Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goonstation Boardgame Nights
Hey, would you look at that, 5PM EST is a reasonable time for me

Alright, i'm in, i can host if you like, i have a copy of superfight for TTS on my machine
(11-25-2016, 11:27 PM)Xeram Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 09:10 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: I'd say the first games night was a success. 7 players, things didn't get heated and there was only one(successful) table flip and it was right at the end. Hopefully next week has as good of a turnout.

I don't know I'd say that game of Cosmic was pretty heated, what with literally everyone one successful anything from winning and everyone struggling to stop everyone from doing anything.

By not heated I meant nobody wanted to kill one another. It was heated in the sense of it being really close. 
(11-26-2016, 05:16 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Hey, would you look at that, 5PM EST is a reasonable time for me

Alright, i'm in, i can host if you like, i have a copy of superfight for TTS on my machine

We had a disagreement about Superfight last night. Another player and myself did not wish to play it because neither of us enjoyed arguing for the sake of arguing. Especially not about superheroes or whatever. 

Personally, I request that if superfight is going to be played, it be played afterwards. I bought TTS for GSBGN and I don't wish to be excluded from it because I don't like arguing/don't know anything about super heroes.
So i just got this game yesterday and im already in love. Specifically because I found my two favorite board games on it - Red Dragon Inn and Battlestar Galactica. I would absolutely be up to do this weekly.
You actually don't need to know anything about arguing or superheros to play superfight.

The arguments are more for the sake of comedy than anything, so the shittier your argument is the better

I mean, it's not like the argument is going to be serious if you're talking about whether Vegeta in a giant robotic goku or an elephant with a prehensile moustache would be a worse president

While falling from 10000 feet.

Underwater.
(11-26-2016, 02:20 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: You actually don't need to know anything about arguing or superheros to play superfight.

The arguments are more for the sake of comedy than anything, so the shittier your argument is the better

I mean, it's not like the argument is going to be serious if you're talking about whether Vegeta in a giant robotic goku or an elephant with a prehensile moustache would be a worse president

While falling from 10000 feet.

Underwater.

That doesn't seem even remotely enjoyable to me.  I cannot stand arguing for the sake of arguing and another goon shared this opinion.  Let's play something we all enjoy on board game night then if you want to play superfight afterwards, by all means. But I bought table top simulator specifically for board game night and I don't want to miss out because the host chose superfight. 

Another goon dislikes cards against humanity which I was rallying to play until that goon said they didn't enjoy the game. Everyone should have fun on boardgame night.
I've thought a bit, this is what I got:

Trying to be all inclusive with board game night is a hopeless effort I feel. Some people don't like games that involve debate or heavy emphasis on social aspects. Some people don't like board games heavily luck/dice based. Some people don't like short games and some don't like ones that take a long time. Some don't like repeatedly playing the same game. Nobody likes everything.

Whoever has decided to host that week should, in my opinion, pick what they themselves want to play at that week in time. Those who also wish to play can join and those who don't wish to play can continue on no worse for wear until something they'd enjoy comes along. If we continually try to be all-inclusive/encompassing all the time, we will just end up doing the same games until they become stale and attendance dwindles.

Additionally, I don't feel it's fair to write off being able to play an entire game others might if one person potentially does not want to.
2 out of 7 people who played did not want to play superfight. That's just over a quarter of the players and I bought this game solely to play board game night with you guys. There aren't a lot of people who seem interested so it's probably not a good idea to ostracise players. Especially when it's a quarter of the players.

It's not a big ask for you guys to hold off playing it until after we play a game not about arguing.
lets play mousetrap
I'd so be up for this, but my steam account is broken.
I'm a big fan of Mansions of Madness and Doom: The boardgame
(11-27-2016, 02:17 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: lets play mousetrap

Do they have physics props for old boardgames like this? I'd be down for something like this or Trouble. Or something not TOO horribly grognard.
Someone should host betrayal at the house on the hill that game is the shit.
Couple other reccomendations (not sure if there are models for them or not)
1. Catan
2. Ticket to Ride
3. Pandemic
4. Android Netrunner
5. Sorry

PS: we should do a DND campaign over roll20 (https://roll20.net/) and discord.
(11-27-2016, 04:01 PM)New525 Wrote: Someone should host betrayal at the house on the hill that game is the shit.
1. Catan
2. Ticket to Ride
3. Pandemic
4. Android Netrunner
5. Sorry

I can't imagine a D&D campaign ending in anything but tears...

Tears of laughter and sorrow.
I vote for Betrayal at House on the Hill, even though I can't play.
(11-27-2016, 04:01 PM)New525 Wrote: Someone should host betrayal at the house on the hill that game is the shit.
1. Catan
2. Ticket to Ride
3. Pandemic
4. Android Netrunner
5. Sorry

You can play D&D over TTS iirc. Which we should do, if we have someone who's a competent DM. I've played it like once and I don't even know how to make a character.