Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Add a way to undo polymorph
(04-06-2017, 06:19 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 12:52 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 02:34 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Dumb idea: make it one of those abilities that takes a few seconds to work and doesn't stun on it's own, meaning you need an external way to incapacitate your victim before turning them into a spacegull. If a polyporph wizard stuns you with magic missile you are still fucked, but now you can engage the wizard in melee without being instantly morphed(by the way: more people should use the tactic of splashing beakers full of acid on the wizard to destroy their hat and stop them from casting spells. Most wizards carry spare staffs, but usually aren't prepared to lose their hat).

Polymorph can be cast without a staff. Which means it's entirely possible for a wizard to go stealth mode with medal rewards and pick people off before they realise he's there. Losing your headset means you can't even call for help before he beats you to death with a fire extinguisher.

I had no idea that polymorph could be cast without a staff.

Jesus, that needs to be fixed asap.
Well so can clowns revenge
Well at least Cluwnes can still do things normal humans can do and fight back. Unlike being turned into a bug that dies in one hit. Don't you tell me being a cluwne is a death sentence. I've lived though many rounds as a cluwne and I love being one.
(04-06-2017, 02:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've lived though many rounds as a cluwne and I love being one.

A sign cluwnes need to be buffed
(04-06-2017, 02:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:  I love being one.

this is just self-harm
(04-06-2017, 03:08 PM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 02:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:  I love being one.

this is just self-harm

It's the ultimate survival challenge
I feel like bringing this thread back up on a kneejerk because polymorph still is an instantaneous and irreversible way to incapacitate someone. In the past few months after it was added every round that has a wizard at least one of them is packing it. As mentioned in other wizard complaint threads, it is basically pre-nerf shocking touch and needs a way to be countered or reversed.
yeah it sucks that 1. rathens revenge 2. polymorph 3. magic missile 4. punch once = instant death of one target
I was thinking about it and came up with a compromise that might work:

When a wizard uses Polymorph, it inflicts a disease on people, similar to the cluwning disease, that takes effect over a minute or two. During this time if they get the disease treated they can be cured, but once it progresses fully they turn into a random animal and their fate is sealed. Anyone who actually wants to be an animal can just hide in a closet until their disease progresses fully.
(06-11-2017, 02:59 AM)Roomba Wrote: I was thinking about it and came up with a compromise that might work:

When a wizard uses Polymorph, it inflicts a disease on people, similar to the cluwning disease, that takes effect over a minute or two. During this time if they get the disease treated they can be cured, but once it progresses fully they turn into a random animal and their fate is sealed. Anyone who actually wants to be an animal can just hide in a closet until their disease progresses fully.

seems like a good compromise, but how hard would it be to cure? i'd suggest chaplain involvement but then the common problem of having no chaplain.
Not nearly as bad as old shocking touch. That just killed you no matter what. It's arguably as bad as old cluwning, but most people would rather be a cool animal than cluwne the whole round.

My main problem with it lies in it's capacity for cheese. Polymorph should largely be a griff spell, not a 'kill something quickly' spell.
I personally hate that cluwning can be cured with one easy injection now.
(06-11-2017, 06:37 AM)Berrik Wrote: I personally hate that cluwning can be cured with one easy injection now.

This needs to be fixed ASAP.
I always thought Polymorph was a temporary thing in other games, but it seems in D&D it was usually permanent? I can see why people like to be critters but I don't like being permanently weakened all round without being able to be cloned. What if, after three minutes or something, a polymorphed player gets a "Return to Human" verb that changes them into a (naked) human and gives a short stun.
I still think it would be great to stuff a bird into a cyborg and have it work from there. Maybe let the Roboticist make mechanical wings and talons that'll let them pick up bigger objects. Or robot animals that you can stick their little bird brains into. Turn a bullshit situation into merely a shitty one.

And give Medbay a veterinary cloner, which is like the normal cloner except smaller and smells like dogs. Allows you to clone critters and monkeys, with an emaggable option to upload dead guys into cats or turkeys or something.
In 5E D&D, Polymorph only lasts until either the caster is stunned or an hour afterwards.