Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Events and LLJK 1
There are usually no events on destiny, apparently because of the amazing population it has (?). If antags do not make a comeback, the events could be adjusted to fit the population that is on, so they have more things to RP with, :

Meteor Shower: Cap, HoP, CE or Engineer

Radstorm and Blowout: Medical Staff

Ion Storm: AI or Cyborg + one member of Command staff (With deadlier laws only if there are 10+ online)

Anomalies: Scientists and RD (Just so they get their own event)

Singularity and other destructive events: When the round goes past 400 minutes (To prevent rounds from getting too long, so you have an actual reason to cal the shuttle, instead of because the round is too long)

Now, onto an event i though would be nice to RP with, though it involves antags:

Werewolves:

Random event: Needs at least 5 people

One of them is randomly picked to be a werewolf

No power over the transformation, you get a message when you are about to transform so you can run

Can only kill when transformed

Cannot blow up the station

Make forced open doors fixable

Add a cure: made with silver, mutadone and something else, so you do not have to kill the wolf and put him out of the round

Dangerous Space:

The ship is entering a treacherous part of space and requires that all crew remain on board.

Would only affect the normal z-level and the warning is given the same way as the blowout.

Crew outside are killed/mutaded

I may add more as i have or steal more ideas
Fuck yes to that version of werewolves
Perhaps also enforce the werewolf's need to consume the flesh of humans by making it so that they experience incredibly rapidly draining hunger which can only be mildly sustained by raw meat (perhaps a diminuishing returns with each shift) but greatly restored by feeding on humans?

Just thinking that, while it probably shouldn't be promoted as GO MURDERBONE NOW, it should also not just be the world's easiest curse to just plain ignore.

And as for Dangerous Space, add Shotgunbill's Sirius Rift as a potential candidate, with crew in space suffering horribly, the odd thing that shouldn't be popping up, and spooky messages coming to all until the ship returns to normal space.

Other ideas I have right now are:
  • Travelling through a nebula that fucks with communications (runs all radio communication through filters) and makes everything eerie colours, possibly also causing localised atmospheric anomalies with plasma stuff (gas, stones, goop) appearing in random patches through the ship
  • WE'RE ENTERING AN ASTEROID FIELD, OH GOD A CLUSTER OF ASTEROIDS INBOUND FROM A DIRECTION, GET TO THE SHIELDS CONSOLE
  • Entering Syndicate controlled space, a bunch of the weaker drones or a few nastier drones have a target lock on the ship, fuck!
  • Entering Space Wizard Federation space, oh fuck a giant fireball is slowly coming towards us!
  • Entering weird space, oh god everyone is tripping balls now and visualising other people as being in the wrong place and doing questionable things etc
Your version of Werewolf is awesome. Adding what Cirrial suggested I think a werewolf gamemode could work on both servers
Maybe with the destruction events, the crew has a chance to survive. Essentially, the ship has entered the gravitational influence of a stellar black hole! The crew must divert power to the engines to gain enough thrust to escape the deadly black hole before everything is consumed! This would entail depowering all the APCs or just switching off your lights, discharging all the SMES units, and temporarily setting a Hellburn and hotwiring the generator to directly feed into the engines!

Another idea:

A nearby star is suddenly about to go supernova (We blame those scientists...) and the ship has about half an hour to escape before being blown to bits! Basically the same as before but temperatures rise and solar flares, radiation anomalies, and blowouts happen a lot more often. Chaos, fires, radiation, and a panicking Medical and Engineering department, all trying to keep everyone and the ship alive. Less RP-ey but more excitement and destruction. Always good!
TL;DR: Add miscreants, don't add antags that have the option to perma-kill because they will do so and with multi-hour rounds that is no fun. Random events are cool.

I know that some events definitely still happen, as we see them now and then without admin intervention (and we see them a good deal more with admin intervention).

The criteria for them should probably change from raw player count, as people have said, and I really enjoy the non-destructive ones. I'd love to see a more comprehensive set of criteria for events, e.g.
  • Electromagnetic Storm: AI/Cyborg around and active; at least one department head active. Strip out the flat "murder everyone" laws, though keep the option to rewrite Law 1. Consider implementing this patch (or similar). A perma-rogue AI is a dead AI.
  • Meteor Shower: At least one engineer (or CE) active.
  • Biofields: At least one medical staff active.
  • Radiation (either the "all non-maintenance areas" or the "big green explosions of mutations" variant): At least one medical staff active.
  • Solar Flare: Whenever
  • Random wormholes: Whenever
  • Merchants: Whenever
New events like suggested are always cool and appreciated. Anything that has the potential to permanently damage the ship should be somewhat kept in check, or reserved for higher player counts (which tends to have shorter rounds anyway because someone inevitably messes something up).

On to the "werewolves" idea:

I play on #1 when I'm feeling like something much more casual. I don't want the full paranoia that comes with "there probably is someone out there who's allowed to kill indiscriminately, so treat everyone like they might be that person". I'm not such a fan of the idea of "werewolves", mostly because they will definitely kill people and may do so in ways such they cannot be recovered (nevermind them not being really "sci-fi").

That's fine on #2, on #1 (where rounds generally go into the 2+ hours unless something goes very wrong) that simply isn't "fun". The alternatives are either shortening the general round length (basically making the ship likely to be pretty seriously messed up by a certain timeframe) or having a pseudo-antag not allowed to perma-kill (so no gibbing bodies).

Many people view #1 as some sort of testing server, where they can try something they don't have the time to on #2 (either due to not knowing the process so wanting to learn it slowly, or due to lack of access or whatever), which drives me nuts. I am personally all for encouraging shorter rounds to stop this behaviour - there's few things more irritating than a captain/HoP who's just that for the all-access that comes with it and refuses to do their "job".

