Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VR + its Z-space: Why does it honestly still exist?
This isn't really a controversial opinion, but its something that's always kind of bothered me, as it brings up many questions.

1. Why does VR space in its enormity, still exist? I'm specifically talking about the massive go-kart area and the slightly less massive basketball court. It's something so huge for something that is never used. I also might as well include the critter/pod arena in there as well as AFAIK as they've been broken now either for a while or have been fixed and nobody has noticed.

2. Following on from that, would this not create strain in making any further telesci/Sol maps (if someone ever takes up the mantle)? Im basing this off what I saw when I was a goatfart; vr space takes up a considerable chunk of space. I can't remember if this was before or after the zlevel's canvass was increased or if that was just the derelict station.

3. Before I got some hyperventilating nerd slamming on the keyboard, I'm not suggesting removing vr or go-karts. Vr might be a lot more fun if it's small. And the basket ball hoops can already be made on the ship, what's wrong with making go-karts a station thing? Just make em so you have to buy them, and you can get shoved out/shot. Essentially a reskinned segway without the knocked over handlebar function.

..even if there is no future plan of zlevels, I think it would be very beneficial to reduce the size of it dramatically and allow go-karts be used on the station proper.
I assume no one wants to mess with it because:

1. No current need for the space
  2. No need to undo the work if the space isn't needed
  3. VR is low on the priority list of things that need to be worked on
I completely agree that the kart track is way too big in comparison to it's usage, though.

Another problem with VR to consider; Like old mining, it's one of those things that takes you away from the action going on the station, both as a participant and as an observer. Think about how when people fight in the ring, and the crowds that can draw.

If VR could be retooled into something that is easier to jump into and out of while still being engaged with the rest of the station, you might see it used more often.
Like you said; not really a controversial opinion. My guess would be that there hasn't been a need for such consideration yet, as interest in telsci died down.

In any case I sure wouldn't be salty if the space were put to better use. Barring doing something drastic like allowing ghosts to pop in, VR will always be a gargantuan ghost town. No pun intended.

A shame, as it's quite the pretty creation.
(06-07-2017, 11:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If VR could be retooled into something that is easier to jump into and out of while still being engaged with the rest of the station, you might see it used more often.

*cough*

I would like to see VR just completely reworked to be smaller and have different things in it besides a kart track. I've heard there was a gun simulation and a wizard simulation?

TV's were placed all over Cog2 with the intent of letting people watch VR but 1. no one goes there 2. sitting and watching a tv takes focus from your character and leaves you sitting still for people to mess with you. Similar problem with actually entering VR.
VR would work much better as a training ground for antag roles.
When and if the space is needed, we'll get rid of whatever necessary. That's kinda it really.
(06-07-2017, 11:45 AM)Arborinus Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 11:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If VR could be retooled into something that is easier to jump into and out of while still being engaged with the rest of the station, you might see it used more often.

*cough*

I would like to see VR just completely reworked to be smaller and have different things in it besides a kart track. I've heard there was a gun simulation and a wizard simulation?

TV's were placed all over Cog2 with the intent of letting people watch VR but 1. no one goes there 2. sitting and watching a tv takes focus from your character and leaves you sitting still for people to mess with you. Similar problem with actually entering VR.

I still love that idea

Yeah. I almost wanna say VR stuff should be retooled into something more like Augmented Reality. Like, there would either be a dedicated holochamber of sorts that you load scenarios into, or bits of equipment like AR goggles, suits, and weapons that you put on and have the game situations projected onto the station itself

Only problem is it would seriously hamper on the destructiveness you could do in a consequence free environment

(06-07-2017, 11:46 AM)locusts Wrote: VR would work much better as a training ground for antag roles.

Not just that, but training rooms for surgery, chemistry, atmospherics and other complicated systems

Not necessarily where you'd have unfettered access to screw around, but where you get a guided tutorial on the basic ideas and how to apply them to the real deal
(06-07-2017, 11:41 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: In any case I sure wouldn't be salty if the space were put to better use. Barring doing something drastic like allowing ghosts to pop in, VR will always be a gargantuan ghost town.

I would actually be for this.  Being able to do something other than fixing the station or building rooms that will never be used would be nice.  Go Kart racing, basketball playing, and arena would be a nice distraction.
Removing VR isn't really a controversial opinion. Honestly, it's a rather dumb idea to begin with. Why even have a completely separate area for things like kart-racing and fighting? It's taking action away from the main station, and everything being consequence-less makes for a boring challenge. I mean, even when go-karting rounds are arranged, they're usually when karts are spawned on-station, which makes things far more interesting. Baring some neuromancer-style cyberspace hacking interface, VR should be restricted to tutorials and testing.
(06-07-2017, 11:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I assume no one wants to mess with it because:

1. No current need for the space
  2. No need to undo the work if the space isn't needed
  3. VR is low on the priority list of things that need to be worked on
I completely agree that the kart track is way too big in comparison to it's usage, though.

Another problem with VR to consider; Like old mining, it's one of those things that takes you away from the action going on the station, both as a participant and as an observer. Think about how when people fight in the ring, and the crowds that can draw.

If VR could be retooled into something that is easier to jump into and out of while still being engaged with the rest of the station, you might see it used more often.

add in vr goggles/headsets
I really like the idea of a holopad scenario where the entire VR can be changed to fit various scenarios. This way we can have our massive Go-karting rink, VR battle domes for Atang training, medical/virus/chemisty testing labs and the two massive battle arenas marq made (expanded upon to make use for all the extra space this is giving us of course) all in one area.

I also love the Idea of the AI living inside VR as it's own personal little god
Those are great ideas, pizzatiger! I'd like that chill beach area to be a holopad area as well. I'm not sure how to get there, but I saw Dions hanging out there once.
Just my own thoughts, but if VR was removed, we could get an afterlife area where people who die can go to not hear the normal world and interact with each other without consequences (As in Beat each other's heads in repeatedly without needing antag nor going by the risk of being banned for beating people's heads in).
While the first VR area is brightly lit, it took us a while to find the button in the colloseum side because of the lack of light. Please make it brighter.
Two interesting ideas brought up in this thread - ghosts and AI entering the VR. What if ghosts, the AI, and humans could all enter and inhabit VR with different rules and interactions placed on them?

This would make VR much more interesting.

Humans could visit VR as they do now, interact with the AI and ghosts, try to challenge the AI and breach it's upload, have fun, etc.

Ghosts are confined to VR. They can only leave to become a ghost drone or a permanent observer. Ghosts can, however, still interact with the station through mostly garbled text through ouija boards, the Chaplain, or other limited ways. While in VR, ghosts can be cloned or borged. Ghosts enjoy the virtual environment with a few special abilities.

The AI can switch between VR and the station as it does camera networks, though it has a great deal more control while in VR. It moves in VR as the Blob Overmind does. In VR, the AI can summon things, perform special feats, etc.

Interesting to think about.