Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do other stations have that we don't?
(04-30-2017, 06:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 03:51 PM)misto Wrote: goon's research sector has been somewhat impoverished lately, for various reasons. please tell us more about xenobio and r&d

we had some discussion regarding this in ideas, and i proposed that instead of slimes we research plasma spores, and it seemed to be well received.

yeah one thing i like about rnd on other servers is that you can actually....research and develop things!

the only thing to do here is to just make deathchems and bombs

Which is about the best you can hope for in an hour long round. Then again I don't know how long the average round lasts in these servers. Or if there's a way to encourage longass marathon rounds, the kind where a gradual rnd progression would feel more natural, without the crew pulling their asses off.
(04-30-2017, 06:57 PM)Superlagg Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 06:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 03:51 PM)misto Wrote: goon's research sector has been somewhat impoverished lately, for various reasons. please tell us more about xenobio and r&d

we had some discussion regarding this in ideas, and i proposed that instead of slimes we research plasma spores, and it seemed to be well received.

yeah one thing i like about rnd on other servers is that you can actually....research and develop things!

the only thing to do here is to just make deathchems and bombs

Which is about the best you can hope for in an hour long round. Then again I don't know how long the average round lasts in these servers. Or if there's a way to encourage longass marathon rounds, the kind where a gradual rnd progression would feel more natural, without the crew pulling their asses off.

Research is almost instant, it just requires you to analyse a piece of tech of a certain level to increase the database's level for that category and the materials to build with. When I used to play as scientist It was possible to max out all research levels in less than ten minutes, though that was a while back.

Round length tends to be longer due to security/command having better equipment (regular taser shots stun in one hit, alt fire mode acts like goon tasers but has better range) and movement being slow as hell. Player vs player combat comes down to who can stun or crit the other player first, so most antags use boring stealth tactics like hypos full of instant knockout chems. I find tg gameplay outside of mining to be really boring because of this.
I was never a very big fan of the 'go fetch' variants of research. Either way, on goon that'd probably be mechanics' job.
(05-01-2017, 12:55 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I was never a very big fan of the 'go fetch' variants of research. Either way, on goon that'd probably be mechanics' job.

Or have a variety of departments/jobs able to contribute. Mechanics generate research points by scanning things (I'm still not quite sure why scanning existing technology helps you create new stuff, but there you go), geneticists do it by researching genes, scientists do it by researching artifacts.

Points can be spent on acquiring certain technology, fabricating those things requires a significant amount of material or a more normal amount of material plus some of the more exotic materials able to be mined (claretine, cerenkite, specific types of gem, uqill, miracle matter, koshmarite, viscerite for anything biotic). Artifacts could be broken down to create small amounts of the relevant materials in the case of having spares/mining isn't around.

This is kind of heading off into its own thread again, but I like the ideas in general.
A loud, obnoxious, terrible vox that sounds awful and isn't good at all.

Thanks again for recording all those lines of vox, Spacenaba.
maybe rather than having to invent new items to research and develop in the rnd zone

we could consider locking some currently existing goodies behind a research interface? that will at least cut down on having to think up and code in new prizes. hopefully nothing too needed for station operation but if its useless extra junk then nobody will bother researching it. what items do you think would be good candidates for it?

it could have some crossover with artifact research in allowing you to research and replicate good artifacts you find too, maybe eventually culminating in the development of those artifact organs that ppl liked a while back

or maybe research a doohickey that you install in the telesci computer does the drat math calculations for telesci for you. its no loss, i know all you guys already have your spreadsheets and shit for it
(05-02-2017, 09:21 PM)misto Wrote: maybe rather than having to invent new items to research and develop in the rnd zone

we could consider locking some currently existing goodies behind a research interface? that will at least cut down on having to think up and code in new prizes. hopefully nothing too needed for station operation but if its useless extra junk then nobody will bother researching it. what items do you think would be good candidates for it?

it could have some crossover with artifact research in allowing you to research and replicate good artifacts you find too, maybe eventually culminating in the development of those artifact organs that ppl liked a while back

or maybe research a doohickey that you install in the telesci computer does the drat math calculations for telesci for you. its no loss, i know all you guys already have your spreadsheets and shit for it

I've been playing Skyrim recently and the way enchantments work could be an interesting direction to take R&D in.