Conversely, the cool projects that people can pull off only in long rounds make long rounds worth holding on to. I've seen some really fun and innovative construction projects that take time to get the materials for, let alone constructing them.

I also find it incredibly annoying when people mess with my projects (certain players are known for this, to the point of me simply logging off/going into cryo until they're gone because there's no security and any retaliation is just met with escalating annoyance to the point of me being unable to pursue that project).

I'm probably overly vocal about this, and my immediate concern is that if those players are given the option to cause mayhem without getting in trouble then they will do so even more.

I don't think whitelisting that role would be a good idea, as that's too restrictive.

I honestly think that simply adding "miscreants" in would be a simple step that goes a long way into making things more lively without interfering with most people's fun.
(03-13-2017, 07:09 AM)Mordent Wrote: TL;DR: Add miscreants, don't add antags that have the option to perma-kill because they will do so and with multi-hour rounds that is no fun. Random events are cool.

I fully agree with this. Some way to add fun while still not requiring the constant supervision that an antagonist needs.
I'd take it a bit further, allow anyone who wants to be a miscreant be one. Breaking things and making a hot mess for the sake of giving the crew something to do shouldn't be restricted to a lucky few.

And what happens if everyone gets the idea to fuck up the ship at the same time?

Magic happens. They're still alive, and now they all have a mess to pretend to care about.
1 just had a few antag rounds in a row and they were all pretty great. People are generally a lot more restrained about killing with the roleplay rules, and people are much more willing to roll with antag gimmicks when they're in character. 

Random events are nice, but you really can't replace the human element. You're not just fighting off some in game thing, you're creating your own stories. Perma-Killing is definitely an issue that should be looked at though.
Ideas
Disable gibbing of living players and corpses with active ghosts attached to them.
Disable corpse rotting.
Make spaced/hidden bodies easier to recover. Some kind of locator implant that players start with?
Disable rampage/murder oriented traitor items, but keep the non-lethal stealth stuff
Enable gang mode? Monkey mode? Wally Waldo?
(03-14-2017, 12:59 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Ideas
Disable gibbing of living players and corpses with active ghosts attached to them.
Disable corpse rotting.
Make spaced/hidden bodies easier to recover. Some kind of locator implant that players start with?
Disable rampage/murder oriented traitor items, but keep the non-lethal stealth stuff
Enable gang mode? Monkey mode? Wally Waldo?

Keep rot, it can be worked around and gives the roboticist/geneticist something to do if they wanna do some borging/monkey brain transplants. Don't disable gibbing, but make it spit out a brain. Finding spaced bodies is like the best legitimate application of a chaplain. Set up the ouija board plus a yes and no chair and you can zero in on a corpse pretty fast with some good questioning.

I agree that some items that are only really good for hyper rampages might need looking at, but I don't think all lethal items should go. Make it more of an enforced stealth role with stealthy weapons like the silenced 22, the radbow, or the syndicate dagger available as lethal options. If a traitor wants to go on a rampage they can go on a pretty effective rampage with nothing but an extiguisher and a staple gun, so you shouldn't design around them too hard just push the slow burn stealth traitor angle pretty hard.

Some gimmick modes and just more interesting modes in general would be nice.
(Pasted this from Discord. It's been suggested before)

SynthBrains on LLJK1 should pick a random ghost and shove them into that brain, if they say "Yes" to it. If their original brain is revived, they get asked if they would like to reinhabit their original body.

That ghost would be told that it's starting a brand new life and mentioning or acting upon information gained during its previous life would be metagaming
I agree with pretty much everything Mordent said.

After having experienced a few rounds on secret ("intrigue"!), there are a few suggestions I'd like to echo/throw out.

One would be to not allow antags to perma-kill (eg. gibbing). It would suck to be killed early on and have your body destroyed, and have to wait, say, two more hours before playing again. I know there's the option of becoming a ghost drone, but you can't really interact with others when you are one.
In a similar vein, maybe remove most of the traitor objectives that need the person to kill others to succeed. First off, there's not a lot of RP in simply killing others (or simply dying), unless you really try. The traitor themselves might spend time prepping and making sure everything's perfect, but most of the time, the victim is unaware until they're actually attacked... And then they're dead. Of course there are exceptions where it is fun for everyone, but those are kinda rare. Surprisingly, changelings and vampires don't seem to face such problems (thus far), simply because it is easier to tell when something's amiss, which automatically leads to tension and suspicion (if that makes sense).
Other gamemodes definitely would be fun to try out. My suggestion for now, though, would be to also throw some extended (please!) and hardmode traitor rounds into the mix, so that people don't get too paranoid or focused on the gear/"winning"/whatever (and also because extended still can be loads of fun by itself, as long as you have people).

edit: How could I forget? Please also consider adding (optional?) miscreants! Maybe not the too destructive objectives, but ones like getting your department to go on strike, or stalking someone could prove to be interesting!

edit2: Also, valid kills... It would be nice if people didn't try to kill antags unless they were known to be hostile or have severely malicious intentions. Though, I doubt there would be any way to actually enforce this.
miscreants would work well on destiny. once, as an inspector, i accidently got the entire station to go on strike by giving them a C-
Currently, there are antagonists on LLJK1. It's going GREAT! There's people on, and they're enjoying it. For example, a few rounds ago, Bryce (me) the MD was a traitor! He ended up being not nice, switched some pod fuel tanks with the life support, nearly went out with a bang once, killed a few people, then went out with one last bang as his last victim slowly died from cyanide on the floor of the shuttle. And, he shot himself while laughing maniacally. He went boom from microbombs. Fun times! big grin It was even entertaining for the ghosts. But, oddly, during that time, no random events happened. Just now, as an AI, things could've gone wrongly right if ion storms happened. Oh if only big grin