Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do other stations have that we don't?
I'm not entirely sure whether this qualifies as an ideas forum thread or a general discussion thread, but i suspect it's discussion. If i'm wrong, can someone please move it?

So i recently heard in discord that the map was switched out to cog1 because not enough people were playing to warrant playing cog2. Regardless of whether or not this is true, it got me thinking. Why exactly is it that the other servers have playercounts that are so much higher than ours. What is it they have that we don't?

The idea of this thread is to talk about features that other servers have that we don't that might possibly be beneficial for us to pick up in the long run.

Personally, i think the time delay on accessing certain jobs may be a beneficial feature simply because it prevents new players picking something like secoff or captain on their first games and makes sure that people who have some small degree of competence get placed into said jobs instead.
I'm pretty sure it's less about our things and more about our policies. It's those policies, mind, that leave me playing Goon. I probably wouldn't play otherwise.
The /tg/ branches are seen as the "face" of ss13. No one seems to really know what Goonstation is outside our community and googling Space Station 13 is going to only bring up /tg/ branches. This is probably because of the fact it was the most recent public code for a long time. Also since it's based on /tg/ aka 4chan means the people that usually come in are less accepted on Goon.
-Higher RP levels
-Different/less Rules
-More/Different Stuff
-Rude Admins
-A Problem with people from goon...
-Less lag for one reason or another.

Oh, and Themes.
R&D
An atmos department
Better atmos in general (may not actually be true since I do not dare gaze into the abyss of goon atmos code)
More robust AI systems and a far less annoying AI camera
Mechs
Xenobiology
More types of engines
A mining system that's far more interesting and fun than what we have
Better guns
More game modes
Different interface (could be seen as either bad or good)
A library
More numerous and more active developers since the project is open source.

The list goes on.
We do have some things that they don't have. One thing that stops me from setting foot on other non-goon servers is the fact that most other servers only use arrow keys and a good number of the sprites are really bland and poor.
(04-19-2017, 01:23 PM)Arborinus Wrote: The /tg/ branches are seen as the "face" of ss13. No one seems to really know what Goonstation is outside our community and googling Space Station 13 is going to only bring up /tg/ branches.

First time I wanted to play ss13 cause a friend told me about it, I googled it, went to the spacestation13 website, and picked the one that wasn't RP. Also read the description and it was like "its got the best community" and that sold it.

Edit: most other servers seem to make science actually do stuff for other departments, instead of just blowing themselves up and shit. but also no other servers ive seen have the thing goon has where you can move diagonally by pressing down and left or up and right etc
(04-19-2017, 01:18 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's less about our things and more about our policies. It's those policies, mind, that leave me playing Goon. I probably wouldn't play otherwise.
Ditto

To be fair, I haven't played other servers in years, though last time I did clown shoes didn't make you trip and you could lay an egg, so they've got that going for them
actually it'd be really neat if we had reasons for calling/recalling the shuttle, like some servers have. when calling the shuttle you can/have to leave a reason why, which it also announces
Oh yeah the only one feature I remember liking from another server was the ability to write on walls and floors with the blood on your hands.
More clown/mime costumes? Definitely something I miss when playing on goonstation. They have a lot of old stuff which was changed/removed like rev mode, aliens, AI malfunction, atmospherics, old medicine. Boxstation is a heavily modified Devstation.

Other than that their research sector has an actual R&D room, xenobiology (although the roros and metroids were FAR superior to the current slimes), cybernetic augmentations (overly complex surgeries that pretty much require you to have the wiki open).

Mechs are basically their version of pods, used for mining, repair, combat etc.
I honestly wouldn't mind convoluted surgical procedures, but only for useless things. Like a twenty to thirty step procedure that allows a spessman to literally talk out their ass.

Manne Love farts, "Frrrrriends! How arrrre you doiiiiinng? Prraat flop flop flop."

Yeah. Yep... That's probably one of the worst thoughts I've ever shared here. I blame Rick and Morty.
(04-19-2017, 10:42 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I honestly wouldn't mind convoluted surgical procedures, but only for useless things. Like a twenty to thirty step procedure that allows a spessman to literally talk out their ass.

Manne Love farts, "Frrrrriends! How arrrre you doiiiiinng? Prraat flop flop flop."

Yeah. Yep... That's probably one of the worst thoughts I've ever shared here. I blame Rick and Morty.

Post that on the ideas forum now!
Let me preface this statement by saying I do NOT want this added.

They have furries on the other servers. In addition, there seems to be a huge draw from the 4chan crowds with the lax in rules on bigotry and vitriol.

That being said, I don't think those are positives but for people who are okay with that sort of thing, a server with rules against it isn't ideal. The admins on other servers have typically been less than desirable whereas on goon, they hold themselves and each other accountable. Our admins listen to player input and are responsive to it. I think those are strong postives for our community/servers.

Do we need to work on SEO?
I would really like xenobiology and slime science to be added to goon