Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Surgery thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfWCc8n_GQ

perhaps you could look to pc gaming/simulation classic LIFE AND DEATH for inspiration. of course, given byonds nature it will be excessive work to replicate its masterful simulation, but at the least you could look to its toolset for inspiration. the various different surgical scissors and the cauterization tool in particular could be great additions

also, take note of the nurse's comments in the bottom text box. giving surgical tables some kind of nurse voice instructions/comments like she gives for different procedures would be great to help players unfamiliar or out of practice
My two cents having had a lot of experience with surgery and the medical field in general.

Hemostats
Set it and forget it! Hemostats aren't a tool that a surgeon is holding onto the entire procedure. You make an incision and clamp the bleed with the hemostat. There it stays until you seal the bleed. (Then we can have the poetential for doctors to forget surgical tools inside of patients!!!)

Rib Spreader
[Image: jr9kCkV.jpg]
Oooo, boy. If you've never seen this in action, be thankful. When we perform surgery to remove certain organs -- namely the lungs and heart -- the sternum sometimes needs to be sawn in half and this little fella is then used to crack and spread the ribcage open. Pretty brutal and breaks a lot of bones in the process. This could be an added step for removing the heart and lungs during surgery. (Scalpel, bonesaw, rib spreader) It would do significant brute damage, I imagine.

Electrical Coagulator
Sounds neat. Looks neat. Is neat.
[Image: Y510RZr.jpg]
Essentially a heated blade that cauterizes as you cut, reducing bleeding. Neato! No need for a hemostat with this thing lying around. Instructions only available in space Chinese so good luck turning it on and not setting the temperature too high...

Chest Compression System
[Image: YUVFQNX.png]
Let me just warn you now.... this machine is one of the scariest and more brutal tools in modern medicine. Do yourself a favor and avoid looking into it anymore if you're squeamish.
This little guy gets strapped to a patient's chest and gives a "little nudge" to the chest cavity in an attempt to kickstart the heart. A CPR machine if you will. Very effective and very harmful for all the good it does. There's an iconic CRACKing noise associated with these as the first compression usually shatters a few ribs (most of them). Eeh. Brutal but it saves lives and would be a nice alternative to the usual epinephrine pen that SS13 crews go through by the boatload... Just be sure not to set the pounds of pressure it uses during compression too high... *wink *wink

That's about it. I'd like to see broken bones added as well but I'm not certain how that would be implemented. Maybe X amount of brute has a chance to break a bone? The treatment could be splints or casts that can be cut off after 15-20 minutes.

Feel free to ignore this last paragraph if you think it's silly or if it's reaching too far.
Hm, been a while since i posted on the forums but i figure it's about time to get back into the swing of things.

Okay, so my two cents is that new tools for more complex surgeries is a great idea, and that the only problem with the "More detailed ragdoll" idea is that our current ragdoll is too small. So here's my solution for that problem.

See that medical computer that's beside nearly all of the operating tables and doesn't really have any commonly used function? Let's make it actually useful. I suggest that it should have a larger, though still relatively unobtrusive, ragdoll popup window that allows you to select smaller parts, kidneys, eyes, lungs etc. We could explain this off as some kind of diagnostic surgical x-ray thing that nanotrasen actually managed to get halfway right for once. This'd help reduce the awkwardness of things like eye surgeries for doctors as you'd just be able to select the eye of the big ragdoll and perform a simpler operation. (Spoon Scalpel Spoon without having to worry about fucking around changing hands)

This would leave hobo-surgery completely unchanged, but a little awkwardness for that should really be expected, hell even encouraged, you aren't using proper medical equipment!