2017, 01:26 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 07:20 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I tried that 

Point taken.

On implimentation: in real life the crack pipe is the go-to method for substance abuse of the diverse kind. Would pipes be an alternative implimentation, or would that be a different feature entirely?

(Pipes sounds more doable to me in regards to how to code it, but I haven't looked at anything yet)

Do you think it'd work any better if you slotted up face, both hands and both pockets?
(09-10-2017, 02:08 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: ...
Do you think it'd work any better if you slotted up face, both hands and both pockets?
It would be worth a try, but getting a full set of salbutamol/yobidazine/perfluodiwhatever laced cigarettes would be tough.
(09-11-2017, 01:40 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
It would be worth a try, but getting a full set of salbutamol/yobidazine/perfluodiwhatever laced cigarettes would be tough.

I haven't rolled botany yet, I thought you could joint up ANY herb, not just weed? Is that wrong?
Looking at the code release, there appears to be a 20% chance per life cycle to smoke that cig. Not sure if it calls each of the cigs individually or just picks one to proc each cycle. More testing required!

Also appears that the reason you can smoke five cigs at once is because the code only checks to see if the cig is in your container, not necessarily in your mouth. Interesting!
Odd idea for a solution I had: you need to puff your cigarette/vape to... do something. I'm not sure if it'd be better to puff to apply effects (the longer you go without puffing, the bigger a dose you take at once when the cigarette leaves your mask slot,) or if it'd be better to make puffing mandatory to avoid making shitty side effects from smoking even worse (leave it in for too long and you develop lung cancer.)

But either way if you're ingesting chemicals from smoking then you'd have to have an empty hand to puff every once in a while, meaning you'd have to manage it as a resource if you try to reap benefits during a fight.
(09-11-2017, 09:50 AM)NesMettaur Wrote: Odd idea for a solution I had: you need to puff your cigarette/vape to... do something. I'm not sure if it'd be better to puff to apply effects (the longer you go without puffing, the bigger a dose you take at once when the cigarette leaves your mask slot,) or if it'd be better to make puffing mandatory to avoid making shitty side effects from smoking even worse (leave it in for too long and you develop lung cancer.)

But either way if you're ingesting chemicals from smoking then you'd have to have an empty hand to puff every once in a while, meaning you'd have to manage it as a resource if you try to reap benefits during a fight.

I like that. Leave a cig in your mouth for just the aesthetic of smoking, take puffs to get the chemical benefit. 
About to jump into space? Take a couple of furious drags from a salbutamol cig before heading out.

This could be a big balancing thing for how these work
(09-11-2017, 08:05 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 01:40 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:

I haven't rolled botany yet, I thought you could joint up ANY herb, not just weed? Is that wrong?

Yeah, you can roll up 200 potency robust asomna and have meth/ephedrine cigs for the entire round, and you can do even more with splicing