Mentor Application: YoukCat
Usual Character Name: Currently I play by Honko Bluwnes, Buffer, or Karp Carpenter. But if you want a more full list, there's YoukCat Kitterson, Phoebe Buzz, Pinky Greggs, _____ Nebula C_, Yitherus Program, PY-7 or something, that's about all that I played more than a few rounds.
BYOND Username: YoukCat
Recommended by (if applicable): Fosstarreagon, something with Ho at the start of their name, Cirrial?, and maybe more
Times Available: I play wildly dependent on if I'm feeling it or not. Generally however it will be 6 PM - 9 PM Central is when I will be most active.

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):  I'll start with what I don't know. I have no idea how to operate the Engine as I've never even played Engineer, the best chemical I've ever made is Salt/Port, and I've never touched Toxins with a 20-foot pole before. However, I do know a lot about playing Synthetics (Borgs, AI), some basic tricks that new people will have no idea exist (Fire Extinguisher + Igniter). Along with that I know the layout of Cogmap 2 very well and several basic tricks on Robustness. So in general, I would mostly be giving tips in Synthetics and various other simple questions. I do not use the IRC often, however, and as such I would likely miss these things if it weren't for me being in game often. I don't even have an IRC client or something. I hope that doesn't effect things, however, as I mostly spend my time in game or sitting at the lobby menu waiting for the current one to end because I hate late-joining.

The Reason I apply is that I do enjoy helping people and I also enjoy making sure people have a good round. During the time OOC was on a few hours ago, several people (in the RECOMMENDED BY section) said I should apply.  If I do get Mentor, I should most likely be spending more time on learning things that I've never tried to learn before: All of chemistry, Cooking, Engine. If I get mentor and I get a question such as a Traitor asking how to turn on their Traitor PDA, I would willingly follow them into Maintenance in order to prevent any Metagaming on my side. I won't add several more examples, or any for that matter, of me being a good and kind-spirited player. That would be biased towards me. I will admit though I can easily get carried away if someone keeps being rude ingame (miscreant) or keeps getting me in a bad mood (see below), but in general I try to stay a good player to everyone and to teach new tricks and guiding others on how to be Robust.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Time to admit something I'm not proud of. While I was never banned, I was new to the game (I think two weeks at this point?) and MollyMillions, an Admin I believe has retired or something, caught me breaking laws. She entered my AI Upload as Captain and entered a (pretty much) Suicide Law and worded it very harshly and I got a bit too angry and shut down my Core Shields even though the law said not to do anything. She gibbed me and warned me, but said she would not add this to my notes.
Damn Youkcat this is the second time you forget my name. My hearts broken, Anyways I was the other person to say you should apply for mentor and I still give you a big ol yes.
Youk, you have a bit of a shit history, but I all my recent experiences have been good, and it seems you are working on bettering yourself. It's a yes from me, good luck
Tenative yes currently. I know you've been around for a while and probably know enough to be a mentor but past experiences haven't all been positive, but it's pretty hard to be shit enough to get denied mentor so i'll assume you can probably handle answering mentorhelps.
buffer's one of the most solid AIs I've ever played with and makes rounds a whole lot better-probably a top five AI i recall, imo (shout out to KRAKEN though)
yes

(05-29-2017, 09:35 PM)OMJ Wrote: buffer's one of the most solid AIs I've ever played with and makes rounds a whole lot better-probably a top five AI i recall, imo (shout out to KRAKEN though)
yes
also should note that they're v good with borgs/ai work and I really can't name a current mentor with a firmer grasp on AI than youk, would be a great asset to new players figuring out AI (easily the hardest job in game)
One of my favorite AI players. I don't have many memories of you as a non-silicon but I say yeah go for it.
A fun AI! I vote yes.
I definitely remember Buffer positively but I can't say much about Youk as a human. Still a yes for me.
As a Human, Youk is either Really Fun, or really really annoying to deal with, depending on if they got traitor or not, As an AI, they are one of the best players I Know... When they aren't rouged by someone smile. They Deserve the Purple.
It's a no from me.

I haven't had any poor experiences with you as a player (nothing that sticks out, at least) but it seems like you're lacking knowledge in quite a few areas containing mechanics vital to the game. 

I'm inclined to say no for the time being until you've spent more time fooling around in the areas you mentioned have zero experience in. I mean... you should know how to set up a basic engine at the very least.
I'm going to have to say no for the same reasons as atamusvaleo.

You seem to be lacking knowledge in some rather significant areas.
I'm going to change my tentative recommendation to a NO here, as in my experience many of the things that people will actually mentorhelp are minutiae about some of the more complicated systems, many of which you seem to have no idea about.
There are plenty of mentors who don't know the engine, and plenty who don't know shit about silicons.
He's not shit and knows enough in my opinion, may not know a lot but still the main point of being a mentor is helping people and i think he would be able to help most people, so yeah, also really atamus, noah and awful, most mentorhelps are along the lines of this, "<Spacebee> [LLJK US 2] MENTORHELP (BunnyWitchOfHeart/Cyborg Zeta-59): How does one attack?", or this, "<Spacebee> [LLJK US 2] MENTORHELP (Blackmesa141/John Mastif): Can you over write AI laws 1-3?", I feel he can answer stuff like that, and mentors build on each others knowledge, i would feel very comfortable endorsing youkcat, really you don't have to know a ton, you just have to know enough, so it's a yes from me.
mmm, honesty is needed but rough here.

I'm neutral on this one.

On the one hand, I disagree with the knowledge assessment. Youkcat, within their spread of knowledge, is almost a powergamer at points(as someone who identifies as a bit powergamey at points as well, I have no problems with this), and has quite a lot of niche knowledge. I don't really think that's a problem, per se-a lot of the mentor helps I get are interface knowledge anyways.

Oddly, my problem is more of a personality/area of expertise issue. I've had issues to the edge of(and I think over once or twice?) AHelping Youkcat on twisting laws into pretzels/pushing them as far as they'll go.

This, in and of its self, isn't a problem-there's a huge spread of AI playstyles. The thing that makes me leery here is the fact that they're... very opinionated on how right... and even proper... it is to play AI like this.

I strongly disagree on that, for reasons I consider valid, but I always try to throw those mentorhelps straight to ahelp-where they belong-and if I feel a need to give commentary(no admins on mostly or likely to be on due to latenight) I try to give a range of options. What worries me is a combination of "history of pushing it"+"justifying it"="pushing it in mentorhelp", to put it bluntly-and on their area of expertise.

To boot, I feel strongly on that area of expertise optimally having a wide range of personalities, so that makes me double leery of any sort of meta-opinion "one right way" being pushed.

I don't say that'll happen, not even close... but it's enough to make me comment why I'm not saying yes-or no, for that matter, as it's obviously a personality call.