Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IRL Cooking! post your recipes
Bug 
Hello, as it turns out there are quite a few goonstation people who like to cook!  I thought we could have a thread to discuss stuff and post recipes.
My favorite recipes (as in the recipes I've made for others that are usually hits):

Chili Mac & Cheese!
So far I haven't served this to anyone who didn't end up loving it (SpyGuy tends to request it when we're together in person, use this recipe to win ur man's heart (and destroy it and his stomach at the same time, this is not a healthy meal))
For the mac & cheese:
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/02/life-liberty-and-pursuit-of-cheesy.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYqrXsDPdU
Modified a bit from the original.

[Image: YzJOrEJ.jpg]

Ingredients:
1 lb / 16oz / 4 cups / 500g elbow macaroni
3-4 cups / 600-900g grated sharp white cheddar cheese, or whatever
¼ cup / 60g butter
¼ cup / 60g flour
¼ tsp / 1mL dried thyme
⅛ tsp / .5mL chili powder or cayenne*
⅛ tsp / .5mL old bay (optional)
⅛ tsp / .5mL white pepper
¼ tsp / 1mL Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp / 5mL salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp / 5mL Dijon mustard
3 cups / 675mL milk
½ cup / 110g Panko breadcrumbs plus 1 tbsp / 14g butter
*original recipe called for ¼ tsp cayenne but I found that to be both a bit much and less flavorful than the chili powder

Directions:
  1. Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat
  2. When butter begins to sizzle and foam, whisk in flour
  3. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 min
  4. Whisk in thyme, chili powder/cayenne, white pepper, and old bay
  5. Cook for another minute
  6. Whisk in 1 cup COLD milk
  7. Add in 2 more cups milk
  8. Bring up to a simmer on medium heat
  9. Add nutmeg, worcestershire sauce, salt
  10. Simmer on medium-low for 8 minutes
  11. Turn off the heat and add cheese in a couple additions (save ¾ cup for the top)
  12. Add mustard
  13. Cook the pasta (8 ounces for very gooey mac, 16 for lighter, 12 to split the difference)
  14. Dump pasta into casserole dish (no need to butter the dish)
  15. Add sauce and mix with pasta
  16. Add rest of the cheese to the top
  17. Mix the panko and butter, spread on the top of the dish
  18. Put in 400°F / 200°C oven until the top is browned (about 20 minutes)

For the chili sauce:
This recipe is a lot more freeform than the mac and so I don't have exact amounts for the seasoning, sorry!
Ingredients:
1lb / 0.5 kg ground beef (I tend to prefer leaner beef so that when it comes time to drain the fat, there's less to do)
29 oz / 1 lb / 850 mL plain tomato sauce* (the kind that comes in cans or cartons, unseasoned!)
1 clove fresh garlic or some garlic and/or onion powder
chili powder
old bay** (once again, optional)
black and/or white pepper
salt (I use seasoned salt in america and regular salt in sweden, both work fine!)
Worcestershire sauce
apple cider vinegar (optional)
* I'd suggest getting a couple smaller things of tomato sauce the first time around to see if you want to use all of it for a more saucy sauce, or less for a more meaty sauce
** I'm from Baltimore and I like old bay, please forgive me using it so much I can't help it aaa

Directions:
  1. Heat up a large frying pan to medium-low (closer to low than to medium) and brown the ground beef slowly, chopping it up with your spatula/whatever as you go.  You don't want big beef chunks in the sauce, unless you do, in which case don't chop it up too much!!  This recipe is generally all down to your personal preference in the end.
  2. Once the beef is browned, drain the fat and try to dry the meat a bit.  With too much fat left in and on the beef, the sauce gets a bit weird in my experience.
  3. Open the tomato sauce can/carton/whatever and add a bit to the meat.  Add the rest to a large saucepan (one that can hold both the sauce and the meat eventually!) and start heating it on low.
  4. Start dumping some seasoning on the meat!  Add chili powder, garlic/onion powder, pepper, salt, old bay, worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar here.  Be generous with the chili powder, I probably use about 1tsp/5mL of it or more.
  5. If you're using fresh garlic, mince it and add it to the meat along with the seasoning.
  6. Mix that stuff up real good so all the meat is coated with the sauce/seasoning in the pan, and let the meat simmer like that for about 3-5 minutes.  Make sure the heat is pretty low (I always end up setting the heat a bit too high at first and need to turn it down as the meat cooks)
  7. Once the meat has absorbed a bit of the tomato sauce and vinegar, dump it in the saucepan with the rest of the tomato sauce and mix it together real well.

