Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do other stations have that we don't?
Better atmos, better (existing) ghost roles and choices as well as ways to get back into the round (tg has replica pods, positronic brains and pAIs for one thing), the library, and sometimes just the plain difference and novelty of content is enough.

Also tg has ridiculous levels of constructible/destructible items, as well as that wonderful rapid piping device. God, if I could have one thing and one thing only brought from tg to here, it'd be the rapid piping device.

also i have been advised by my lawyer to withhold any comments on opinions i have regarding the existence of nonhuman playable species
I find myself wanting to try other servers for some of their antag modes, but the feel is so different from goonstation both graphically and smooth-ity© that its a pain. The idea of an antag mode dedicated purely to a malfunctioning AI seems awesome to me, but I dont think theres enough AI functionality at present to make it fun by itself.
As I've said in another thread, the only other server I'd dip into is CM. IFF is super clear. It's somewhat structured and heavily focused on team-based combat. In other words, it's not just an evolved goon clone.

I mean I kinda wish it were based on the Starship Troopers instead, but it's nice that they're actually different.
TG/VGcode: Makeshift weaponry. VG has some insane shit, like a wheelchair cannon that shoots items, and a blunderbuss, and a smokeable tomahawk.
(04-20-2017, 11:39 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: As I've said in another thread, the only other server I'd dip into is CM. IFF is super clear. It's somewhat structured and heavily focused on team-based combat.

yeah alright ive played about 5 rounds on cm, one of which i got shot in the back of the head by a fellow marine with a sniper rifle, spent 20 minutes getting healed, popped out, shot again by a different guy with a different sniper rifle. most of the marine deaths are by other marines
Haha. Sounds about right. I used to play a game called Infantry in the late 90s/early 00s, and CM is probably just similar enough to trigger nostalgia. To be fair, I expect to be shot in the back by any team-combat game if it's allowed. If you always assume somebody is dumb enough to do something, then you'll never be surprised by their stupidity.
(04-20-2017, 08:01 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Better atmos

How so? Does it let you repressurize rooms in a timely manner? And why so? I think I've read that it has something to do with our tick rate being really high (to cut down on sluggishness) which limits how much BYOND shit out can do per second? I'm really interested in how all this eldritch bastardry works.
(04-21-2017, 02:37 PM)Superlagg Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 08:01 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Better atmos

How so? Does it let you repressurize rooms in a timely manner? And why so? I think I've read that it has something to do with our tick rate being really high (to cut down on sluggishness) which limits how much BYOND shit out can do per second? I'm really interested in how all this eldritch bastardry works.

you can also depressurise rooms in a timely manner, and the atmos guy gets a fire axe that one-shot-crits people.

they also have stuff like:
-non-humans for people that like to get murdered For No Raisin (if you go to the subreddit you'll get mentions of "Liggers" every now and then, rarely has so much been said of the tg station pubbies in so few words)

-botanists have pod people for cloning, a machine that takes plant resources similarly to the fertiliser tank and makes eg backpacks and utility belts, and a special vending machine fridge to shove all your produce into (they don't have differently-named plants based on potency like us so it becomes a godsend for the chef)

-science has R&D (apart from taking up most of our current electrician mechanic's role it lets you research newer fancier guns without having to go out into space looking for them) and xenobiology (a great spot for feeding annoying assistants and traitor targets to critters and then harvesting the critters for random mutagens and goodies)

-radio traffic is controlled via 4-5 machines in a small room accessed by the RD, so it provides a way to break communications if you're so inclined.

-mining has a cool refinery room for mass-refining steel sheets etc, works similarly to our portable machine (excluding eg needing plasma for reinforced metal) but it's still great watching the stuff go around on a conveyor

they also have AI that thinks there's nothing wrong with bolting access to EVA, the teleporter room and the AI rooms at the start of the round and never opening them for any reason at all even if multiple heads demand access a frog saying "get out"
I like the science R&D system even if you have to metagame it pretty hard to have any hope of getting the end-tier stuff.

(I still think we should replace Toxins with an R&D department gizmo lab thing!! Seriously put Toxins somewhere else jesus!!!)
Pepper Spray.
(04-23-2017, 11:37 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Pepper Spray.

Put capsaicin in a spray bottle. Done.
I think mechs (or a larger borg chassis that could theoretically carry a human for safety/abduction or something) would be fun for goon but I can't see it happening.

In terms of other station features, CM is fun but mostly in the "I want to team deathmatch" kind of way.

TG has baseball bats, and R&D. Also their vending machine UI is a lot better looking IMO unless goons has changed.

Also a variety of maps.
iirc goon's vending machine ui has been that same basic web panel forever
if it was sprited into an actual vending machine with light-up buttons that turn dark when the machine is empty, that would basically be the best thing ever, but it would have to be limited to machines with a small and consistent inventory
only good thing about TG's ui is that it updates itself so you don't have to reopen the window over and over. it looks fancier but i couldn't care less
(04-24-2017, 03:46 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: only good thing about TG's ui is that it updates itself so you don't have to reopen the window over and over. it looks fancier but i couldn't care less

...but our UI does that