Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Journalist Job
Main Responsibilities: Writing and publishing the station newsletter to entertain the crew. The newsletter would consist of a headline, one photograph, a caption for the photograph, and whatever block of text passes for a story. The journalist would go around the station interviewing people, photographing various acts of violence, gathering facts, and blowing the whistle on corrupt heads of staff. Or he could just publish his uninformed opinions and rants about he would run the station ("Supercop CE turning Goonstation into Baystation?")

Equipment: The journalist's office would be located near the chapel, and in it would be everything he needs to make and distribute the news.

He would have a printing press for printing his newsletter in bulk-he would enter all text by clicking on the printing press and would be able to insert his chosen photo for the article as well. Newsletters would be stackable like metal sheets. The printing press could also print Bibles and DWAINE manuals.

The newsletter would be distributed by a new kind of station bot, which would be programmed to go around the station dropping a copy of the newsletter at the feet of each crewmember it encounters. After running out of newsletters it would go back to the journalists' office for more. If emagged it would throw rolled up newsletters at the crew-through windows if necessary!

The journalist would have many of the tools the detective has. He would have a camera, film, pens, lots of paper for the printing press, a tape recorder, and a pack of cigarettes. His ID would also give him access to more of the station (botany, science, medical, but not sec or the bridge) than most of the other civilian jobs.

The journalist would also have an intercom that would display everything he says in a unique font and color, in case he wants to unleash his inner Rush Limbaugh.

Traitor items:
Syndicate Press Pass (5-7 crystals): An untrackable, all-access ID. You could give it a custom name and job title if you wanted to impersonate the captain or something but the default option would be to have it match your regular ID. Crew will still pull out the tasers if you just waltz into the bridge or the security office but you could still use it to unlock cyborgs and bots, to upload new laws for the AI, or to embezzle funds from the station budget.

Ice moon photograph (??? crystals) a photo of...something on the ice moon. So disturbing that anyone who reads or examines your newsletter from any distance will go blind (except you because you were already desensitized by taking compromising photos of aging pop stars early in your career.) Powerful but will give you away as soon as someone goes blind and yells "Donot red nwsltter!" over the radio.
Oh shit I'm an idiot, please move this to suggestions.
This is a gimmick job suggestion that has been proposed and denied many times already. If you want to run a journalist gimmick, why not just do so as any job? Go tell the HoP to make that ID. It's probably not worth making into an official job, it'll only be really fun for the sort of people who would want to do it with a custom ID.

edited: too grouchy, sorry

I could try to set up a way of making money for pictures of specific things, it probably wouldn't be too hard.
this could work as a cool borg module imho

the borg would have the access necessary to go anywhere on station and bug the hell out of people without posing an immediate risk
it would have its equipment built in so no need for an office or even a locker anywhere
and only someone who wanted to run a journalist gimmick would become a journalist borg so it wouldn't be one of those narrow-focused gimmick human jobs like barber that no one bothered with
A reporter suit would be cool, maybe? Teal overcoat, brown suit, tiny white dog, you get the idea.

I should try out spriting sometime. It'd be terrible.
Journalist Mcgee says "HoS, HoS! Any comment on the prisoner beating stories?"
HoS Joe says "Sec, get this guy out of here."
Journalist Mcgee says "You can't silence the truth HoS, I have pictures I tell you, pictures!"
Journalist Mcgee exclaims "Read all about it, HoS abusing prisoners and cracking down on suspicious characters!"
HoS Joe says "Detective, I need you to target that tabloid journalist and smear his credibility."

I whole heartedly approve of this. Finally someone with a legitimate reason to bug sec, and someone for sec to despise justifiably.
My only suggestion would be that they are impartial from Nanotrasen or the Syndicate, always arrive on the shuttle with all their gear and just that for the entire round and their objective should always be earning a reasonably small amount of money, made difficult due to their lack of a bank account, ID, and general quaters. Nothing says freelance journalist like worming your way into all kinds of places just to get a scoop!
See, the reason I like this is because it is well thought out, and well put together. It's not like it is as useless as say... the chaplin or the janitor. Goonstation is not some hardcore RP server, and these jobs are rarely used as such. No one NEEDS a clean floor or to be hit with a bible, but they are here. I like this job because not only does it add fun content and something for a staff assistant to do instead of begging for all access and toolboxing people but it also plays on the creativity of the people who play this game. It helps expand the mind to explore new and exiting ways to play, but with all the tools at your disposal. I like this suggestion, and I feel that it in no way hurts or negatively influences the game. smile
I saw somebody play the journalist exactly once. I'm fuzzy on the details, but Allie Sanford was reporting around on the latest crimes and security operations.
Until she died on the line of duty in a changeling vs. changeling thing.

There is no reason why you can't decide that you'll be the reporter and go hunt stories.
But, oh, there is no cool id or gear! All it means is that you must get arsed to actually play the role for people to notice.
If you want to print the news, just get a paper bin and write your zine. Otherwise use the radio. Most of the "tools" are available already.

These jobs sound cool, but why does nobody ever bother to play them "unofficially"?
Sorry, I was being too grouchy last night.

There are some fun things that could be done here, I'll look into how the camera works and see if I can find a way to assign a cash value to specific things without having a horrible if/else chain. Another little office could probably fit in somewhere, maybe up near the bar.

What Clarks said there is pretty much the big problem with having it being an official job, but I'd be happy to put in more stuff to encourage the folks who just want to do it anyways.
I think it would be really cool, and didn't somebody sprite a bunch of TV camera stuff a while ago?
It would be kind of neat if there was a room with a copier and a hipstery looking journalist uniform, and maybe a tv for viewing events like that guy wearing the camera hat, or the buddies. Maybe a camera too, with some way to reload cameras for pictures.

Also if you really want to make this a bit more thought out, perhaps it could be made possible to scan pictures into paper, so you could do things like wanted posters, newspapers, and general station propaganda.
This really belongs in the suggestions forum though.

The newsroom could also double as a printing agency, depending on how much roleplaying goes on.
How about a console that can send MAILBOT style pda messages once in awhile?
Also the Johnny~ uniform would work pretty well for this.
Cogwerks Wrote:How about a console that can send MAILBOT style pda messages once in awhile?
Also the Johnny~ uniform would work pretty well for this.

That thing seems so creepy to me
Actually, I think I know a way for this to be both:

-Feasible
-Useful
-Grafty as fuck

Cogwerks, you're already working on a way for people to refill vending machines, right? As part of the QM overhaul stuff? Stick newspaper vending machines around the station. The newsman gets a special cart on his PDA that lets him update the papers, maybe give it limited camera functionality too. Stick one right outside the emergency shuttle, so that people who join a round late can buy a paper and instantly find out all the shit that's been happening so far!

Quote:Extra! Extra! Read all about it! AI is rogue! Syndicates gunned down the clown! Boxing match scheduled at 0050 in the gym!

If a vending machine starts to run low, the Journo has to run around stuffing them full of paper. He can either do his job normally, or start making up wild shit. But better watch out, telling people that the HoS is a changeling will move copy, but also piss off security!
mozi Wrote:this could work as a cool borg module imho

Quote:Extra! Extra! Read all about it! AI is rogue! Syndicates gunned down the clown! Boxing match scheduled at 0050 in the gym!

reminds me of a time i hung around security during a nuke round giving a guy advice like "you should go retrieve all the armory lockers and secure them" while he mowed down syndicates, and yelled out over the radio about how good of a shot he is and how the syndicates "couldn't hit someone's ass if it was made of barns". brobot best bot. reporter bot would be even better.