Once both of these are done, keep them separate until they're in someone's bowl to eat!  This makes a lot of both mac and sauce and it's far nicer to reheat seperately and then mix together while you're eating it, I find.
I wouldn't suggest this meal for anyone who has a stomach sensitive to spice/one with an ulcer (having had this stuff with what was probably an ulcer, it hurts a lot)

Potato Pepperoni Mini Quiches!
These are my go-to food when I'm invited to a party and want to bring something.  They're more like an omelet bite than a mini-quiche since there's no crust like a normal quiche, but they're delicious regardless.
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/02/p...-last.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ZSis4y_F8

Ingredients:
4 oz / 110g chorizo or pepperoni
2 tsp / 10mL olive oil
1 russet potato
salt and pepper to taste
vegetable spray, as needed
8 large eggs, beaten with pinch of cayenne and ½ tsp / 2mL salt
about ⅔ cup / 150g grated manchego or cheddar cheese
garlic aioli and chive to garnish (I skip this part personally, they're always gone so fast there's no time for fancy garnish)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C
  2. Dice chorizo/pepperoni
  3. Heat skillet to medium-low and saute chorizo/pepperoni in olive oil for about 3-4 minutes, stirring
  4. Dice potato and add to skillet, turn heat to medium and add pinch of salt
  5. Cook until fork-tender (about 10 minutes)
  6. Transfer potato and chorizo/pepperoni to paper towel lined plate to absorb some of the grease
  7. Let drain for about 10 minutes
  8. Grate cheese
  9. Spray mini-muffin tins with vegetable spray
  10. Add pinch of cheese to bottom of each tin
  11. Spoon potato chorizo mixture into tins, filling about 3/4 (do not pack down)
  12. Crack eggs into bowl, add pinch of cayenne and salt
  13. Beat thoroughly, no separation
  14. Pour eggs into each tin, filling just slightly from the top
  15. Shake and tap tins to settle eggs
  16. Add pinch of cheese to top
  17. Transfer tins to baking sheet
  18. Bake for about 17 minutes

These things will vanish like magic at most parties in my experience.

Swedish Semlor!
Semlor were one of my favorite things I ate while in Sweden, and when I got home I had to try and make some myself.  Apparently this recipe is a good one, because when I returned to Sweden and made some for Spy and his family, they loved them!  I figure if a recipe for a Swedish dish can impress a group of Swedish people, that's pretty good!
I didn't change this recipe at all from the one on the website I got it from, whenever I made it, so posting it in here is mostly for posterity's sake and because I've converted a few of the measurements.
http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-...uns-semlor

[Image: kJIq3vD.jpg]

Ingredients:
425g / 800mL vetemjöl, strong white flour or AP flour
50g / 100mL superfine or confectioner's sugar
½ tsp / 2.5mL salt
1 tsp / 5mL ground cardamom
250g / 250mL milk
75g unsalted butter, softened
7g instant dried yeast OR 25g fresh yeast
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 egg (thinned with water, optional for glazing)

Method if making by hand
If you are making the buns by hand it is easier to add melted butter to the mixture, but otherwise the recipe is exactly the same as using a stand-mixer.

