Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operative Rehaul - Cut out the Captain
UrsulaMejor Wrote:How about we not do any of this because operative is already pretty fucking balanced and fun for both sides 90% of the time.

I pretty much agree with this. The only time in which there's a serious problem is shitty captains who go hide in their locker or otherwise go braindead in their office and leave the nuke disk as easy pickings.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:How about we not do any of this because operative is already pretty fucking balanced and fun for both sides 90% of the time.

I'm fairly sure you are possessed by kubius.
Marquesas Wrote:

Who?
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

Who?

He has great ideas smile
Once upon a time, it was frowned upon to detonate the nuke on the syndicate starting area. Back on Donut 1, people would take great pains to transfer the nuke from the starting area to somewhere in the station - probably in the bomb testing capsule or more likely in the prototype engine. The bomb was given a minimum of 30 seconds instead of 5 seconds from what I remembered, but in byond time this was probably more to the tune of 45 to 1 minute.

However, the bomb is a tricky beast to set up and successfully lock. With the bomb code and the auth disk it's possible to turn on the safety and disable the nuke by a member of the crew. The big problem with this ofcourse is that people with out-of-round knowledge will simply know where the syndicate parked their shuttle and just raid it, finding both the code and spacing the nuke, which isn't quite fun when it happened before anything got underway. It happened a lot.

But having an end of round fight in the syndicate shuttle was always fun in my opinion. The final leg of the syndicate's journey was to come back to a compromised shuttle with people who may be friend or foe. Half the reason to relocate the nuke would simply be to avoid that fight.

I'd like to see it if the nuke would be deployable only within the depths of the station itself rather than somewhere outside. It'd make more sense and it'd give the crew a fighting chance to disarm the nuke, and give the syndicate one more issue to worry about. The crew already have the disadvantage of being less armed compared to the shotgun-wielding maniacs, and if a crew member manages to acquire a syndicate teleport remote and finds a copy of the nuke code then that person should be able to use that code to disarm the nuke and use the supply of weapons in the shuttle to disable the operation.
I kind of like the idea of moving the nuke to the station.

The station already has several disadvantages to the syndicates.

For instance, you can't just throw a pipebomb at a syndie without being screamed at if your bomb explodes and kills someone else. The crew is a tad bit more restrained in their attacks, for fear that it could hurt someone else in the crossfire.

There's not a whole lot of weapons on the station besides whatever the crew can scrounge up, and the possible robustness of the crew varies with the round. The idea of a team of competent or incompetent commandos sneaking into or shooting into the base to turn the nuke on, is a fun concept in it's own right. It's almost like precinct 13, except instead of an army of dudes trying to break into a jail to steal a prisoner, it's an small team trying to turn a nuke on. Not to mention that short lived Heist admin gimmick.

The crew immediately knowing where the nuke is, could give them a distinct advantage, if they knew the syndicates were attacking that round. However, not every round is a nuke round, so while they have the homefield advantage, the syndicates are better armed and often have the element of surprise.

All out I'd say it balances pretty well considering the syndicates will have murdered half the crew anyway before reaching the nuke if they've been pretty good.

Just add more methods for the crew to impromptu fortify the station/defend themselves.
In other words, give the crew a reason to R-wall every avenue to the nuke, then space both RCDs? Or steal the nuke and launch it out into the mining Z-level? It just sounds like a good excuse to make syndicate rounds take even more time and draw things out longer.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:In other words, give the crew a reason to R-wall every avenue to the nuke, then space both RCDs? Or steal the nuke and launch it out into the mining Z-level? It just sounds like a good excuse to make syndicate rounds take even more time and draw things out longer.

The Syndicate shuttle comes equipped for shit like this.

People already do this to the Captain!
"Hear me out, guys. We could try and fight back against the syndies. Or, we stick the captain in a crate, and wall him off with quadruple-reinforced walls."

"Don't I get a say in this?"

"No, shut up Captain."

v
The current problem i that there are three kinds of syndicate rounds.

1) Either the crew or syndies are incompetent, but not both. The round ends in 2-10 minutes. Not fun, but at least it ends quickly.

2) Both the crew and syndies are competent. The round ends in 20-30 minutes. Extremely fun for most people, some fun shootouts are had, the shuttle gets called and things get down to the wire.

3) Both the Captain/Crew and Syndies are incompetent. The round ends in NEVER.
It's not even like the r-walls work, I saw someone try it and they got shot down instantly with an RPG and murdered.

Also, I like the rounds the way they are.