Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yet another wizard rebalence thread.
I agree with polymorph needing a warmup before casting and having some way of reversing it. Other than that, I'm not too keen on the original ideas in this thread.

Sundance and I have been saying for over a year now that the fireball spell should be split into two separate spells. One that is an explosive burst and another that is a gout of flames (like a flamthrower). Some day you will all hear us and know we were right all along. cool
Sigh

Fireball
Quote:Sundance and I have been saying for over a year now that the fireball spell should be split into two separate spells. One that is an explosive burst and another that is a gout of flames (like a flamthrower). Some day you will all hear us and know we were right all along. [Image: cool.gif]

Pretty much. It's one of the worst offenders and by splitting them into two also gives the wizard much needed expansion on his spells. Basically split it into a belch of flames and a form of magic explosive mousetraps.

Polymorph
Not proud to say i've abused this spell a few times. It's fantastic at depopulating the station. Completely agree that it should be reversable, even timed reversal where the player would revert on his own over X time.
Also agree that cluwne should not be reversable. That buff should come with the caveat that the cluwnes stuff stays on him, just swapped out instead of spat on the floor, polymorph for that. This is particularly frustrating when it's coupled with the stun. I want the wizard to face my angry shortlived cluwne wrath, not frustrated IDless/bagless rehab'd cluwne that will commit suicide at the next moments notice.

Teleport
Disagree on this one. I like the "Farewell fuckers!" sort of spell and tbh the amount of times i've seen a wizard beaten into crit during that sequence only to teleport back onto his shuttle in a coma is hilarious. It's really not a get-out-of-jail-card type spell as you make it out to be.

Rathen's Secret
Really not sure how to balance this. Whos smart idea was it to add the delimbing? Actually just remove the delimbing, let the removed butt cause a stun and any further rathen's secret just causes brute damage, no stun. So it's kind of a situational debuff spell.

Empower
This is a clear cut case of a spell where the only legit tactic of using it is cheap as fuck. Like super fucking lame cheap. Fuck the empower/cthulu+stun weaponry combo. I'd remove empower altogether, there's nothing good that can come out of this completely unbalanced spell that's nearly as old as the game itself. How about changing it to a kind of beast form? Literally just make it so you turn into a werewolf and are unable to use your wizard powers during it. That seems to fall in line with what Empower was kind of meant to be, which was a charged form of wiz.
If we want to really address all the issues with wizard, the whole spell system would need a rewrite.

Modular spells, a more flexible point system, and a far larger assortment of options for both the wizard and the crew would be necessary
^^^
There's a lull in coder activity in the last age so I really don't see how a entire spell system rewrite is achievable. Despite it's flaws, wizard mode is kind of ok. The spells need to be looked at under a harsher light, divided up and buffed/debuffed acordingly. That could be done via patching. A rewrite would probably take a few months if not longer. I don't think anyone has the appetite these days to do that.
Staff of Cthulhu should just be merged into the regular staff, but without any of the brain damage shit. It should be able to be recalled on a cool down, and it would thwack the person holding it as well as, if summoned within line of sight, zoom to the wizard and knock over anyone in the path. Make it kinda like a magical boomerang.

Also, fluorosulphuric acid golems are beyond robust.
Didn't someone change how abilities are handled at some point after the public release?

That would make wizard spell patches more difficult to implement if true.
(08-03-2017, 06:58 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: If we want to really address all the issues with wizard, the whole spell system would need a rewrite.

Modular spells, a more flexible point system, and a far larger assortment of options for both the wizard and the crew would be necessary

I mean, it would be great if that happened, but a big sweeping wizard rework along these lines has been proposed in pretty much every wizard-related thread (with some pretty good ideas there too), and nothing's ever come to pass.

Wizard probably does need a big sweeping rework sometime, but we shouldn't let that put us off rebalancing the more egregious elements right away.