Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
buff sec, make qm console hackable
How about a keypad lock for the armory, with the combo in all the sec's notes? Have an incorrect input alert PDA's

The armory remains crackable, but with ample alert time
I like all of these suggestions, especially the armory one. As misto said, the armoury tends to end up as an annoying albatross around sec's neck on rounds without a HoS.  In regards to resources, Robotics is probably the biggest target for having too much stuff. I tend to play Roboticist a good deal, and the only  time I've ever run out was during a long round with 5 cyborgs who were constantly needing repairs from blob-fighting.
The way I see it, there are three viable approaches to the armory issue:

1. Leave it as it is.
  2. Remove the HoS-lock but incorporate some other kind of special security system. Give the HoS some other unique doohickey to replace his armory access.
  3. Make the armory even more secure, keep the HoS access, and use it as a testbed for experimental equipment that the coders don't quite trust the general public to have yet.

#1 maintains the status quo, which is honestly not that bad right now.

#2 solves the problem of not having a HoS by just skipping him entirely, but it introduces a new issue: what do we do with Sundance the Head of Security now?

#3 addresses the issue of not having a HoS by providing a strong incentive for someone to play HoS, thereby increasing the likelihood of there being an active HoS in any given round. As a bonus, it also provides the coders with valuable feedback about new, untested weaponry, armor, and other miscellaneous gear without having to worry about upsetting the general server populace if something turns out to be horribly buggy and/or unbalanced.

Option number three seems like a win-win for everyone involved. I just hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries by suggesting it. frown
how would you recommend making the armory even more secure? the only other place on the station as or more secure is probably the ai upload, and it takes up a lot of real estate
Make it its own Z level perhaps?
(03-15-2017, 05:25 PM)misto Wrote: how would you recommend making the armory even more secure? the only other place on the station as or more secure is probably the ai upload, and it takes up a lot of real estate

A turret maybe?

Do the alarms do anything yet or do they still just beep and light up?
I think they notify secs and HOSEs when someone lacking access? possibly?
maybe there could be a layer of shutters that clamps down if the laser things are tripped. and an internal smes dedicated to powering the laser tripwires and shutters, preferably not connected to the external grid. turrets are nice toys, but a rogued ai could too easily turn the armory into yet another slaughterhouse with them.

maybe some kind of armory warden buddy could live in the armory and hopefully not respond to purge or breaktime commands
idea: require two people to open armoury. both have to put their ID in, a couple tiles or even a room away, so one person can't do it. makes a noise of some kind that's audible to the surrounding area, e.g. sec and outside sec/bridge, in routing, nowhere else. sends a message to the hos' pda, any sec's pda, and the ai's pda. Maybe a way to disable the messaging, but not the sound. the hos would have to be one of the ID's used probably, with a sec officer or head of staff being the other. Anyone set to arrest cannot assist in opening the armoury with their id, as a last resort if someone steals the hos id
i kind of dont like how it makes it tougher for hos and sec to get in, too. yes it also makes it tougher for crimer if they use ids to get in, but a crimer probably has the means to wallmelt/deconstruct/hack/emag their way in. i want security to be able to use this equipment more often.

biometrics are a no-go because a mutation scramble can change the hos's name, dna, fingerprints, voice, etc.

perhaps it could be a number code the hos spawns knowing, using the secure safe/podlock interface. or rather a series of codes, so somebody cant just mastermind their way through the door in a few minutes. the hos spawns knowing the series of codes like a pin number and can entrust them to officers who earn their confidence
(03-15-2017, 08:15 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: idea: require two people to open armoury. both have to put their ID in, a couple tiles or even a room away, so one person can't do it. makes a noise of some kind that's audible to the surrounding area, e.g. sec and outside sec/bridge, in routing, nowhere else. sends a message to the hos' pda, any sec's pda, and the ai's pda. Maybe a way to disable the messaging, but not the sound. the hos would have to be one of the ID's used probably, with a sec officer or head of staff being the other. Anyone set to arrest cannot assist in opening the armoury with their id, as a last resort if someone steals the hos id

I think you're onto something here. Have it be any two head IDs with HoS required OR AI forceable, perhaps? And having it just send a simple Security message would probably be enough-that would work within the current system I'd imagine. I doubt the arrest check is necessary-Nanotrasen having that much forethought to plan for things going that far to pot seems unlikely.
Here's an idea for making sec more interesting:

Place a machine/trader somewhere in sec that accepts traitor items and other antagonist paraphernalia in exchange for cool guy tokens proportional to how dangerous/expensive the item is. Items valid for tokens should be carefully picked, so more often than not getting points is a result of a direct victory over the bad guys; items reproduced by mechanics should definitely be excluded.

These tokens could then be spent on equipment unique to the vendor, better suited for security use. Examples could include an extra port-a-brig, upgraded segways, stun weaponry to surpass tasers, and an upgrade for beepsky with which to make him justice incarnate. All these things would give security new toys to play with, as well as help them evade the temptation of using the traitor items they just jacked.
Give the armory those indestructible Listening Post walls. Just say that Sec busted a couple of syndies trying to smuggle the Listening Post into the station.

Or replace the crates with a merchant that'll only respond to the HoS or round-made IDs.

I'm all for making Sec more robust-by-default.

One way to do this would be to make them more resistant to stuns, either making the stunning actions have less of an effect, or for stuns to wear off faster. This'd make them less curb-stompable by certain antags, but not invincible.

Another would be to give them some extra support-from-crew options, such as having them start with tracking and medical implants, and/or having them start pre-scanned into cloning. Maybe Sec could also have some Pig Sniffers, little locator things that'll point you to a selected cop. This would make it harder for antags to get away with silently murdering cops.
Indestructible walls are probably the easiest (and most hitler.. or maybe, stalinesque) way to go; that still leaves the easy to hack doors. Honestly I don't like the thought of it, but it's the easiest method and it also doesn't require a huge map change. Just add tamper alarms to the doors when not opened by an HoS ID.

I'd suggest some interesting caveats, though: I was gonna say make em' like steel beams, but kerosene is easy to make. QGP and quarkloaf, though - that's fine.
(03-15-2017, 04:49 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Make the armory even more secure, keep the HoS access, and use it as a testbed for experimental equipment that the coders don't quite trust the general public to have yet.
Experimental weapons and equipment? I'd be for that.
now to shoot everyone with the Tommy Gun and make everyone Tommy Wiseau