Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Journalist Job
Marquesas Wrote:
Embolism Wrote:I think it is more for the benefit of people who 1. weren't paying attention, 2. were temporarily braindead or 3. joined late.

The problem is I doubt anyone would do this 99% of the time unless there is some incentive, and even if there were there is absolutely no guarantee people would actually report anything instead of just writing gibberish to get said incentive.

yes because everyone ever that goes chaplain starts a cool religion and doesn't just run around making people fart on the bible and hope to get an artbox as traitor.

there is nothing wrong with introducing gimmick jobs because every once in a while someone really makes it fun

If you read past that post you would realise I did some journalism myself and found I liked it, and offered suggestions.
mozi Wrote:[*]holographic projector? a little pad and you press a switch and a corresponding blue tinted version of you appears on pads in some public areas (bar, medbay, crewquarters, courtroom). if you talk while it's on & you're standing on the pad your holographic version will talk too, wow! probably a butt to code but would be funny to see people constantly fighting over use of the projector pad[/list]

This is a cool idea for the TV presenter-type journalist, although I can see it get really annoying if people abuse it.
My computer died a horrible death so the only thing I have seen about the newspaper stuff is this thread. I just wanted to say that it shouldn't be too hard for people to start up multiple newspapers, and fight for a monopoly of the station's readers. Possibly even watch how perfectly reasonable, and coherent articles turn into ridiculous tabloids to garner the most attention.
I've seen a few good news articles being printed out. I'd love it if pictures could be added, and that's being worked on.

Great.
Cogwerks Wrote:I'll look into some of the printer stuff later tonight.

After the thread got locked earlier I was actually going to suggest just putting a printing press in too storage (where it could also be used for printing tickets for security, extra bibles for the chaplain, or even money if you could buy a money plate from a shady character in the diner)
One more thing I would suggest, add a list of the CentCom Alerts that go out. So when someone picks up a paper, they can read the story about Pubbie McShitlord being jailed on false charges, but also find out that a Meteor Strike hit the station 13 minutes ago from the north, so maybe the bar isn't a good place to head to.
Just played a round as a Newsman detective, holy shit it was a lot more fun than I would have expected. Pissing off Sec with smear campaigns, defeating the AI in a battle of wits, and publishing the worst copy in the history of news leads to surprisingly awesome rounds. After giving it a shot, though, I'd have to reiterate my idea of some kind of PDA app for news-ing. Paper and pen just flat-out doesn't work, the computer is unwieldy as hell to use, (Plus, once you piss the AI off, he can actually fuck with the stuff you're typing, since he has access to every PC. AI!!!) and even when you get something printed off, there's nowhere to really PUT it. You can throw it on the floor in front of arrivals, but that's basically completely ignored.

That being said, I really love what's been done with it so far. The information station outside of arrivals is great, and you're great, Cogwerks.
Any chance of a satchel you can load your 50 papers into so you can run around the station dropping them on the floor one by one? It wouldn't solve every problem but it would help. Would also help if documents printed from the information room printer had a more eyecatching sprite.
How about a printer+chute that hijacks the disposals network to fire newspapers out of every disposal unit?

Or maybe bring back the mail system as a newspaper distribution system.
Embolism Wrote:How about a printer+chute that hijacks the disposals network to fire newspapers out of every disposal unit?

Or maybe bring back the mail system as a newspaper distribution system.

THIS.

Today's headlines: Chef murdered by 4 pm news. News at 10.
mozi Wrote:people are having fun with this & its making clarks angry, seems like a 100% success to me

That's how I roll, baby.
[Image: O6W5tSe.gif] Scanner.
Bump because I actually like being the Editor of the SS13 Honker.

The Info Kiosk really needs a better way of mass-distributing newspapers. The Mail Chute system has a very long cooldown and also doesn't reach everywhere, and neither does the Printer system. The Bar is the most glaring omission. There should preferably be ways to distribute them around the corridors too, and not just specific rooms.

I'd suggest adding more mail chutes (the Bar definitely needs one) and a printer-chute in the Info Kiosk that automatically prints and sends newspapers to every other mail chute. Also, a way to make papers look like newspapers (maybe done automatically by said printer-chute) would be great too.

Oh and WizWrite's line limit makes formatting weird, since the line limit doesn't correspond to lines on papers.
Embolism Wrote:Bump because I actually like being the Editor of the SS13 Honker.

The Info Kiosk really needs a better way of mass-distributing newspapers. The Mail Chute system has a very long cooldown and also doesn't reach everywhere, and neither does the Printer system. The Bar is the most glaring omission. There should preferably be ways to distribute them around the corridors too, and not just specific rooms.

I'd suggest adding more mail chutes (the Bar definitely needs one) and a printer-chute in the Info Kiosk that automatically prints and sends newspapers to every other mail chute. Also, a way to make papers look like newspapers (maybe done automatically by said printer-chute) would be great too.

Oh and WizWrite's line limit makes formatting weird, since the line limit doesn't correspond to lines on papers.
Or just make it to where the journalist can order assistants to become delivery boys.

I'm sure alot of greysuits would be delighted for a promotion that lets them throw things at people.
What would be really interesting if there was a proper sprite for a newspaper, and you had 2 stamps for the paper, a title stamp and a subheader stamp.
The stamps would be coded like a labeller, as in you click it in hand and then select the wording
I.e: [ASSMAG 2042] for title stamp, then [CAPTAIN TELEPORTS BEES TO AI CORE] for the subheader stamp, and then hitting it with the paper would produce:
ASSMAG 2042
CAPTAIN TELEPORTS BEES TO AI CORE
Then with a pen, you can fill in the gossip, and if you hit a page with a stapler (this is already sprited in the lava moon, DON'T THINK I HAVEN'T NOTICED) you turn the page into a newspaper.
You then could mass produce the newspaper via the scanner that has be sprited here by clarks, by simply selecting a variable (i.e: 50 copies):
Clarks Wrote:[Image: O6W5tSe.gif] Scanner.
I'll sprite a newspaper when I can.

If this was implemented, (and from the looks of it, it seems really easy to do) this would make a reporter job way way way WAY more fun and streamlined.