Directions:
  1. Add the flour, the sugar, salt and cardamom to a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
  2. Add the yeast and stir thoroughly. (Skip to below if using jäst för söta degar).
  3. Carefully melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the milk. Heat until just warm, 40ºC (104ºF).
    If you would prefer to use jäst för söta degar, simply crumble the yeast and add it to lukewarm milk instead, reducing the temperature of the milk to 37°C (98°F).
  4. Add the milk mixture and the beaten egg to the flour and stir with a large spoon until you get a sticky dough.
  5. Turn the dough on to a floured work surface and knead for at least 5 minutes until it starts to feel smooth and elastic. If the dough is too wet add a tablespoon of flour at a time, but take care not to add too much as the buns will end up too dry. The dough should feel sticky, but it shouldn't stick to your fingers.
  6. Put the kneaded dough back in the mixing bowl, cover with a clingfilm (plastic wrap) and put in a warm place to rise for 40—90 minutes, until doubled in size.
  7. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
  8. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch once or twice to knock it back. Divide into 12 pieces of roughly equal size, work into evenly shaped balls and place on the baking sheets. Leave to rise, covered with a damp kitchen towel, for about 30 minutes until doubled in size again.
  9. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas 6, fan 180°C).
  10. If desired, lightly glaze the buns with a beaten egg thinned with a tablespoon of water.
  11. Bake the buns in the bottom half of the oven for 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned.
  12. Allow to cool on a wire rack under a kitchen towel.
  13. Once cool, slice a thin portion off the top of each bun and set aside. Using a fork, tease out a small layer of crumbs from each bun and reserve them in a bowl. Grate the almond paste and combine it with the reserved crumbs and 100 g of milk. Blend everything thoroughly until it forms a thick paste.
  14. Whip the cream until stiff.
  15. Place enough of the filling in each hollowed bun so it comes to the edge without going over the side. Spoon or pipe a generous helping of whipped cream on top, trim the lid to a diamond or heart shape if desired and then replace the lid. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.

This recipe makes 12 semlor, which is just under the amount of semlor that can kill you, 14.

Russian Tea Cookies / Wedding Cakes!
I love these things.  They're very floury in taste, but in a delicious way.  Like the name suggests, they go really nicely with some tea!
http://foodwishes.blogspot.se/2015/12/ru...ookie.html
]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1ztb9T3j0]

[Image: MVWmts4.jpg]

Ingredients:
Makes about 28 to 32 Russian Tea Cakes:
1 cup / 2 sticks / 250g room temperature unsalted butter
⅓ cup / 80mL packed cup powdered sugar (plus much more to coat finished cookies)
1 cup / 250g finely chopped walnuts (very lightly toast nuts in dry pan first for best results)
⅛ tsp / .5mL salt
1 tsp / 5mL vanilla extract
2 cups + 2 tbsp / 505mL all-purpose flour
- Roll into just slightly larger than 1-inch balls, bake at 350°F / 175°C for 15 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden

Directions:
  1. Toast walnuts in dry pan over medium heat, let cool and chop
  2. Add sugar to butter in mixing bowl
  3. Add walnuts, salt, vanilla and flour to bowl
  4. Mix ingredients with hands until clumpy and can be rolled into balls
  5. Roll dough into balls and place on baking sheet, placed slightly apart
  6. Put in 350°F / 175°C oven for 15-25 minutes, or until lightly golden
  7. Let cookies sit for 5 minutes
  8. Toss cookies in powdered sugar
  9. Let cookies cool completely
  10. Toss cookies in sugar again
  11. Dust in sugar lightly again to serve (if you wanna be fancy)

Now I wanna see what y'all got!!  Post your best recipes so that we all may kill ourselves with delicious food.
Sadly I've been trained to cook like my mother. On one hand it means I'm a good cook. On the other hand it means my recipes are like this:

Soak cube steak in buttermilk for unspecified time
Chicken fry soaked cube steak
Use grease to make milk gravy
Pour milk gravy over chicken fried cube steak
Serve with mashed potatos and green beans
Eat.

