Goonstation Forums
buff sec, make qm console hackable - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: buff sec, make qm console hackable (/showthread.php?tid=8398)

Pages: 1 2

buff sec, make qm console hackable - misto - 03-12-2017

here is the thread for compiling ideas from the productive discussion from https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8387

first off, buff sec. security is a job with responsibilities and scrutiny and not enough perks to fill out a squadron

1. buff sec's segways
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8387&pid=94489#pid94489

theyre an old joke gimmick for a security force that could legitimately use improved transport options given how big the station has gotten over the years

2. free up the riot gear armory a little
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8387&pid=94494#pid94494

nine times out of ten when the armory is opened up it is at the hands of criminals

next up, make qm console hackable as part of a scheme to make qm relevant again

3. greatly reduce the rich on-station roundstart supply numbers to make qm relevant again, make qm console hackable just in case there is no qm and no one able to replace them legitimately
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8387&pid=94449#pid94449

i would recommend that in its emergency hacked mode, expenditure alerts be forwarded to the pdas of ai, security and command staff so they may stop/punish frivolous spending

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Ed Venture - 03-12-2017

I like the segway Idea. This is just a fun thought but being able to drag them while on the segway would be funny. I got that idea while playing Red Dead Redemption today as I was dragging people on horseback with the lasso.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Noah Buttes - 03-13-2017

I forgot to mention something with the segway idea.

Make the siren a toggle rather than the current pulse set up. I want to be able to flick a switch and have my lights stay on for the duration of a fast and furious glorified mall-cop chase.

Edit: I also fully endorse having a hackable QM console

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - atamusvaleo - 03-15-2017

I am one of the few (only) players who actually sets security  to favorite most of the time. The segway isn't really a drawing point. While it would be a nice added flavor, I can see it quickly getting run into the ground or forgotten about.

Maybe Security officers could spawn with an implant that makes them slightly more robust than the average crew member (ie: shorter stun recovery, faster stamina regeneration, stronger strikes, faster run speed).

This effectively sets them apart from the crew and makes them an actual threat to antagonists who will now see an officer and think, hmm maybe I shouldn't mess with him or employ some diversionary tactics, etc.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - misto - 03-15-2017

there are robusttec implants, but im not sure what those do? release drugs into you if you fall into low health?

maybe they could spawn with health and tracking implants. to make it harder to kill them and hide the body and get away with it, and to remove any prep time theyd need to dedicate to getting such implants.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Noah Buttes - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 09:26 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: I am one of the few (only) players who actually sets security  to favorite most of the time. The segway isn't really a drawing point. While it would be a nice added flavor, I can see it quickly getting run into the ground or forgotten about.

Maybe Security officers could spawn with an implant that makes them slightly more robust than the average crew member (ie: shorter stun recovery, faster stamina regeneration, stronger strikes, faster run speed).

This effectively sets them apart from the crew and makes them an actual threat to antagonists who will now see an officer and think, hmm maybe I shouldn't mess with him or employ some diversionary tactics, etc.

Why not both?

I'd certainly be drawn to perform my duties as HoS more often if I had more fancy toys to arrest badguys with.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - misto - 03-15-2017

boxers and coaches could have enhanced stamina and stuff too :3

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - SageAcrin - 03-15-2017

This sorta dives into an idea I've been thinking of.

Firstly, the Armory is generally a goddamn pain in the ass for Sec to get into. It requires non-Sec(the AI, which is irritatingly likely to be braindead) or illegal activities on their part to get into, and even then a lot of newer AIs react with "I can't get in" due to how it's coded. Also, they get subverted and blown up an awful lot.

I'm wondering how hard a simple console that wires to a door, that requires an ID card in and opens a blast door style door would be. You'd have to have a Sec ID, you'd have to pull it out, specifically and notably put it in in a glaringly visible action at a console, so it'd be something still notable, but it could be something a beleaguered Sec force could do even with the HoS out of action, or without an AI. And you could always have an AI able to login too for fast opens. Maybe even have the opening play a loud siren and take some time.

Secondly-a lot of the toys in there sort of suck at actual riot control or dealing with extremely dangerous single enemies/blobs-flashbangs are good but general access already, smoke grenades can kill people without internals and don't do a lot otherwise, tranqs are good sometimes but awkward against some of the nasties like Changelings and Vamps...

I don't think it needs a lot of changes though. My big thoughts here;

A: Change up the grenade boxes a little. Cryo grenades are great. Shock grenades... I can see that. That makes sense as a last resort for a crowd. Incendiary? Why is Sec burning large crowds to death? That seems a little indiscriminate as an option, and weird in that box.

A good alternative here-make a durned Sorium shockwave grenade. It's the space equivalent of a watercannon. Plug some of all three of these, call it anti-Riot grenades boxes.

