Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Add More Genetics Races
I personally like the idea of having non-human rac-OH GOD WHY ARE YOU HITTING ME AT LEAST HEAR ME OUT. Thank you... Geez...

If you have your "Body" type changed by genetics (add all of the body types other than human as possibilities from radiation damage) you get downsides. No upsides, just downsides.
  • You want to play a fishman? Great, better make sure you splash water on yourself every few minutes or start taking accumulating burn damage from dried-out skin.
  • Roaches your thing? Enjoy dropping things randomly as they slip out of your barely-prehensile appendages.
  • Lizard lover? Extra move speed reduction from cold.
  • Bioluminescent? Honestly, enough of a drawback as it is.
  • Dwarf? Easier to grab aggressively.
  • When Mars Attacks? (Could totally be a thing genetics can do) Who needs slots (already a thing)?
  • Monkey? Possibly the only exception to the "downsides only" rule, as they get to clamber through mail chutes. A tried-and-tested Goonstation classic, leave as-is.
  • Bag-o-bones? Make the same click-clack walking noise as those sandals, making tracking you down easy.
I think that's it, I probably missed one.

Basically, turning someone into a non-human should be a punishment because it comes with downsides.

And hey, if it gives me more people to "accidentally" crush with doors while playing AI, all the better.
on the other hand I am 100% for Mordent's snowflake-melting punishment traits
I can't actually rememeber if this was brought up a while back, but I'm still unsure whether genetics races are human or not. The wiki is outdated but says that I think lizard and skeleton people aren't but doesn't mention other races. Also admins have told me different things, either none of them are human or they all are
I like the races being wholly negative.

Manid: Can only eat space ants. Mostly only a major issue on Destiny, but it does stop you from being able to heal from food.
(03-20-2017, 01:07 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: I can't actually rememeber if this was brought up a while back, but I'm still unsure whether genetics races are human or not. The wiki is outdated but says that I think lizard and skeleton people aren't but doesn't mention other races. Also admins have told me different things, either none of them are human or they all are
They aren't human, but it's not open season on em'. This mostly affects AI rules.

That's probably all you'll get. Doesn't really matter though. The crew will fuck someone actively trying to kill a monkey or martian or whatever unless it's a known jerk. We're actually more protective of them than we are of other humans.
(03-20-2017, 12:40 PM)Cirrial Wrote: on the other hand I am 100% for Mordent's snowflake-melting punishment traits

Actually, yeah, I do rather like that idea. Genetics is full of half-handed 'benefits' besides, like catching fire or melting or warping into space. Only fitting that being a genetic freakman would have the drawbacks that come with what you are at the time.
For fish people:

(01-19-2017, 05:46 PM)Arborinus Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 02:26 PM)misto Wrote: here is my proposal

An attempt was made

[Image: DwXdRQJ.png]

On another note, I don't get why all the races have to be animal based. Why can't they be actual aliens?
for the same reason that a lot of things in fantasy and scifi are mixed of animals, animals and ppl, or ppl with gunk on their foreheads - imaginations are heavily informed by what they have already encountered in life

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mantis+al...41&bih=560

ppl mentioned mantis as a race earlier in the thread. did you know that "mantis aliens" are semi-common in alien abduction/sighting lore? they're like stretched-out greys. sometimes.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hopkinsvi...41&bih=560 these little guys are cool too
If it wasn't for the fact it'd fly against the tone and feeling and lore of Goonstation I'd make mantis people in a fucking heartbeat.

However, it doesn't fit. The idea of SS13 here is that aliens are a thing you tell stories about at night. They lurk at the edges of the unknown.

Granted, we're discussing mutated humans, but we're still not dealing in the most transhuman setting here. We're stuck in a Cold War alternate future, for chrissakes.
? we meet aliens all the time. like changelings and martians and those... those things, you know, those things. theyre kind of aliens right? things from other dimensions still count as aliens, right?
Thing with changelings and martains and other things is we don't know where they come from or what the hell they are (Zewaka said on the sol thread I think it was that martains are not from mars), they are an anomaly, something Nanotransen can't explain. Having them be a normal and common thing would ruin some of the mysterious factor.
(03-20-2017, 02:44 PM)misto Wrote: ppl mentioned mantis as a race earlier in the thread. did you know that "mantis aliens" are semi-common in alien abduction/sighting lore? they're like stretched-out greys. sometimes.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hopkinsvi...41&bih=560 these little guys are cool too

lolololerlerlslzollin'

That link brought up an alien that has invaded my home. One that has haunted me since childhood. One that's standing next to me right now!
[Image: aliens-mantis.jpg]
RAWR.

Also have some ninja turtles around. I really need to sell/toss some of this stuff.

Oh and Martians are from Mart -- obviously.
I think that mutant races should remain a primarily cosmetic thing rather than a sort of punishment.

I do however love the idea of skeletons clacking as they walk.
if you want punishments please review the post i made about snail/slug people on the last page. it punishes everyone
(03-20-2017, 09:39 AM)Cirrial Wrote: if we let one single new animal person genetic race in then a dire precedent is set

careful you dont slip and fall down that slope

also i cant help but say that this stuff only becomes a problem when you make it a problem. no one brought up furries until you started frothing at the mouth and brought up the big scary furry boogeyman