Being from the south-eastern US, most of my food is messy, simple, horrible for your body, and mostly delicious. I'll see if I can find some of grandma's recipes or something. People usually love those.
Yeah, most of the time when I make food there's no recipe (see: chili sauce recipe thing, I had to go stare at my spice rack and the package of tomato sauce I had sitting around to see what I actually use and what amounts, usually I just throw it together from memory and by smelling the spices I have.)  I think there's definitely something to be said for learning how to just make good food without needing the exact recipes written somewhere.
I do love foodwishes recipes though.  I've yet to make something from there that I didn't like.
Teddy's Nacho Sauce:

Take one pack of ground beef (500G / 1LB)
Cook in a pan (make all the bits stop being pink and start being brown)
Optional: drain oil
Add a jar of pasta sauce. Any will do, I recommend 'original', I personally use "Ragu with added ground beef" because I'm hardcore.
Mix well, keep the heat on so it bubbles up a bit.
If possible, simmer this, to let the sauce flavour into the beef and the beef flavour into the sauce
Put into small bowl while still hot

Use as nacho dipping sauce

Keep buying bags of nachos until the dip is gone; if nachos left over, make more dip. Repeat till end of time.

pic:
[Image: XPYtzAq.jpg]

Teddy's Burritos:
Follow the same steps as above, except only use 1/5th or 1/3rd or so of the pasta sauce. 
Use as filling for tortillas.
Wrap tortillas
Eat

Teddy's Home-made Hamburger Helper:
Cook up some pasta, boil it in water till it's soft and wiggly.
Strain off the water
Follow the same steps from the Nacho recipe, except instead of eating with nachos, mix the pasta in.

That's all the recipes I know.
Here's a dumb recipe that's barely a recipe that I can write in less than 5 minutes:

Oyster / Seafood Sauce
Ingredients:
-Ketchup
-Horseradish Paste
-Worcestershire Sauce

Directions:
Mix the three. That's it. How much of each? I actually have no idea and have just winged it every time. Ketchup is the most used ingredient, while Worcestershire sauce and horseradish are used according to taste.

Use: Virtually any invertebrate seafood, and probably fish. The recipe came from a restaurant that used it for oysters. Goes very well with shrimp tails and calamari.
I like to make some kind of sauce thing out of Cholula hotsauce and sour cream.  You generally want more sour cream than hotsauce.  Any flavor of cholula works, (probably some other brands as well but I find cholula has a much nicer flavor than a lot of other kinds of hotsauce,) but I prefer the garlic lime.
It goes nicely with a lot of things - sandwiches, omelets, etc.
AmaranthineApocalypse's Very Good™ Hot Chocolate recipe

You will need:
  • A bar of dark chocolate (Must be at least 70% though I tend to use 85%)
  • Milk
  • Cinnamon
  • Vanilla ice cream
  • Honey

Instructions:
  • Add 3/4 of a cup of milk to a pan for each person
  • Chop up 2 squares (about 20g) of dark chocolate per person (this may vary depending on the brand and strength of chocolate that you use, i'm using Lindt 85% as a reference) with a knife.
  • Add chocolate to milk and begin to heat
  • Add cinnamon to taste
  • Wait until the chocolate is thoroughly melted through and the milk is just beginning to boil, then take it off the heat
  • Pour into cups
  • Add a spoonful of ice cream to each cup and wait for it to melt. This cools the hot chocolate down to around perfect drinking temperature and causes a nice head of froth to develop
  • Add honey to taste
Put This on Everything

salt
pepper
paprika
garlic powder
rosemary

this makes most things taste good. 

fried potatoes, popcorn*, chicken, pork, beef, fish, roasted vegetables

go hog wild!

*add parmesan to make it really pop off
since i am a wage slave i know a bunch of slow cooker recipes. if i had more time....
[Image: vbruch9.jpg]follow your dreams lads

OK, now for some slow cookers!

a recipe my grandmother taught me, you will need:

a decent sized pork roast
bunch of turnips
a few potatoes
a head of cabbage 
salt and pepper
Optional: carrots and a bay leaf (if you feel like being fancy)

season the pork, chop all of the veggies and starches, then throw (dont drop) in in the slow cooker, and set it to low for about 8 or so hours.

