Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inventory QoL Improvements
Store/Equip Action Change

So I recently played a good bit of tgstation, and I noticed something really nice about their store/equip key action. When you press it with an item in your hand, it will place it in a clothing slot. If your pockets or your belt slot is already holding an item, it will store the item in your bag instead. So instead of swapping out items in equipment slots like on goon, the key instead searches your character for a free space and places the item there. 

Your pockets empty and the item is small? It will go in a pocket. Pockets full? It will go on the belt slot if it can be held there. That full as well? Then the item will be put in your bag. I suggest jumping on the tg-server for a second and trying it, to get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Box in a Bag Issue

For one, I'm not sure if this is intended or just a bug. Basically if you have items stored in a box, that's in your bag, you can access it without taking it out of the bag. This is great, but the box's inventory menu seems to disappear when you move. 
I.e. I'll have a box full of tools in my bag, and whenever I accidentally get moved, I have to open the bag and the box again because the menu closes.
Yeah, the disappearing thing seems to relate to all containers that you access from click-dragging. From what I can tell, I think it's designed with containers on the ground/not in your inventory in mind, so that when you move away from a container the now useless UI will now automatically close for you. The problem with this is that it doesn't factor in if said container is in a container that you are holding/wearing.

Changing this would actually be amazing, as I've actually died a few times before from this. (For example: drifting through space will automatically close the window. Good luck surviving spacing as you try to retrieve stuff from your box!) It's also just frustratingly annoying at times when someone is just running around the room you're in and unknowingly keeps on closing the window on you.
try placing an item onto the inventory button icon man shape in the bottom left, it quick swaps/equips stuff in a somewhat similar way to what you are describing. i do not think it puts stuff in bags, though

and yes it would be nice if ppl bumping you or you drifting didnt make it extra tough to get stuff out of a box thats in your backpack
Instead of storing them, v swaps the items (I think) if possible. I prefer that. I'd certainly like a 'store this' button, though.

and yeah, the loss of inventory-popup on movement has done me in a number of times. I'd like that changed if possible.
(12-10-2016, 07:38 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: and yeah, the loss of inventory-popup on movement has done me in a number of times. I'd like that changed if possible.

Hold it in yer feckin hand
(12-10-2016, 10:40 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Hold it in yer feckin hand
Now you've gone an' hurt my feelins. :saddowns:

I keep things in my backpack so that I wont drop them (like on icy floors or space urine). Or when I don't want people to see (or steal) what I'm rummaging through. Or etc.

It's not like grabbing things from a box in a backpack is impossible in RL. It also doesn't hurt(?) gameplay. So if it's possible code-wise I think it'd be a goodthing™.
You know what I'd like? If there was something on the HUD that counted as "yourself" for when you want to use an item that requires clicking/click dragging to yourself. That way you could use it when hiding behind things or inside of pods
(12-11-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: You know what I'd like? If there was something on the HUD that counted as "yourself" for when you want to use an item that requires clicking/click dragging to yourself. That way you could use it when hiding behind things or inside of pods

Oh man, yes. Not being able to do this has killed me in the past. This would be sweet.
is there a way to pick up items that you dropped on the floor of pods or other vehicles? that could be nice. like youve inside a pod, and you pass out and thus dropped your thing. it doesnt pop out of the pod, right? so its still in there. rolled under the seat somewhere
(12-11-2016, 10:48 AM)misto Wrote: is there a way to pick up items that you dropped on the floor of pods or other vehicles? that could be nice. like youve inside a pod, and you pass out and thus dropped your thing. it doesnt pop out of the pod, right? so its still in there. rolled under the seat somewhere

When you or someone exits the pod the dropped items will fall to the ground under the pod.
+1 for inventory ui remaining open for containers within containers you are wearing.
+1 seems more like a bug than a feature.
My personal opinion is that it's an unintentional feature. If you want easy access to something, put it directly in your pack/belt. If you're looking to packrat, you have to deal with not being able to get access to it while sprinting away.
(01-28-2018, 03:59 PM)Mordent Wrote: My personal opinion is that it's an unintentional feature. If you want easy access to something, put it directly in your pack/belt. If you're looking to packrat, you have to deal with not being able to get access to it while sprinting away.

I was always under the impression that it was on purpose to counter people carrying 40 things on their person.

If the grenades are so damn important, put them in your pocket or backpack.
I wouldn't mind some new backpack tech that supports stuff like this. Something like multicompartment bag, where slots are reserved it's own box like internal storage

Or a Rob Liefeld esque exosuit based pouch belt

Hell, maybe the pocket slots oughta be able to store multiple small items