Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Journalist Job
Sundance Wrote:What would be really interesting if there was a proper sprite for a newspaper, and you had 2 stamps for the paper, a title stamp and a subheader stamp.
The stamps would be coded like a labeller, as in you click it in hand and then select the wording
I.e: [ASSMAG 2042] for title stamp, then [CAPTAIN TELEPORTS BEES TO AI CORE] for the subheader stamp, and then hitting it with the paper would produce:
ASSMAG 2042
CAPTAIN TELEPORTS BEES TO AI CORE
Then with a pen, you can fill in the gossip, and if you hit a page with a stapler (this is already sprited in the lava moon, DON'T THINK I HAVEN'T NOTICED) you turn the page into a newspaper.
You then could mass produce the newspaper via the scanner that has be sprited here by clarks, by simply selecting a variable (i.e: 50 copies):
Clarks Wrote:[Image: O6W5tSe.gif] Scanner.
I'll sprite a newspaper when I can.

If this was implemented, (and from the looks of it, it seems really easy to do) this would make a reporter job way way way WAY more fun and streamlined.

if this IS implemented the newspapers should be stackable up to a certain amount (like 10-20 or s/t). you can click the stack to remove one.
then we can hire assistants to be newsboys too. its win/win.
for deliveries there should be a little guardbuddy that goes out on a route todeliver papers to the departments and to subscribers
I am just going to take an old idea and say that there should be a reporter borg module, though probably have it not be programmable, like you have to find it on the station/different z level. so when you actually DO see a reporter borg, it will be all the more glorious.

Comes with: Camera, with 100-??? photos.
Pen, (well duh its a pen)
Paper, (see above, but replace pen with paper)
Printer, Spam your newly printed papers all about the halls, need to refill it with paper bins (possible new qm order?)
White Out, Basically just erases all written text on the paper.
Broadcasting PDA, You can cancel the broadcasts, but it is basically a news broadcasting system. (it better use a good chunk of power, I don't wanna see borgs broadcasting every traitorous thing)
Starting module thingy, Localized VOX System, you cant build it, it can only be found. (Please?)

Just an idea.
I kinda like the idea of a reporter borg.

It's pretty much got access to basically all of the station, so it can interview/harass everyone for a good story.

Give it a typewriter that prints papers maybe.
I really really like the concept of a photo that makes people blind. If it doesn't get used in the journalist job I'd love to see a variant of it as a traitor item: a sign you can spraypaint on walls that blinds or otherwise hurts people once it gets in someone's line of sight. People wearing mesons wouldn't be affected.
icarus Wrote:for deliveries there should be a little guardbuddy that goes out on a route todeliver papers to the departments and to subscribers

I like this. Or perhaps Murray could serve this function, since he's just outside the Kiosk and even new players never take his tour anyway. He's desperate for a job.
Embolism Wrote:
icarus Wrote:Suggestion stuff

I like this. Or perhaps Murray could serve this function, since he's just outside the Kiosk and even new players never take his tour anyway. He's desperate for a job.

Traitor McGee: I HAVE PUBBIE JONES HOSTAGE! I NEED 10 BUTTS DELIVERED TO THE OBSERVATORY STAT!
Detective Mason: Oh crap! Murray, take this paper to Pubby Jones!
Murray: Right away sir. heading towards the jazz lounge.
Traitor McGee:...shit.

I expect to see this happen if this is implemented.
Lavastage Wrote:
Embolism Wrote:
icarus Wrote:Suggestion stuff

Traitor McGee: I HAVE PUBBIE JONES HOSTAGE! I NEED 10 BUTTS DELIVERED TO THE OBSERVATORY STAT!
Detective Mason: Oh crap! Murray, take this paper to Pubby Jones!
Murray: Right away sir. heading towards the jazz lounge.
Traitor McGee:...shit.

I expect to see this happen if this is implemented.

I don't envision him following people to give them their papers, I expect he'd just do his usual tour patrol routine and throw papers at department entrances and passerbys.
Besides, people already go "AI track Traitor McGee" so I don't see what you're saying as a problem even if it is how it works.
Embolism Wrote:Besides, people already go "AI track Traitor McGee" so I don't see what you're saying as a problem even if it is how it works.
Well there are certain areas where the ai cant track you. I just thought that murray would be able to track you wherever you were. meh I guess the department thing works.
So there is now a Print All function in WizWrite. That's great, except printers are generally not located in places people look at: the one in Research and Medbay are both tucked away, for example.

Mail Chutes are positioned better, but the long cooldown between uses makes then impractical; plus as I said they still aren't found in key areas like the Bar or just in the corridors.
Here's an idea.

Kiosks.

They'd work the exact same as printers but would be located in more places, plus only the journalist (or someone in that room) could print to them.

Crewmen could access them, see if there's any news, and print it out to read or turn into a newspaper hat.
The newsletter should definitely be sent to your PDA, and an actually copy of it in the style of a newspaper would be nice to have. I also really like the alert idea at Arrivals.