Here's another one, I got it from watching iron chef.

you will need:

a large portion of ground beef (80/20, if that's too much fat, wash your beef to get rid of the fat (yes, over the sink))
a liberal amount of dijon mustard, ketchup (heinz will do), and worcestershire sauce
an onion or two
a few eggs

take all of that and mix it with your dirty clean hands in a large bowl. Take however much and make a few patties out of it, then put them in a large pan. Cook to preference, serve with additional toppings if desired.
[Image: Lc28rCd.jpg]
eat
(11-30-2016, 10:44 AM)Mcspizzy Wrote: -snip-

For the burger recipe, add a handful or so of breadcrumbs as well, it helps it bind together better
Spicy Pear Penne Pasta

You will need

2 Japanese Pear or any asian pear
a bunch of Thai peppers
2 chicken breast
cilantro
goat cheese
shallots and garlic
sun dried tomatoes
white wine, balsamic vinegar, and vegetable stock for reduction

1) prepare everything, dicing the shallots and garlic, cut up the tomatoes, cilantro, and peppers (make sure the peppers are cut really thin or you will die) get some water boiling and throw the penne in there, prep the chicken for a quick sear, and cut up the pears of course. bite sized pears.
2) do the shallots and garlic in some olive oil, add salt and pepper.
3) throw the diced pears into the shallots and garlic and let them think about their lives for a bit. add the sliced peppers towards the tail end. stop when the garlic is golden.
4) sear the chicken and remove (do this whenever, actually)
5) add the white wine, then a bit of the vegetable stock and balsamic, and lastly some of the pasta water (pasta should be nearly done). let this reduce (cover it, stir occasionally and when the liquid turns thick, you are done). be sure to slightly re-season with salt and pepper.
6) slice the seared chicken while this reduction is happening, then add them in when the reduction is nearly done or whenever. not too early or you'll have bad boiled chicken.
7) throw everything else in there, but save the cilantro for the last minute. goat cheese to taste but let it melt into the gooooo
8) add the penne to the cauldron and stir it all up.
9) add curare, sarin, and cyanide
10) serve

as this is a wine based sauce, you will want a decent amount, like half a bottle. the reduction does take a while in greater amounts. another way to serve this is to add a half portion of marinara during the reduction phase. the goat cheese will turn it into a creamy marinara and is p good.

this basic concept works well without the goat cheese, no pears or peppers, using a red instead of a white, basil or italian seasoning instead of cilantro. more meats like sausage, more veggies like mushrooms, and linguine pasta. even here, the half portion of marinara works well.
my tasty meat pizza recipe

you will need

2 cups flour (thin crust is for babies)
half an onion
1 half cup tomato sauce
1 half cup of cheeeeeeeeeese
10 slices of pepperoni
1 sausage
1 packet of yeast
1 sausage
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup of water
1 egg

start by warming up a cup of water (i get better results from microwaving it on high for about 15 seconds, you don't want it too hot as it will kill the yeast. ideally you want something around 90 degrees fahrenheit and no more than 110 degrees fahrenheit) and sprinkle the yeast in until the packet is empty. dumping it all in at once will cause clumps to form.
while the yeast is activating, slice up dat fukken onion and put the sausage in a pan with shallow water and cook that sucker
while thats all happening, within the span of 5-10 minutes your yeast should be ready (if you see any clumps while it's dissolving, get a spoon and stir slightly)
now that you've got your water yeast, pour it into a bowl. add salt, sugar, and olive oil and then pour your flour in slowly. not all at once unless youve got a monster stirring arm. check in on your sausage to make sure you haven't burnt it to a fukken crisp.
now comes the fun part. stir that mixture together and you'll have yourself a nice ball of dough. (if you find it to be too dry, just make a divot in the middle and pour a bit of water in and fold and knead. if it's too sticky and tacky, work in a bit more flour.)
now you get the punch the shit out of the dough. fold and punch. do this for a couple minutes, and once you are done, what i like to do is slice the dough ball in half with a pizza cutter or something to have two dough balls for twice the pizza. depending on what rise you like, put both dough balls into the fridge to have a cold rise, or put just 1 in the fridge and leave the other on the counter to rise for your warm rise. leave sit for about an hour and a half or so or however patient you are. by now your sausage should be done so take it out of the pan and slice into 1 inch thick slices. after dough has risen, i like to use my springform pan and push the dough around to fit in it. add tomato sauce, cheese, onion, pepperoni and sausage slices. before you finish, crack open that fukken egg in a bowl and whisk with a fork to make yourself a nice eggwash. add seasonings/other things you think you might like on the crust (i go for parmesan cheese, black pepper, and garlic, and onion powder) and then brush it all on. insert pizza into oven, set to 350 degrees and wait about a half hour, and your tasty delicious pizza will be complete
Here's the "rice based amalgam that either costs close to nothing or an arm and a leg based on where you buy ingredients" recipe my mom used to make that I've been told comes in a brand name form. It's kind of like rice pilaf with tomato and it tastes alright.

