Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AI (Artificial Intelligence) - The Thread
This thread is dedicated to changes and improvements to the AI. NOT CYBORGS JUST AI.

Before you start slapping those keys, take a moment to read through the entire thread and get acquainted with what's being discussed and where we are in the process.

1. Discuss what needs changing
2. Prioritize those changes
3. Organize and take action

PHASE 1
Feel free to post ideas from other threads you have. This is just a brainstorming phase. We already have a lot of ideas out there, this thread is to organize all of it. (deja vu electric boogaloo)
Ai should have access to various pc (qm, bank, med, sec, thinkdos, dwaine) tabs without having to find one to click on. Preferably through an easily accessible ability type tab or something. Note that its dwaine access would require the core be on a data terminal like all other wired devices

Ai should be allowed to use the announcement computers that currently require a physical ID be entered

AI should have a few well positioned holopads to allow it to display a hologram of itself to interact with the crew without a borg in the room (cant actually pickup things of course as it's just a projection, seen this on another server and its pretty neat. Id suggest basically everywhere but hallways and maint
I know someone was working on an AI view that was a bit like the blob overmind is now where instead of jumping between cameras it was a bit smoother. I dunno what happened to that but it would be really nice to have.
AI should be able to use all computers, even the ones that currently require an ID and the ones that currently require you to be in range of the computer.
(05-22-2017, 10:15 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote: AI should be able to use all computers, even the ones that currently require an ID and the ones that currently require you to be in range of the computer.

I'd recommend listing these. Ones off the top of my head:
  • Genetics computers
  • Announcement computer
  • ID console
  • All QM consoles
  • Long-range whatever-it-is, the new mining thing
I think killswitching as a thing should be removed. In my eyes, killswitching should only be used for AI's that break their laws, any other method of murder (by traitors) can be done with a little more effort than 'turrets off, click ID, click killswitch'. Rogue AI's can always be fixed with a creative law upload if the resets missing, grieifing AI's should be adminhelped.

Basically, a lot of my problem with playing AI (other than the janky cameras) is people's actions towards AI's. If it's rogue, reset it, don't killswitch it. If it has rogue laws and isn't killing many/any people, there's not much need to do anything. Treat the AI like another player, not like a robotic door opener that has to do exactly what you say or die.
[Suggestion was eaten by a goddamned SCIENCE GHOST.]
I'll come back with specifics later, but here's generally what I think needs improving with AI:
  • The interface: Current camera system is clunky. Being able to move with speed and accuracy, and with the ability to multi-task should be prioritized
  • Lack of interaction with crew and station: There is not enough ways to contribute to the running of the station. Paraphrasing someone else, the AI should be able to essentially run every aspect of the station, just much slower and harder than the crew. AI needs a means to achieve this
Basically, I believe the AI should be an important support system for everyone. It should fill in for understaffed areas, and it should be able to divide it's attentions easily without stuggling against the games mechanics
For some reason, people tend to use law 2 to get a door opened. This is not how it works. Law 2 depends on your access. That means:
  • You can't get a door opened unless someone with access allows you
  • You can't make the AI say its laws unless you have access to the laws
  • You can tell the AI to bolt open/closed doors you have access to
At least, that's how I see it.
(05-22-2017, 10:03 AM)Grizzwold Wrote: I know someone was working on an AI view that was a bit like the blob overmind is now where instead of jumping between cameras it was a bit smoother. I dunno what happened to that but it would be really nice to have.

UPDATE FROM ADMIN CODER TEAM: All that we have to do with the overmind-style AI is finish some parts of hooking cameras up and then hooking up the actual being in the floaty thing part. However, if something AI related is to be worked on, this is probably top priority for us.
(05-22-2017, 07:49 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 10:03 AM)Grizzwold Wrote: I know someone was working on an AI view that was a bit like the blob overmind is now where instead of jumping between cameras it was a bit smoother. I dunno what happened to that but it would be really nice to have.

UPDATE FROM ADMIN CODER TEAM: All that we have to do with the overmind-style AI is finish some parts of hooking cameras up and then hooking up the actual being in the floaty thing part. However, if something AI related is to be worked on, this is probably top priority for us.

This is great to hear, and I agree it should be top priority.

