Mentor Application: YoukCat
everything that he doesn't know I also don't know and I'd like to think I'm a decent mentor. he knows more about silicons than maybe 95% of people who play this- just off that he should get the purptxt
No, for the same reason as the other's. Sorry.

(05-31-2017, 01:08 AM)The Worst Wrote: No, for the same reason as the other's. Sorry.

*others. I am ashamed of my poor grammar and will report to the Punishment Cube immediately.
Upon further review it is with a heavy heart that I end up saying no at this time.

You most of the right mentality for a mentor down (and thanks for your honesty in the ban/punitive measures bit) but it seems like you're lacking some of the knowledge a mentor is expected to have, and this also concerns me:

Quote:If I get mentor and I get a question such as a Traitor asking how to turn on their Traitor PDA, I would willingly follow them into Maintenance in order to prevent any Metagaming on my side.

This is still, in a sense, metagaming, and I know you're presenting it with the best of intentions but we've had problems in the past with mentors who are a little too eager to break metagaming rules in the name of assistance.

I think perhaps give it a bit of time and apply again in future.
Apologies if after Cirr's post it should be the end of the discussion, but I would like to add that I consider Youkcat a solid player and one of if not the best AI's on the station. To the point that I actively swear outloud when I get antag with them as AI. With that said I have seen some law pretzeling, but in terms of knowledge and experience they're aces in my book.
I didn't lock the thread, it's not the end of the discussion yet! big grin
I think his experience with silicons will be invaluable. We have plenty of mentors who know how to set up a decent burn, but not enough who play silicon as well youkcat does. Its a yes from me
ik the decision is a no but youk is so ridiculously good as an AI that it's hard pressed for me to see how he wouldn't be an asset even in some small way. we're going to get a lot of first time AIs on board soon and i cannot name a single player who would be more adept at guiding them than youk.
i don't think mentors need to be a swiss army knife of talents- there are always a few on board who have enough rudimentary knowledge to answer generic engine/chem questions. as for silicons I can't exactly say the same. he will 1000% make the life of someone trying out AI the first time much, much easier and maybe even have them stick along as one consistently.
dude essentially has a PHD in the hardest job of the game and he's gonna get turned down for not being able to cover a base that the other 2-5 mentors online can always? not wholly logical to me.
he'd be a TREMENDOUS addition and a much needed one with all the new players coming in. leave the chem/engineering questions for other mentors
(06-01-2017, 10:51 PM)OMJ Wrote: ik  the decision is a no but youk is so ridiculously good as an AI that it's hard pressed for me to see how he wouldn't be an asset even in some small way. we're going to get a lot of first time AIs on board soon and i cannot name a single player who would be more adept at guiding them than youk.
i don't think mentors need to be a swiss army knife of talents- there are always a few on board who have enough rudimentary knowledge to answer generic engine/chem questions. as for silicons I can't exactly say the same. he will 1000% make the life of someone trying out AI the first time much, much easier and maybe even have them stick along as one consistently.
dude essentially has a PHD in the hardest job of the game and he's gonna get turned down for not being able to cover a base that the other 2-5 mentors online can always? not wholly logical to me.
he'd be a TREMENDOUS addition and a much needed one with all the new players coming in. leave the chem/engineering questions for other mentors
this
No one said the decision was made, OMJ. In fact, Cirrial said this is still open to discussion.

If YoukCat's knowledge of AI's is really that extensive, Im more inclined to support him becoming a mentor; however, I still feel that basic knowledge of engineering and chemistry are necessary.
I'm swapping from neutral to yes.

I feel like the constant and unwavering support of Youkcat's knowledge on, and generally liking their handling of, silicons... well, that means that this is more of a personal quirk on my part than anything. Best to recognize that.
(06-02-2017, 05:45 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: I still feel that basic knowledge of engineering and chemistry are necessary.

hey, im a mentor and i know fuck all about engineering, and barely anything about chem. but hell if anyone right now can tell you more about how to play AI than me, youk is basically me but they play more, and probably know more about borgs than I do. enough mentors know about engineering so that it's not a requirement to become a mentor, that's dumb.
As a mentor who has absolutely no knowledge of the engine at all, and (these days) only basic Chemistry shit, YoukCat's experience with silicons and all round game knowledge - which is what actually matters here - is sufficient enough for me to say that yes, he should be a mentor. The purptext crew all have different skillsets and knowledge, and there's enough on at any one time, or in IRC, that even if YoukCat couldn't give an answer on chem or engineering, someone else could.
(05-29-2017, 12:36 PM)YoukCat Wrote: If I get mentor and I get a question such as a Traitor asking how to turn on their Traitor PDA, I would willingly follow them into Maintenance in order to prevent any Metagaming on my side.

As pointed out by Cirrial, One of the requirements of being a mentor is being able to not act on information you gain through mentorhelp.

I do think having a knowledge of most systems is important, there aren't always a full party of mentors to answer each niche question.
(05-29-2017, 12:36 PM)YoukCat Wrote: If I do get Mentor, I should most likely be spending more time on learning things that I've never tried to learn before: All of chemistry, Cooking, Engine.
That is generally done before you apply for mentor.

I do not think having a vast knowledge of AI is enough, as awful pointed out, most questions are basic questions, and things you can't find on the wiki.
if you need all encompassing knowledge then i'd say as much as 45% of mentors need to be axed. i definitely don't know shit about a lot of things in goon, as don't other mentors
Don't be rude, Nate.

From what I'm seeing in this thread not many of the mentors who posted know anything about engineering.