One cup of uncooked rice (any kind works)
400 grams lean ground beef or pork or something ground meaty
About half the volume of your rice in broken up rice vermicelli noodles
A solid quarter of a big ol onion (chopped)
3 tbsps cooking oil
1 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (14 ounces each, undrained)
1 tsp salt
2 tsps chili powder

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat; add rice and broken up vermicelli, cook, stirring quite a bit, until it's a little browned.

Add onions, garlic, green peppers and meat. Stir and break up meat; cook until onion is tender and lightly browned.

Add tomatoes and seasonings. Break up your tomatoes a bit. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Eat it whenever you deem it cool enough.
popecrunch's pulled pork recipe
step one get a onion. cut on it some, quarters is fine but if you mince it you'll want to kill yourself later.  take it easy.  log it in the crockpot.
step two toss in a pork shoulder / picnic pork shoulder / boston butt / pork butt. these are all the same thing.  no, don't cut off the skin or the fat cap or the bone.  just - toss it in.
you can cut some slashes in the skin if you want to.
step three dump in about a double handful of brown sugar. this is the most precise measurement you will use in this recipe, so enjoy it.
add in about gluglugluglug of worcestershire sauce (roughly a quarter cup, but really, do not give a shit about amounts)
dump in about glugluglugluglugluglug of cider vinegar, about twice as much as the worcestershire. seriously don't sweat it.
set the crockpot to low and walk away for eight hours. if you want to feel accomplished, you can flip the meat over four hours in but it's absolutely not needed. you can do whatever you want in life, because being in trouble is a fake idea.
okay it's 8 hours later.  good! fish out the meat - this is a little difficult since it'll fall apart - and put it in a bowl. pick off the onion bits that are stuck, fish out the bones and skins and shit.
smash it up with a wooden spoon until it's shredded.
take the liquid that resulted and dump it through a strainer into a pot.  discard the chunky bits, the onions, the little bits and bobs of skin and bone.  toss any meat fragments in the meat bowl.
if you want a little spice, toss a few shakes of red pepper flakes into the meat fluid. reduce by half - which is fancy talk for 'boil the fuck out of it until there's half as much as you started with'. this is your sauce. dump it on the meat.
serve in cheap shitty hamburger buns with a spoonful of store-brand coleslaw IN THE SANDWICH, not on the side.  this will feed a fuckin' battalion for under $20.
if you get sick of sandwiches - how would you get sick of sandwiches - then you can toss a bit of the meat in a fry pan with some ginger and green onion and fry it up until it's little crispy fragments which go AMAZING in rice or in a bun or egg roll sort of thing
a deep in-depth guide on how to cook porkchops mexican style.

1. Gather Porkchops, tomatos, onions, bell peppers, vegtable oil
2. Cut up your vegtables you're using
3. Spread Pepper, seasoning of your choice ( I use this shit i bought from the local mexican store a lot taste pretty gud) all over the pork chops. For extra flavor use garlic salt on the vegtables you chopped up
4. pour vegtable oil in pan and crank that shit to high
5. Toss your porkchops onto pan and watch it cook flipping it over occasionally
6. Once that shit it cooked enough remove it and toss in your vegtables and cook all that shit
7. You now have delicous porkchops and hella good fried vegtables now make some tortillas
8. Enjoy your food you fat piece of shit.