I was going to say, a viewpoint bookmarking thing should be added for quickly going back and forth between places and people you want to keep an eye on, but getting the basics down first and then building onto the frame is good
there have been grim times when i was an ai and a villain was too quick for me, and i wished i could shut and bolt all doors about him instantly, much as crewmen get an "open door nearest to" button, but i understand that you may not want to make supercopping/evil ai-ing too simple
Replace current module/law upload method with my suggested system:

(03-15-2017, 03:56 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: CLOSED
Unlocked | Locked | Off (module removed)

[Image: U6VGdrU.png] [Image: UOyo2fy.png] [Image: GGrxXpg.png]

OPEN
Module Removed (off) | Module Unscrewed (off) | Online

[Image: XfNWPZ5.png] [Image: 0uiNK55.png] [Image: ovXGEN2.gif]

[Image: 1KedNcC.gif]

There's the sprite. "Now, what the heck is it?" you might be asking.

The idea is simple. In its current state, the AI upload is incredibly vulnerable. At the slightest mention of the AI upload being open, the entire crew rushes in hoping to get their Cheetos-stained fingers on the law modules. It's then a free-for-all to see who can upload laws the quickest with the click of a button. With this, I hope to eliminate that ease of access and add a little time to the upload process. Here's how it would work:

• The mainframe lockers (4-6) sit in the AI upload chamber bolted to the floor.
• Each mainframe holds a module inside with a law (or blank module) inside.
• A command level ID (or packet tomfoolery) is required to unlock the mainframe locker.
• Once unlocked and opened, unscrew the module from its holder.
• Pluck the module from the console with the aforementioned cheetos-stained fingers.
• Click the module in-hand to edit the current law written on the module.
• Replace the module, screw it in place, and watch as the world burns.
(05-22-2017, 07:49 PM)zewaka Wrote:

COOL AND GOOD thank you very much

EDIT: Also I second the 'remove killswitch' mostly because I see it used as an anti-fun button rather than something to fix a legitimate problem
I would be curious as to what its intended use case actually is
Alright, here's some stuff I've posted before, with some edits 

NEW AI ABILITIES
  • Bot Command: Let the AI direct the various robots around the station. Commands should be simple, like "Go/stay here"  or "Follow that" Send medbots to an injured crewman, send securitrons to backup an officer, floorbots to repair breeches. Add new bot types for taking care of other areas like botany, and cargo
  • Beefier AI Drones: Add modules for the AI drones that will let them handle performing tasks that Bots cannot
  • Bookmarking: Place a bookmark on a tile or mob and assign it to a number key. Simply press that number to have your view travel to that spot
  • Waypoints: Someone need help finding something or someone? Set a waypoint for it by clicking it and naming it, and let people use trackers or PDA apps to guide them to the location. No need to give them constant verbal updates. Tag messes, breaches, dead bodies, fugitives from the law, and notify the appropriate human
  • Different vision modes: Cycle through different visions to help filter out information. Different vision types could include:
  1. Heat signatures - filters everything as a dark blue, while popping out humans, monkeys, and borgs as a bright orange. Useful for finding people in dark areas
  2. Atmospheric - filters everything as dark green. Tiles that contain gasses are brightly colored various pinks, oranges, reds based on what type of gas is prominent. Useful for spotting breaches
  3. Electrical - filters everything dark red. Electrical currents are highlighted a bright white, with intensity in proportion to the amount of power flowing through. Useful for detecting power outages and sinks
  • Fast Access Records: Click a person and get all of their records (Medical, Security, Payroll) brought up in one easy to use source that's editable. No hunting down a computer to set someone to arrest, or give them a raise. 
  • PDA Tracking: Someone not on your cameras? As long as they have a PDA registered to them and messaging is turned on, you can still locate them. (Probably need to know how the Overmind view is going to handle areas out of camera view, but a little blip in unseeable areas might be one way, the other is just giving you the room name and maybe an XY coordinate)
  • Holograms: AI gets to project a holographic version of itself, as well as the ability to scan people and items to create replications, that can exist anywhere in view of it's cameras. They can't interact with anything (though the AI can still control electronics around it) and people can pass through it causing a shimmering effect of the sprite. 
NEW AI COUNTERMEASURES
Any ability the AI has should be able to be toggled on and off. A machine for this purpose could be put into the AI room, though I think it might be interesting if the AI has multiple locations on the station that house some of it's functions. A rogue AI would have to divide it's attention between defending all these spots, rather than just it's core, giving the humans a bit more advantage in going against a stronger AI.