Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do other stations have that we don't?
I think this was mentioned in passing, but there's also a huge difference between goon mining and other servers' mining. Goon miners get an asteroid magnet, while shaft miners get a whole world of adventure to mine in, complete with actual, bullet hell bosses that drop magical swords and staves. Which creates a sort of perverse incentive, because there's a lot of motivation for a miner to not actually mine and instead go adventure for sweet lootz, rather than mine minerals for Robotics and R&D so it can make mechs and advanced mining equipment for said miners.

Once, though, somewhere on the /r/ss13 discord, I saw a guy praise goonstation mining over tg/station mining on the basis of having a device that automatically collects ore on the ground. Which tg/station apparently actually does have, but in the form of a cute little mining drone that picks up ore for you.
(04-20-2017, 08:01 AM)Cirrial Wrote: better (existing) ghost roles and choices as well as ways to get back into the round (tg has replica pods, positronic brains and pAIs for one thing), 

I randomly read wikis for other servers and this just seems like a fun way to get ghosts back into the game.  Ghost drones are fun, but sometimes you just don't wanna ghost drone, ya know?  I always wondered how neat it would be to be a mini-helper for someone.
(04-27-2017, 09:56 PM)Technature Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 08:01 AM)Cirrial Wrote: better (existing) ghost roles and choices as well as ways to get back into the round (tg has replica pods, positronic brains and pAIs for one thing), 

I randomly read wikis for other servers and this just seems like a fun way to get ghosts back into the game.  Ghost drones are fun, but sometimes you just don't wanna ghost drone, ya know?  I always wondered how neat it would be to be a mini-helper for someone.
what do personal ai's do exactly? Can they do all the usual ai things but like with the pda as their main camera or is it just like an RP friend
(04-28-2017, 06:28 AM)Sov Wrote:

what do personal ai's do exactly? Can they do all the usual ai things but like with the pda as their main camera or is it just like an RP friend

They're like an RP friend. They act like a PDA, and they can fit in your pocket. They can download a few programs, like one that lets them view security records, one that lets you view medical records, and arguably the most useful one, one that lets the pAI hack open doors. They can also turn into mini robots and scamper around.
(04-19-2017, 01:38 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: R&D
An atmos department
Better atmos in general (may not actually be true since I do not dare gaze into the abyss of goon atmos code)
More robust AI systems and a far less annoying AI camera
Mechs
Xenobiology
More types of engines
A mining system that's far more interesting and fun than what we have
Better guns
More game modes
Different interface (could be seen as either bad or good)
A library
More numerous and more active developers since the project is open source.

The list goes on.

Yes all of this especially game-modes we should have more game modes weve had the same ones for a while now its about time for new eldritch horrors to stalk goonstation

and also make shift weaponry never enough make shift weaponry i will not rest until every assistant can take a piece wool a wet noodle and a tin can and somehow make a goddamn laser cannon
I've been waiting for a new game modes for years now. They aint coming anytime soon. Give up hope. What we got is still enjoyable but you know what they say variety is the spice of life.
(04-28-2017, 01:58 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've been waiting for a new game modes for years now. They aint coming anytime soon. Give up hope. What we got is still enjoyable but you know what they say variety is the spice of life.

i would be content with our existing ones being less bad (read: vampire)
(04-28-2017, 02:42 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(04-28-2017, 01:58 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've been waiting for a new game modes for years now. They aint coming anytime soon. Give up hope. What we got is still enjoyable but you know what they say variety is the spice of life.

i would be content with our existing ones being less bad (read: vampire)

That's fair. Some existing game modes could use some polish. That's a topic for another thread though.
(04-28-2017, 08:19 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote:
(04-28-2017, 06:28 AM)Sov Wrote:

They're like an RP friend. They act like a PDA, and they can fit in your pocket. They can download a few programs, like one that lets them view security records, one that lets you view medical records, and arguably the most useful one, one that lets the pAI hack open doors. They can also turn into mini robots and scamper around.

Unrobust people use them to suicide bomb antags.

(04-27-2017, 08:51 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: I think this was mentioned in passing, but there's also a huge difference between goon mining and other servers' mining. Goon miners get an asteroid magnet, while shaft miners get a whole world of adventure to mine in, complete with actual, bullet hell bosses that drop magical swords and staves. Which creates a sort of perverse incentive, because there's a lot of motivation for a miner to not actually mine and instead go adventure for sweet lootz, rather than mine minerals for Robotics and R&D so it can make mechs and advanced mining equipment for said miners.

Once, though, somewhere on the /r/ss13 discord, I saw a guy praise goonstation mining over tg/station mining on the basis of having a device that automatically collects ore on the ground.  Which tg/station apparently actually does have, but in the form of a cute little mining drone that picks up ore for you.

Its real "fun" when one of those bosses spawns right next to the outpost, destroys it and kills the entire mining team with instagib attacks before they can get any equipment upgrades. As for the "bullet hell" boss, its actually easier to avoid the projectiles they shoot out by standing still- because they move so slowly you end up running into more trying to avoid them.

The mining drones are useless- Set them to attack critters and they'll get destroyed in seconds, either by the critters themselves or by running headfirst into lava to attack. Set them gather ore and they'll sit there gathering it as the critters eat them.
Isn't another use of ghosts is to play as holoparasites? I mean, holoparasites feel sorta dumb, because they're rip-offs of the Stand abilities from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, but at the same time, they sound just dumb enough to be good fun to play around with. Granted, I've never played as or even seen a holoparasite in action.
There are also areas in lavaland where ghosts can possess inactive humanoids to revive themselves, such as crashed prison ships with the convicts in sleepers that ghosts can enter.
Oh, what about those little things on the floor where the AI can project itself onto?

Those are kinda neat.
goon's research sector has been somewhat impoverished lately, for various reasons. please tell us more about xenobio and r&d

we had some discussion regarding this in ideas, and i proposed that instead of slimes we research plasma spores, and it seemed to be well received.
I'm kinda partial to the idea of having xenobiology involve mining and genetics rather than be it's own field. Miners can somehow find fossils using the mining magnet and then give them to genetics for cloning using biomass.

Also having seen Holoparasites in Hippie and probably TG, they're basically just players that can harass people with powers and hide inside their hosts. Like PAIs but more deadly.

Worst are the ones that can set you on fire, because of the way tg fire works

if you bump into someone who's already on fire, you set on fire, so being on fire becomes a game of dominoes.

Unrelated but TGstation also has an asteroid station map called cerestation which is pretty neat. Each department is contained inside an asteroid and it's possible to dig around much of the area in order to create new rooms or just create new pathways to parts of maint. Of course it's totally possible to dig your way into an airleak. Plus disposals is untrustworthy on cerestation because most of them lead to space. An asteroid contained map with some hidden locations might be a fun future goon thing. Although Cerestation is ridiculously big IMO.

Cerestation pic here: http://i.imgur.com/B4vgmVP.jpg

TG thread with more details: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8831
(04-30-2017, 03:51 PM)misto Wrote: goon's research sector has been somewhat impoverished lately, for various reasons. please tell us more about xenobio and r&d

we had some discussion regarding this in ideas, and i proposed that instead of slimes we research plasma spores, and it seemed to be well received.

yeah one thing i like about rnd on other servers is that you can actually....research and develop things!

the only thing to do here is to just make deathchems and bombs