B: Two flamethrowers. I believe the Armory just has one. This... fits way more for anti-blob. I could be wrong on this.

C: While I'm not against smoke grenades in general being an ineffectual and vaguely confusing weapon at a glance(they have good uses in practice as area denial and closing weapons, so it works well, and really, of course Nanotrasen gives some illogical weapons to their cops because they sound good on paper), alternate anti-bio grenades make sense and this is where a small incendiary chem explosion seems more logical to me than as a hand grenade for Sec. This would be a great tool for Sec against the really dangerous rampage types and blobs, without being really overpowering. And of course it's funny for crimers. *poof* *fire*

Haloperidol grenades-a box of four at most, for the love of god-could be interesting too for certain situations.

D: Speaking of haloperidol, one clip of another tranq dart-again, just four-could be interesting. Ketamine is tempting but Ketamine darts are VERY strong-I'm thinking atropine. Atropine is a chemical that can be used to detain even stun resistant crazy people/aliens/vampires-and why SHOULDN'T Nanotrasen be both aware that these crazy people/aliens/vampires exist, and horribly underestimate them and not supply Sec with an answer to them for ages, and even then only do so by giving you four darts in a dusty corner? But yeah, lingering slow tox damage and confused movement makes this a perfect slow-and-followup option for Sec, I think.

E: Throw a pair of mechboots in there for use with the heavy gear. Exactly one. With all the pile of heavy gear. The idea is that you have ONE person out in front as the riot barrier/bomb defuser, not an entire squad, like Nanotrasen has the money for that!

Final thought; If some of this seems too strong... lock a few things behind HoS crates specifically. (If you're worried about packets... just make HoS stuff unhackable specifically. People will live without their hat and it fits.)

So yeah, that's some thoughts I've had, feel free to critique, people that play Sec more/break into the armory more.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Vitatroll - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 09:34 AM)misto Wrote: there are robusttec implants, but im not sure what those do? release drugs into you if you fall into low health?

maybe they could spawn with health and tracking implants. to make it harder to kill them and hide the body and get away with it, and to remove any prep time theyd need to dedicate to getting such implants.

Code:
        for (var/obj/item/implant/I in src.implant)
            if (istype(I, /obj/item/implant/robust))
                var/obj/item/implant/robust/R = I
                if (src.health < 0)
                    R.inactive = 1
                    src.reagents.add_reagent("salbutamol", 20) // changed this from dexP // cogwerks
                    src.reagents.add_reagent("inaprovaline", 15)
                    src.reagents.add_reagent("omnizine", 25)
                    src.reagents.add_reagent("teporone", 20)
                    if (src.mind) boutput(src, "<span style=\"color:blue\">Your Robusttec-Implant uses all of its remaining energy to save you and deactivates.</span>")
                    src.implant -= I
                else if (src.health < 40 && !R.inactive)
                    if (!src.reagents.has_reagent("omnizine", 10))
                        src.reagents.add_reagent("omnizine", 10)
                    R.inactive = 1
spawn(300) R.inactive = 0

Quick lookover says it fills you with 10u of omnizine at less than 40 health (that function has a cooldown), and further fills you with that cocktail at less than 0 health -- but then burns out. Which is odd because I don't think we have inaprovaline in the code.

QM Console: I agree.

Segways: They could use something.

Items: I'm part of the less is more faction, ye.   s

@vitatroll

I believe inaprovaline has been replaced by epinephrine in a bugfix.

I may have actually reported that bug myself, but I definitely remember it either being reported or patched.

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Frank_Stein - 03-15-2017

I'm down with better segways.

Implants are also nice. I'm leaning more on them having some kinda combination health/tracking/camera implant but a stamina booster or something would be neat

There's an old thread about ammo types for the grenade launcher that might be worth looking into for more gear options, though I agree that less is more provided that the tools you have are very versatile

I feel like security tool belts should be able to hold tasers and stun batons.
Surely they have holster and belt loops, right?

Can they already do that? I don't remember them being able to do that, but the wiki says they can.

Is it a bug?

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - Frank_Stein - 03-15-2017

They have before

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - NateTheSquid - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 11:50 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I feel like security tool belts should be able to hold tasers and stun batons.
Surely they have holster and belt loops, right?

Can they already do that? I don't remember them being able to do that, but the wiki says they can.

Is it a bug?

they can indeed, was added a while back, during the time you were dead i think.

i like the armory change ideas, except have a box of incendiary grenades somewhere still because they are insanely good anti-blob weapons

RE: buff sec, make qm console hackable - atamusvaleo - 03-15-2017

I'm going to go ahead and squash the "let sec get access to the armory" idea.

There is a reason the HoS is the only one with access and players have to endure the application process.