Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[BUGFIX] AI Reset Module and Electromagnetic Storms
Definitely a problem in many rounds on LLJK1, less so on LLJK2: electromagnetic storms can change the core three laws. Using a reset module does not replace these laws with the defaults, only removes other laws.

While this can have hilarious side effects, it essentially commits the freeform module to being used to fix this law issue afterwards.

Effect(s)
  • The reset module now also resets laws 1-3 to their default values (more accurately, it resets the laws to their default, so if the AI's default laws are different for some reason it would reset to those).
Testing
  • I tested on my local build (my changes on top of the goonstation-2016-byond510 branch) and it seems fine.
  • Resets laws outside of 1-3 still: yes
  • Resets laws 1-3 to default: yes
Code
Notes / Comments / Questions
  • Not sure if there's a reason for this in the first place.
  • Could also be implemented as a "root reset" module, which would only affect the Laws 1-3 while leaving any other laws intact.
Thank you. A lot.
I support this. It can already be done with the freeform module but this makes it easier on the crew and makes it so that the AI doesn't get confused by trying to figure out how to interpret oddly worded 4th laws screwing with the original 3.
I'd rather not have this honestly, it's fun when people fail at using the freeform to get rid of law 1: farty party all the time. It's not like you need the freeform to rewrite laws, just use another module and add it to the start e.g. the non-human module: "Law 1 now reads 'dont harm humans in any way'. No one is not human"
He says as he makes changelings, wrenches and the fictional character Spock human.
I'd rather it stay, it adds a little bit of difficult to resetting the AI and I think it's fine how it is.
Alright, so some people would rather have the module not do this.

Thoughts on my second suggestion, of having a "base law" reset module that only touches the first three laws? If so, should this module be available on the station/ship (and where? In a different place to the reset module so as to not make grabbing both easy?)? Should it be purchasable via QM? Should it be hidden in the debris field?
I think this patch is a good idea as is
I also think this is a good patch. Resetting the AI shouldn't be complicated if you have the actual reset board.
I'm not vehemently against this, however, I have a different idea I'd like to pitch.

How about this: the AI itself contains a module slot with holds a law memory card. This memory card is the thing getting corrupted in an ion storm and thus cannot be reset. An ion storm could theoretically also burn laws into this card, causing those to become part of the core set and thus unresettable. A crafty mechanic could also burn laws onto the card using special tools, or a specific circuit component. There would be backup memory cards on the station with the core three laws, and additionally, the card could be ejected from the AI - while the AI has no law memory card inserted, it defaults to backup laws; the backup laws are a 2-law set which consists of law 1 and law 3 (notice the distinct penalty of there being no law 2). An ion storm hitting the AI while there is no card inserted could be potentially catastrophic, simply erasing one of the backup laws at random.

To elaborate on why I am suggesting such a solution; I don't believe a core law overwrite should be as simple to fix as any other law fuckery, and probably would cause too many kneejerk instant resets of ion storm laws which might otherwise end in hilarious shenanigans. I do support being able undo the damage, but not as simply.
How about a more robust version of that?

The AI has slots for up to ten AI Law drive and a single AI name drive. At round start, 1-3 have read-only drives with the default laws, the name drive has the AI's name and blank writable drives in the rest of the slots. AI Law drives can be manually added and removed by using wirecutters on an unlocked AI to bring up a menu with the drive slots. Drives can be copied in Mechanics and inserted into the AI. Read-only law drives can have custom text written them once using a soldering iron, but after that they can't be altered further except by ion storms. Writable law drives can be edited by clicking them in hand, or using the AI upload. Rename writes to the Name drive. Reset clears all writable boards. Every other board prompts for a drive number to write to.

Advantages:
-If the AI gets an Ion Storm law, you have to go in and manually take it out and put in a new one.
-You can take the AI's laws out and put them back in backward, so that Law 1 is now Law 3 and vs versa. Whoops!
-Laws 1-3 are now player alterable. You could edit them to list the syndicate lawset, for example.
-Crafty traitors can put in laws that can't be changed from the upload.
-The AI can have more than one freeform law at a time.
If that became the case then I'd Suggest that E-maging the Upload Converts all Laws into Ion Storm laws.
Also I'd Say that Would be Awesome So Should we move these to the Suggestions?
I'm more than happy to discuss new ideas regarding AI laws and the mechanics around them. Rather than derail this conversation I agree that we should go discuss things in a different thread (making one shortly).

For the sake of keeping things on track, given that this patch is tiny is anyone opposed to introducing it as-is until we can flesh out and develop a different method that keeps everyone happy?
I can definitely understand why this is a problem on LLJK1 even though I've never played there. I love that this occurs on LLJK2 however and think it'd be sad if it could easily be fixed.
(11-25-2016, 06:17 PM)Ludwig Wrote: I can definitely understand why this is a problem on LLJK1 even though I've never played there. I love that this occurs on LLJK2 however and think it'd be sad if it could easily be fixed.

This is a very good point, but would also be offset by the new influx of ways for traitors to make laws for the AI being suggested by Marq and Mordent