In Skyrim, you take enchanted items and destroy them to learn that enchantment. Then you can take learned enchantments and apply them to other items, along with a resource cost of soulgems of varying quality

How about for R&D, you take artifacts and destroy them to store their effects and apply them to other mundane items?

For instance, a healing touch artifact could be destroyed, the healing effect stored, and then applied to a baton for weapon that heals on hit. Or a noise maker applies to shoes to make something similar to clowshoes, where each step makes a noise.

Granted, this would probably mean greatly altering artifacts.
Greatly altering artifacts wouldn't be so bad, though, as long as the previous cool effects could still be standing. I want R&D to be a place that makes weird gadgets from materials, artifacts, random garbage and so on. Stuff like a portable shield that blocks the first few things that get thrown at you, then has to be recharged, with a small chance of potentially misfiring somehow unless tuned up

I want garage tech/Paranoia tech aesthetics, hacky, vaguely reliable fun stuff that makes science both a boon and a bane
research doohickeys that you can put on shield artifacts that serve as on/off switches and forcefield editors so they can be used to really protect people rather than pieces of shit that block hallways for several minutes at a time and then get ignored or ejected

and doohickeys that uh, do something, with those prison artifacts and timed-teleport artifacts and borgifacts.

the one you slap onto the borgifact makes a window pop up when you touch the artifact thats says "do you REALLY want to touch this thing and get borged yes/no"
(04-30-2017, 03:59 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Unrelated but TGstation also has an asteroid station map called cerestation which is pretty neat. Each department is contained inside an asteroid and it's possible to dig around much of the area in order to create new rooms or just create new pathways to parts of maint. Of course it's totally possible to dig your way into an airleak. Plus disposals is untrustworthy on cerestation because most of them lead to space.  An asteroid contained map with some hidden locations might be a fun future goon thing. Although Cerestation is ridiculously big IMO.

Cerestation pic here: http://i.imgur.com/B4vgmVP.jpg

TG thread with more details: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8831

This map looks cool as fuck
if a hollowed out asteroid was good enough for hemera and the mining station it can be good enough for the rest of us
(05-03-2017, 03:56 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 03:59 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Unrelated but TGstation also has an asteroid station map called cerestation which is pretty neat. Each department is contained inside an asteroid and it's possible to dig around much of the area in order to create new rooms or just create new pathways to parts of maint. Of course it's totally possible to dig your way into an airleak. Plus disposals is untrustworthy on cerestation because most of them lead to space.  An asteroid contained map with some hidden locations might be a fun future goon thing. Although Cerestation is ridiculously big IMO.

TG thread with more details: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8831

Zewaka was working on an asteroid-based station wasn't he?
(05-03-2017, 08:44 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:
(05-03-2017, 03:56 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:

Zewaka was working on an asteroid-based station wasn't he?

FIRST THEY TAKE MY U-SHAPED STATION IDEA OUT OF MY HEAD (Discstation)

NOW THEY TAKE MY ASTEROID IDEA ALSO WITH THE SAME PLACEMENT OF DEPARTMENTS?

WHAT THE FUCK TG I HAVEN'T EVEN JOINED YOUR SERVER BEFORE
Thus broke Zewaka.
(04-30-2017, 03:59 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Unrelated but TGstation also has an asteroid station map called cerestation which is pretty neat. Each department is contained inside an asteroid and it's possible to dig around much of the area in order to create new rooms or just create new pathways to parts of maint. Of course it's totally possible to dig your way into an airleak. Plus disposals is untrustworthy on cerestation because most of them lead to space. An asteroid contained map with some hidden locations might be a fun future goon thing. Although Cerestation is ridiculously big IMO.

The maintenance tunnels are actual tunnels, wow.