Goonstation Forums
Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. (/showthread.php?tid=9163)

Pages: 1 2

Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Lady Birb - 08-02-2017

I have been seeing a lot more wizard rounds as of late, and it is starting to show how unbalanced they are in practice. There have been many, many threads about rebalancing wizards over time, and here I will be compiling my ideas on the subject

Now, the main problem I have seen with the way wizards are balanced is that they are balanced around the days where the moment an antagonist went loud, they would be immediately pursued by the entire security team, ten greyshirts, and three flamethrower-wielding scientists; and as wizards had no stealth powers they had to be able to take on groups of armed targets. Nowadays players tend to try to avoid antagonists rather than fight them, with it being rare for more than 2-3 well armed players to be going after antagonists. This makes it very difficult to take down a skilled wizard, as they can mass-stun groups of assailants, easily kill single targets, and quickly escape when threatened. 

Problem Spells:
Here I will talk about individual spells that are easily abused.
  • Fireball: Was nerfed once, but still is one of the deadliest tools in the wizard arsenal. One direct hit can take a crew member from full health to crit, break any nearby windows, causing a hull breach, and stun and blow off the limbs of those caught in the blast, and all of this isn't taking into account the actual FIRE part of the attack. ESPECIALLY bad combined with spell shield to protect the caster from the blast. My idea for a nerf is to remove the explosive component altogether, just make it act like a high-damage laser shot that sets everything nearby on fire. May be too extreme of a nerf though.
  • Polymorph: I have lots of complaints about this spell, and most of them can be summed up thusly: It is too easy to use, RNG can completely fuck the victim by turning them into a useless critter with no abilities and one inventory slot, there is no way to reverse it, and depending on what you get turned into the wizard can one or twoshot you with a followup attack. I have fixes for most of these: 1. Make it take a second or two where both you and the target have to hold still, 2. make it so it cannot be used while stunned like shocking touch, 3. make it so casting it without a staff always turns the target into one of the overpowered critters like space bears or adult ice spiders, 4. make it so a chaplain (or if there is no chaplain, anyone with a bible) can reverse it.  The first two nerfs could also be applied to cluwning.
  • Teleport: A simple one. Despite the fact there is a delay on it taking effect, there is no way to interrupt it once it starts, and it can be used while stunned too, making basically a "You will remember this day as the day you ALMOST caught the Necbromancer!" button. Make it so being attacked or stunned while casting it will interrupt the spell, and make it so casting it without a staff may cause you to leave a few things behind, like clothing, limbs, or vital organs.
  • Rathen's Secret: Probably meant to be a gimmick spell, it turns out that it is actually up there with fireball in terms of deadliness. Depending on RNG, it can completely fuck you; I have heard horror stories of people who have had it used on them once and lost all four limbs from it. The short stun can be also used as a way to ensure that magic missile hits, which is a problem for obvious reasons when combined with certain spells.  I would change the limb-removal element to only occur if the target is already missing an ass, and make the stun not take place without a staff.

• In general, we could probably apply to "Cannot be casted while stunned" restriction to a few more spells, because as far as I know the only spells with this restriction right now are shocking touch, any spells that require you be holding something, and any spells that require moving, when there are many spells that can be abused to punish anyone who tries to actually do something to a stunned wizard.
That is all I really have to say right now. There is probably a lot I missed but feel free to discuss any more possible wizard changes in the comments.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - babayetu83 - 08-02-2017

i think the wizard is pretty well balanced. people often make the mistake of trying to 1v1 the character who can have the best single target damage ability in the game

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Dr Zoidcrab - 08-02-2017

Can polymorth still be cast without a staff? Had a round with wizard once that used medal awards to hide his robes and just went around polymorphing people and beating them to death with a fire extinguisher while they were recovering.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Superlagg - 08-02-2017

Spend an extra spell slot to make polymorph turn people into mindslaved spacebears.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Noah Buttes - 08-02-2017

I'm of the opinion that polymorph should be reversible but cluwning should not be.

Reverse their roles.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Vitatroll - 08-02-2017

I agree, actually. Something about cluwning being reversible feels inherently sacrilegious. The two switching roles feels far better.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Ed Venture - 08-02-2017

(08-02-2017, 03:43 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm of the opinion that polymorph should be reversible but cluwning should not be.

Reverse their roles.

I agree as well.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - YoukCat - 08-02-2017

(08-02-2017, 03:33 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Can polymorth still be cast without a staff? Had a round with wizard once that used medal awards to hide his robes and just went around polymorphing people and beating them to death with a fire extinguisher while they were recovering.

Is that within the rules? I mean, I use the rewards to make my spacesuit look like a fancy inspector's suit but... That's straight up cheatsy.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Ed Venture - 08-02-2017

Nothing in the rules that say you can't use awards to your advantage.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - medsal15 - 08-02-2017

Add a chance to each spell for backfiring. Something probably like 10% chance. Examples: backfiring fireball would set the wizard on fire and throw him in a random direction, backfiring clown's revenge would just give the target clown clothes, etc.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - NateTheSquid - 08-02-2017

im fine with rathens removing limbs or whatever, but the stun is crazy op. its like an instant magic missile, with no target limit, and more damage than magic missile

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Roomba - 08-02-2017

I think something needs to be done about the Rathen's/Empower/Cthulhu Staff build. Whenever any half-competent wizard takes it, the station is depopulated in about 10-15 minutes, and there's really nothing you can do to counter it. As long as the wizard can see you, he can bash you to death from within the safety of a grille or another room.

I think this wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for two things:

- Hitting someone with the staff a couple of times knocks them out for a long time, at a much faster rate than a regular stamina-inducing weapon does.

- The staff does brain damage, which bypasses all the usual damage types and kills people in seconds.

Either remove the knockout part so that even brain-damaged people have half a chance of running away, or remove the brain damage part but make the staff do fire extinguisher/toolbox levels of brute, so the wizard can still beat someone to death given enough time.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - NateTheSquid - 08-02-2017

^

yeah cthulhu is dumb op. i always take it solely because i lose my staff all the fucking time. other people would be mad but i'd certainly be fine with it JUST being a recall-able staff

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Berrik - 08-03-2017

Concerning polymorph, it's worth noting that it has a longer cooldown than cluwning, AND there is also the chance that you will be polymorphed into something incredibly dangerous to the wizard, like a bumblespider or a bee.

(08-02-2017, 07:33 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Add a chance to each spell for backfiring. Something probably like 10% chance. Examples: backfiring fireball would set the wizard on fire and throw him in a random direction, backfiring clown's revenge would just give the target clown clothes, etc.

Chance-based mechanics that shit on an antag round are not good gameplay.

RE: Yet another wizard rebalence thread. - Ed Venture - 08-03-2017

(08-03-2017, 01:30 AM)Berrik Wrote: Chance-based mechanics that shit on an antag round are not good gameplay.

I agree. I already hit myself with my own fireballs anyways (When I use the spell that is.)