Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inventory QoL Improvements
(01-28-2018, 07:53 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Hell, maybe the pocket slots oughta be able to store multiple small items

More pocket slots then?
There already IS a balancing factor against putting a box in every slot of your backpack: Boxes can't hold normal-size items. If you want to carry fifty grenades, you won't be able to carry a gunĀ or an extinguisher.
(01-28-2018, 07:53 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Or a Rob Liefeld esque exosuit based pouch belt
Lol. No matter how sweet the idea, Liefeld makes it instantly questionable.

I just wanna wear belts without a jumpsuit. Also more belt-slot compatible items, but less of a priority. The first is, admittedly, more of a personal problem. Aside from the 'pretty much all of your shit falls to the floor because somebody magically removed your jumpsuit somehow' problem that doesn't affect me.
Leave boxes alone. What a non-issue.
(01-29-2018, 11:47 AM)EdĀ Venture Wrote: Leave boxes alone. What a non-issue.

I disagree. If this was not an issue we wouldn't be discussing it. I understand that this thread doesn't represent the opinion of the wider goonstation playerbase but the fact that some people are stating they would like to see a change is enough reason to hold a debate about the inventory system.

Personally I get annoyed when I'm opening a box and get bumped - it's especially annoying when there are drugs making you stagger, like lithium - closing the UI (having an overly sensitive mouse doesn't help SO ANGRY ).
(01-29-2018, 04:25 PM)Tombi Wrote: Personally I get annoyed when I'm opening a box and get bumped - it's especially annoying when there are drugs making you stagger, like lithium - closing the UI (having an overly sensitive mouse doesn't help SO ANGRY ).

I'd argue that if you're dosed to hell on drugs, or being shoved around, inventory management should be difficult.
(01-29-2018, 04:30 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 04:25 PM)Tombi Wrote: Personally I get annoyed when I'm opening a box and get bumped - it's especially annoying when there are drugs making you stagger, like lithium - closing the UI (having an overly sensitive mouse doesn't help SO ANGRY ).

I'd argue that if you're dosed to hell on drugs, or being shoved around, inventory management should be difficult.

Why should it be difficult?
If the answer is for realism then why close the whole inventory UI.
Players already have to wrestle with inventory management, why make it harder than is needed?
Yeah having it close on you cause you moved makes no sense. If we are gonna bring realism into this (I feel dirty doing just that) Open up a box in real life and move around with it. I guarantee you that you can still grab and move things around in said box.

Edit: If I can make Cereal on acid and when I am drunk as hell in real life then a shitfaced spaceman should be able to operate a box.
(01-29-2018, 04:56 PM)Tombi Wrote: Why should it be difficult?
If the answer is for realism then why close the whole inventory UI.
Players already have to wrestle with inventory management, why make it harder than is needed?

(01-29-2018, 05:48 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Yeah having it close on you cause you moved makes no sense. If we are gonna bring realism into this (I feel dirty doing just that) Open up a box in real life and move around with it. I guarantee you that you can still grab and move things around in said box.

Edit: If I can make Cereal on acid and when I am drunk as hell in real life then a shitfaced spaceman should be able to operate a box.

Now put the box in a backpack with a fire extinguisher, a gas mask, a beaker of water (don't spill it!), a full first aid kit, and another identical box. Each box should contain a pair of handcuffs, a visually identical pill bottle, a small oxygen tank, a piece of perfectly legible paper, and a pizza. You have a pizza cutter in one of your hands. You are wearing the backpack. Your job is to cut the pizza into slices while running. You may alternatively take the backpack off and have it in your other hand while you perform this if you so wish.

Like, if you're going to argue the "making it hard isn't realistic" point, I'd argue the exact opposite.
I don't even like arguing about things in this game being "Realistic" cause this game is anything but. I find it sad some feel the game should be a simulator instead of a fun game about goofing off in creative ways. I see your point though. I still don't think the window should go away just cause you move or were moved. You're also making alot of assumptions in your examples on various activities that barely anyone if any at all would do.

Edit: I am also currently fine with how things work with the inventory. Maybe cause I've been playing for nine years that I find it all easy to manage. But your argument on how people can't use their inventory when moving or being moved is a weak one currently.
(01-28-2018, 09:37 PM)Maegor Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 07:53 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Hell, maybe the pocket slots oughta be able to store multiple small items

More pocket slots then?

Something along those lines, yeah. We could just treat the pockets as it's own, small item box. If we still want them as a fast access thing, keep the last two items placed in the pockets visible in their current spots, but have a way to dig deeper

Another thing we could use are more items for organinzing specific items. For instance, a wallet could manage multple ID cards, cash, and paper
I really like the idea of a wallet.
Personally against fixing the boxes issue.

Although it would be interesting to see someone develop a pair of cargo pants, like spiders with their eight limbs, cargo pants give you 8 pockets.
Idea : Items have a weight-like stat, depending (only) on the size category. You can only carry so much weight in your backpack, after that you could either not be able to put more items in (or only small items?), or you would slowly drain stamina ar you run.

So if you cram boxes in your backpack, you're still limited to maybe 2 full boxes and 3 big items, or 1 full box and 6 big items, or 3 full boxes and no big item.

That would enable for clothes/special material recipes for better backpacks, that mind your center of gravity to enable you to carry more weight at once. Pairs well with a loot crate.
Could also be used with strenght-giving things, such as the titanium ring or strenght-related mutations.

And at the same time, make it so opened boxes in backpack don't close when moving. Good compromise.

But I guess this kind feature would just piss people off.

Unrelated : When you have a box opened, and the box drop at your feet for whatever reason, the UI for the box appears right in your face, covering your character or whatever, which is annoying as it can happen when you're fighting, need an item in said box (e.g a medicine patch), yet can't see what's happening.
You know, maybe I oughta try my hand at making some box sprites. We could probably use some more variations of those for organizations sake as well